Player Discussion Nick Cousins (C)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I like this signing. We needed depth in the lineup. Staois did a really good job addressing the weaknesses and filling holes while managing the cap. Getting 4 players for the bottom 6 is a pretty big change and it'll be great to have legit NHLers in those spots. Young guys will have to fight for spots which is always what you want.

Just need another Dman to solidify the 3rd pair.

I'm impressed given the tough task that was in front of him after the season.
If they didnt have Hamonic this would be so much easier. But they need the 1 million in cap space they currently have with the 22 man roster. Hopefully the hammer can bounce back this year. I have high hopes for JBD this year, he has shown some strong defensive reads if he had a big summer and put on some muscle he could take the next step. Shattenkirk or Scandella rounding out the D would have been great.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We have also been asking for a long time what is this Ottawa team. With a captain like Brady given how unique the player is the identity should have always been built around what he brings which is physical hockey thats played on the edge. Its nice to see a GM that is actually building an identity, Ottawa is going to be a very hard team to play against. Win or lose you wont forget what its like to have to play against them. They got alot more physical/pesky this offseason. I dont think teams are going to look forward to coming into this the CTC this year. They have a coach that likes heavy physical hockey now too. This isnt your old Ottawa Senators come in and score some goals and take an easy 2 points. Every team is going to have to work for it. Which leads me back to what I was trying to explain they wont have a skill 4th line with players like Gaudette on it. Every line will be hard to play against. Crookshank can play a high energy type of hockey so I could see him getting some looks. Its likely him and or Ostapchuk that make the team as the 13th forward. I expect with injuries both of them play the majority of the season up in Ottawa.

Travis Green had team shirts made that said 'Start heavy' In Utica in which he always started his 4th line. I am expecting a similar mantra.
Agree. This isn't going to be Jacques Martin's Ottawa Senators that he wanted to avoid "that stuff", this team is going to play a hard physical game & punish teams. It is what they need to be, every NHL team it seems look to be getting bigger & tougher, not smaller & softer except Montreal maybe.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I'm gonna be that asshole that comes from the other board and gives his 2 cents. This is a nice win for Ottawa. Everyone in that locker room will love him and every other team will hate him. He'll draw you more penalties than he'll take just because he's a shit disturber.

As for on the ice, he's a 4th line energy guy, there's really not much to analyze. He was actually on the 2nd line for Florida for a lot of the year until they got Tarasenko oddly enough and that role didn't work out because he's a 4th liner. The Sens/Panthers games will be even more fun and with Brady, Stutzle, Perron, Cousins, everyone will hate Ottawa. And trust me, it's way more fun to be a fan of a hated team than a pitied team.
An asshole would just spew some garbage, you provided thoughtful insight which is appreciated. Sens opening night against the Panthers should be an interesting game.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
We have also been asking for a long time what is this Ottawa team. With a captain like Brady given how unique the player is the identity should have always been built around what he brings which is physical hockey thats played on the edge. Its nice to see a GM that is actually building an identity, Ottawa is going to be a very hard team to play against. Win or lose you wont forget what its like to have to play against them. They got alot more physical/pesky this offseason. I dont think teams are going to look forward to coming into this the CTC this year. They have a coach that likes heavy physical hockey now too. This isnt your old Ottawa Senators come in and score some goals and take an easy 2 points. Every team is going to have to work for it. Which leads me back to what I was trying to explain they wont have a skill 4th line with players like Gaudette on it. Every line will be hard to play against. Crookshank can play a high energy type of hockey so I could see him getting some looks. Its likely him and or Ostapchuk that make the team as the 13th forward. I expect with injuries both of them play the majority of the season up in Ottawa.

Travis Green had team shirts made that said 'Start heavy' In Utica in which he always started his 4th line. I am expecting a similar mantra.

Its honestly puzzling to me that Dorion and DJ in the first couple years also seemed intent on building a punishing, hard to play against team. Physically dominant if nothing else. And then that plan seemed to completely go away over the next few years and they never found a real identity as a team. And by the time they were fired, this team was certainly not very hard to play against, and not built to play that way quite frankly outside of a few players.

Staios is going back in that direction and I have no problems with it.

Last edited:

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Its honestly puzzling to me that Dorion and DJ in the first couple years also seemed to intent on building a punishing, hard to play against team. Physically dominant if nothing else. And then that plan seemed to completely go away over the next few years and they never found a real identity as a team. And by the time they were fired, this team was certainly not very hard to play against, and not built to play that way quite frankly outside of a few players.

The actions never matched the words unfortunately. Pierre never acquired the players needed to play the style that management and coaching claimed the team was trying to play.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
And with that being said, Cousins + Perron to this teams bottom 6 adds a heap of snarl into this lineup.

Along with Greig, and possibly McEwen and Ostapchuk mixed in there, and Kleven on the backend, the Sens are defintely going to be much more difficult team to play against going forward.

Our bottom 6 was totally lost in terms of what kind of role they needed to be playing last season. And I feel like with the veteran cup winners like Amadio, Perron and Cousins coming on board - there will be no confusion down there at all when it comes to what the team needs them do on a nightly basis. These guys know exactly what they have to do.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And with that being said, Cousins + Perron to this teams bottom 6 adds a heap of snarl into this lineup.

Along with Greig, and possibly McEwen and Ostapchuk mixed in there, and Kleven on the backend, the Sens are defintely going to be much more difficult team to play against going forward.

Our bottom 6 was totally lost in terms of what kind of role they needed to be playing last season. And I feel like with the veteran cup winners like Amadio, Perron and Cousins coming on board - there will be no confusion down there at all when it comes to what the team needs them do on a nightly basis. These guys know exactly what they have to do.
IF the coaching staff last season wanted to have the team play a physical, playoff type game, they could have demanded that from the players on all lines. I have doubts that they did want that type of team play; we did not see much of it. I also did not see Dorion draft or trade for that type of player.

We shall see if Green coaches that way and whether Staios will draft that way.

Cousins has the reputation of being a hated player due to his style of play; his stat line is 20 points and 35 PIMs (lower PIMs than I thought he would have given his rep). I am not sure what Perron's style is; his stats line suggests 50 points and 50 PIMs. We shall see what we got shortly. It has been a long layoff from hockey.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Its honestly puzzling to me that Dorion and DJ in the first couple years also seemed intent on building a punishing, hard to play against team. Physically dominant if nothing else. And then that plan seemed to completely go away over the next few years and they never found a real identity as a team. And by the time they were fired, this team was certainly not very hard to play against, and not built to play that way quite frankly outside of a few players.

Dorion and DJ wanted a physical, hard to play against team. Then they just went and got big physical players. Problem was these players ranged from the not very good to downright awful (Coburn, J. Brown, Gudbranson, Watson, Paquette, etc.). Being hard to play against is a lot more nuanced than just big and willing to crosscheck.

Our previous management didn't understand that; here's hoping that new management does.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This is the guy I wanted all summer long. I think Staios sees the game and the team as most of us do.

Reactions: LiseL

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Agree. This isn't going to be Jacques Martin's Ottawa Senators that he wanted to avoid "that stuff", this team is going to play a hard physical game & punish teams. It is what they need to be, every NHL team it seems look to be getting bigger & tougher, not smaller & softer except Montreal maybe.

Team / Number of players / Games experience / Average Height / Average Weight / Average Age

Ottawa Senators218 152186.48 cm / 6'1"89.76 kg / 196 lbs27.81
Montréal Canadiens246 357185.00 cm / 6'1"91.50 kg / 201 lbs25.50
Toronto Maple Leafs2310 328187.09 cm / 6'2"92.09 kg / 203 lbs28.70
Boston Bruins238 730188.30 cm / 6'2"93.30 kg / 205 lbs27.09
Florida Panthers239 137186.91 cm / 6'1"88.74 kg / 194 lbs27.65
Detroit Red Wings2210 114187.18 cm / 6'2"91.73 kg / 201 lbs29.36
Buffalo Sabres245 912186.75 cm / 6'1"90.92 kg / 198 lbs25.38
Tampa Bay Lightning239 445185.61 cm / 6'1"90.04 kg / 198 lbs28.39

Dorion and DJ wanted a physical, hard to play against team. Then they just went and got big physical players. Problem was these players ranged from the not very good to downright awful (Coburn, J. Brown, Gudbranson, Watson, Paquette, etc.). Being hard to play against is a lot more nuanced than just big and willing to crosscheck.

Our previous management didn't understand that; here's hoping that new management does.

Exactly, archaic vision and understanding of the game. The thing is that this game has evolved rapidly. Some people, Dorion and co are amongst them, can't seem to adjust to it at the same pace.

The pro scouting choices were downright terrible. That 2020 offseason before the shortened season in 2021 was possibly the worst stretch of hockey management in history.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Team / Number of players / Games experience / Average Height / Average Weight / Average Age

Ottawa Senators218 152186.48 cm / 6'1"89.76 kg / 196 lbs27.81
Montréal Canadiens246 357185.00 cm / 6'1"91.50 kg / 201 lbs25.50
Toronto Maple Leafs2310 328187.09 cm / 6'2"92.09 kg / 203 lbs28.70
Boston Bruins238 730188.30 cm / 6'2"93.30 kg / 205 lbs27.09
Florida Panthers239 137186.91 cm / 6'1"88.74 kg / 194 lbs27.65
Detroit Red Wings2210 114187.18 cm / 6'2"91.73 kg / 201 lbs29.36
Buffalo Sabres245 912186.75 cm / 6'1"90.92 kg / 198 lbs25.38
Tampa Bay Lightning239 445185.61 cm / 6'1"90.04 kg / 198 lbs28.39

Exactly, archaic vision and understanding of the game. The thing is that this game has evolved rapidly. Some people, Dorion and co are amongst them, can't seem to adjust to it at the same pace.

The pro scouting choices were downright terrible. That 2020 offseason before the shortened season in 2021 was possibly the worst stretch of hockey management in history.
Every team is getting bigger & tougher, people have been saying the game is changing for decades yet look at the playoffs, the most penalized team in the NHL just won the cup. Vegas won the cup with the biggest defence in the NHL, you can't win a SC today with Brannstrom type players on your team. Even your favourite team the Habs are getting bigger, Hughes made the Rangers bigger & tougher. The game is evolving slowly not rapidly as the playoffs just proved, you're just blind to it. Look at the guys Staois just drafted.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Every team is getting bigger & tougher, people have been saying the game is changing for decades yet look at the playoffs, the most penalized team in the NHL just won the cup. Vegas won the cup with the biggest defence in the NHL, you can't win a SC today with Brannstrom type players on your team. Even your favourite team the Habs are getting bigger, Hughes made the Rangers bigger & tougher. The game is evolving slowly not rapidly as the playoffs just proved, you're just blind to it. Look at the guys Staois just drafted.

But there is a very crucial distinction to make. Not all "big" players are equal... Erik Gudbranson or Erik Brannstrom? Give me Brannstrom. Erik Brannstrom or Moritz Seider? Give me Seider.

It's not about adding size and height, it's about adding more talent and hockey IQ, preferably with the most size and strength as possible.

Dorion and our scouting staff sometimes have been able to, but sometimes went straight for size/strength and it blew up in their face

The Panthers have understood this. Barkov is 6'3 and 214 lbs but elite hockey sense and skill. These players don't grow on trees. Look at a guy like Forsling, only 6'0 and 198 lbs, many teams would pass on him but look how good he became the last few years...

It's about finding a balance, going for skill without consideration for size is stupid but going for size without consideration for skill, mobility, hockey IQ is even more stupid. And frankly this is what you have done for so long.

You're the most archaic poster on this board, and everyone knows it. Just you saying "you're just blind to it" basically confirms all this. But I am not blind to anything. You have biases that date to when I was not even born. I have had enough with your low BS shots. To think I have defended you for so long when people were literally laughing at you. Now I laugh with them retroactively

OK and I'll say this for all the trolls out there : this is downright stupid. I have been on this board for 16 years, I have been conducting the prospects polls for a very long time, I have been defending the Ottawa Senators for almost as long on the main boards and have had plenty of posts "against" the Habs. So anyone coming up with these is acting super childish and stupid.

It seriously would make me want to reconsider being part of this fanbase but then I realize it's just a handful of lunatics making these stupid childish remarks and I feel at home again.. You might think "oh we're ok, us the Ottawa Senators have well enough fans, we can afford to push away any fans that are not full time homers!". Well, I don't think that's true, the Sens fanbase is surrounded by hordes of Leafs/Habs fans.

It's not because I am not a stupid homer and I am able to recognize others teams great work (like if the Habs were the ONLY team I have praised during our 7 years of FUTILITY :laugh:) so just stop with your stupid BS

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
But there is a very crucial distinction to make. Not all "big" players are equal... Erik Gudbranson or Erik Brannstrom? Give me Brannstrom. Erik Brannstrom or Moritz Seider? Give me Seider.

It's not about adding size and height, it's about adding more talent and hockey IQ, preferably with the most size and strength as possible.

Dorion and our scouting staff sometimes have been able to, but sometimes went straight for size/strength and it blew up in their face

The Panthers have understood this. Barkov is 6'3 and 214 lbs but elite hockey sense and skill. These players don't grow on trees. Look at a guy like Forsling, only 6'0 and 198 lbs, many teams would pass on him but look how good he became the last few years...

It's about finding a balance, going for skill without consideration for size is stupid but going for size without consideration for skill, mobility, hockey IQ is even more stupid. And frankly this is what you have done for so long.

You're the most archaic poster on this board, and everyone knows it. Just you saying "you're just blind to it" basically confirms all this. But I am not blind to anything. You have biases that date to when I was not even born. I have had enough with your low BS shots. To think I have defended you for so long when people were literally laughing at you. Now I laugh with them retroactively

OK and I'll say this for all the trolls out there : this is downright stupid. I have been on this board for 16 years, I have been conducting the prospects polls for a very long time, I have been defending the Ottawa Senators for almost as long on the main boards and have had plenty of posts "against" the Habs. So anyone coming up with these is acting super childish and stupid.

It seriously would make me want to reconsider being part of this fanbase but then I realize it's just a handful of lunatics making these stupid childish remarks and I feel at home again.. You might think "oh we're ok, us the Ottawa Senators have well enough fans, we can afford to push away any fans that are not full time homers!". Well, I don't think that's true, the Sens fanbase is surrounded by hordes of Leafs/Habs fans.

It's not because I am not a stupid homer and I am able to recognize others teams great work (like if the Habs were the ONLY team I have praised during our 7 years of FUTILITY :laugh:) so just stop with your stupid BS
Habs fan….. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad