News Article: Ottawa Senators' Craig Anderson rips his mates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
Give Andy the C.

I'm actually in favor of this.

The team beats the Ducks 6-2 in a stellar game where everyone played extremely well. This team CAN make the playoffs and has the POTENTIAL to be a contender (maybe) but it will require an insane amount of dedication from the players who aren't producing or playing up to their standards.

I think Zib, 9mm, Chiasson, Karlsson, Macarthur, Turris, Cowen, and Phillips all need to be playing with more fire.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'm not sure what this has to do with Andy's comments about the team's play.

Andy was just frustrated he didn't see a couple of shots that ended up in the net, there really is no more to it.

Fact is those goals had nothing to do with Andy's rambling whatsoever.

IMO the major issue the Senators have is the lack of skill/ability in the bottom six, coupled with a lack of experience on D and in the top six.

It has nothing to do with soft and everything to do with the subpar play of the veterans in the bottom six and generally the lack of experience.

The veteran players Legwand, Michalek, Greening, Condra, Neil, and Smith just aren't good enough and adding Lazar, Pageau, Chaisson/Stone to the mix only increases the inexperience factor.

IMO there is no simple solution, with the best option being to exercise patience.

Also IMO Murray is 100% correct, the team needs a top six winger that has experience and has shown an ability to produce points.

This would help the Turris line immeasurably as well as add an experience factor.

However, as Murray has also stated obtaining a player that fits the need isn't going to be easy, nor as he states, is it going to be easy to shed a few of the underperforming veteran guys.

Which brings this back to fans just have to be patient while the youth develops.

The Zibad line is fine, just needs games to gain the requisite experience.

The D is adequate IMO now that Methot is back, again just needs games.

The major issues with this team are the bottom six.

The team
Defensively inexperience on D and lack of Turris, MacArthur, Hoffman, Condra

Turris, MacArthur and Hoffman are not big strong players and may lose puck battles, but they aren't soft.

Predictability is part is every forward is looking to move the puck to the D, not to the net. Simple reason, this team has become programmed to create all offense through EK, this needs to change IMO.

This isn't a criticism of EK, but the fact is every team in the league knows the pattern and for the most apart are preventing the Sens D from being an integral part of the offense.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Neil and Smith should not be lumped together at all.

Neil busts his ass on the ice, always finishes his checks, and seems to enjoy crashing the net. Big guys like Chia and Stone don't enjoy it, and never do it with relish. It's the same knock on Greening, who at least gets fired up on the ice.

I fear that Chia will soon wear out his welcome, though Stone will be fine as long as he's able to put up points.

Like Cameron said, maybe it's getting slapped around by your brothers. It's an attitude, and it can't be taught.

Imagine if Stone had a fraction of Neil's attitude, or even Cowen had Boro's? They would be such better players.

Gryba, Cowen, Chia, Stone, all big guys with little natural aggression. Phillips, Pageau, and Ryan are the most aggressive guys on the team, with honourable mention to Mac, and Michalek.

Can you imagine how aggravating it must be to watch a soft team play in front of you while you bail them out over and over again..

Cowen needs to focus on positional play before he worries about developing a mean streak. Give him time to learn how to use his frame without sacrificing positional play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Andy was just frustrated he didn't see a couple of shots that ended up in the net, there really is no more to it.

IMO the major issue the Senators have is the lack of skill/ability in the bottom six, coupled with a lack of experience on D and in the top six.

It has nothing to do with soft and everything to do with the subpar play of the veterans in the bottom six and generally the lack of experience.

The veteran players Legwand, Michalek, Greening, Condra, Neil, and Smith just aren't good enough and adding Lazar, Pageau, Chaisson/Stone to the mix only increases the inexperience factor.

IMO there is no simple solution, with the best option being to exercise patience.

Also IMO Murray is 100% correct, the team needs a top six winger that has experience and has shown an ability to produce points.

I would argue that's our second biggest need (after a healthy partner for Karlsson).

I really with Spezza hadn't nixed the deal to the preds. While he wouldn't be doing what he is with Crosby, Hornqvist would have given us a much stronger, more experienced top 6.

This would help the Turris line immeasurably as well as add an experience factor.

However, as Murray has also stated obtaining a player that fits the need isn't going to be easy, nor as he states, is it going to be easy to shed a few of the underperforming veteran guys.

Which brings this back to fans just have to be patient while the youth develops.
Patience is definately the best option imo.

The team

huh, I think you missed something here

Turris, MacArthur and Hoffman are not big strong players and may lose puck battles, but they aren't soft.
Agreed

Predictability is part is every forward is looking to move the puck to the D, not to the net. Simple reason, this team has become programmed to create all offense through EK, this needs to change IMO.

This isn't a criticism of EK, but the fact is every team in the league knows the pattern and for the most apart are preventing the Sens D from being an integral part of the offense.

Idk, I still feel as though the difference betwee Karlsson with Phillips and without him is unreal. With Phillips, defenders can rush him and leave Phillips unchecked knowing that if Karlsson makes the easy play to Phillips, the danger is gone. Without Phillips, the opposition respects the D to D pass, and when it's made there is still a reasonable chance we enter the O-zone with control.

The numbers back it up too.

Karlsson's partner |5v5 TOI|Pts |Pts/60 |GF% |CF%
W Phillips|316.78 |3|0.57|36|46.5
W/O Phillips|496.15|8|0.97 |50|53.6

Those two together just isn't working this year. It's not the whole problem, but imo it's a big part of it. I guess it ties into what you were saying about predictability, except imo it stems from the lack of depth on D not of the forwards.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

The team

Bull**** cop out to blame the two bottom six vets for lack of heart and grit, which is what the coach and Andy are saying is missing. It's also what many of us who watch the team play SEE is missing.

Neil played his heart out as he always does. Rammed the net, stood up for team mates, and pissed people off as per usual. Legwand is not an aggressive player but is a steadying presence. He has never been known as an aggressive player so I didn't expect much in that area. Michalek plays hard everytime he hits the ice, and right now, is the one of the only forwards on the ice who actively seems to piss the other team off with his aggressive play. Most of these guys play the least minutes of ES minutes, it's the youngsters that carry the play, and win/lose games. The vets are there for support and guidance.

It has everything to do with playing soft. Andy's comments were an outburst after a slow burn of weak net front play that we have seen for most of the season. That's on the top six guys as much as the bottom. The frustrating bit is that when everyone has been chastised they go out and play a solid, hard game... then most drift off again and play soft.

Inexperience shows in the youngsters not understanding that they are in a dog fight EVERY NIGHT. Sorry to lash out, but your opinion, to me, exemplifies so much of what is wrong with the team, and worse still it makes excuses as to why they can continue to play this way.

The season is half way over. the kids need to learn to play hard and fight for wins, or we will continue to lose. Our three vets can't do it alone, and our biggest forwards need to start using their frames. Tenaciousness is hard to teach though, and is more often found in smaller players than big ones.

Cowen needs to focus on positional play before he worries about developing a mean streak. Give him time to learn how to use his frame without sacrificing positional play.

Agreed, I have adopted a very patient approach to Cowen

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Funny part about this is that the players that are know for being Physical, and rough are out with injuries. Everyone seems to think the team is better off without Neil and Smith (and in some cases Boro), and then point out that we're too soft now that they're gone.

Imo, we need at least one guy like Boro in the lineup. Smith would be ok if he was playing like he did 2-3 years ago. Neil is fine for <10 mins a night, but I don't like how it changes the dynamic of our lineup.

You don't have to be a physical player to play hard. Everyone has to compete, Turris is out there for a leisurely skate most nights. Would it kill him to take the puck to the net once in a while, he is predictable.

That is what Aanderson is saying, they probably weren't mentally prepared to play either. Which again is about being tough and competing. Im surprised Anderson hasn't had a melt down earlier constantly bailing out this team. The comment about the top of the roster to the bottom was pretty telling. Top end guys not competing and ready to play resulting in a trickle down effect has been a huge problem since Alfredsson left, probably the biggest problem. Shift to shift night to night compete level. Smith is the definition of a guy who not only takes shifts off but it has increased to full weeks almost months now. No accountability.

I would like to see Boro back in the lineup but Neil and Smith are so terrible at puck possession I don't really care to have either back. Old Chris Neil for sure but not where his game is now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

The team

'Andys Rambling'

Unbelievable that you think this, he is the only viable leader left on this team. He bails everyone else's brutal inconsistent play nightly. He has every reason to speak up.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
'Andys Rambling'

Unbelievable that you think this, he is the only viable leader left on this team. He bails everyone else's brutal inconsistent play nightly. He has every reason to speak up.

Not to mention he barely even said anything

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
You don't have to be a physical player to play hard. Everyone has to compete, Turris is out there for a leisurely skate most nights. Would it kill him to take the puck to the net once in a while, he is predictable.

That is what Aanderson is saying, they probably weren't mentally prepared to play either. Which again is about being tough and competing. Im surprised Anderson hasn't had a melt down earlier constantly bailing out this team. The comment about the top of the roster to the bottom was pretty telling. Top end guys not competing and ready to play resulting in a trickle down effect has been a huge problem since Alfredsson left, probably the biggest problem. Shift to shift night to night compete level. Smith is the definition of a guy who not only takes shifts off but it has increased to full weeks almost months now. No accountability.

I would like to see Boro back in the lineup but Neil and Smith are so terrible at puck possession I don't really care to have either back. Old Chris Neil for sure but not where his game is now.

I remember 2 years ago when Seabrook gave Toews an absolute earful in the penalty box after several games of poor play and idiotic penalties.

Toews definitely felt it after that.

These guys need to be more accountable, I feel that it is more like "Oh I made a mistake, Oh we were skating as slow as molasses last night, Oh we failed on two occasions of 5-on-3 PPs let's just put that behind us and move on!". While I understand that it is important to move on and not dwell, it's equally as important to look at yourself after a game and ask yourself how well you really played and criticize yourself

Just my opinion though, have no idea what goes on in that locker room.

Last edited:

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010

The team beats the Ducks 6-2 in a stellar game where everyone played extremely well. This team CAN make the playoffs and has the POTENTIAL to be a contender (maybe) but it will require an insane amount of dedication from the players who aren't producing or playing up to their standards.

I think Zib, 9mm, Chiasson, Karlsson, Macarthur, Turris, Cowen, and Phillips all need to be playing with more fire.

I was at that game. Not trying to take anything away from the win because it was a great effort by the Sens, but the Ducks looked lost and we're dealing with injuries to Perry and their goaltenders, as well as had played the night before.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Opinions seem to be all over the place. While most wanted the tough guys out of the lineup we are now hearing the team is too soft. Some blame the young guys others blame the vets but I think the team simply isn't good enough on a consistent basis for various reasons. While we have size on this team our big guys like Chiasson, Stone, Zibanejad, Ryan, Legwand, Wiercioch, Ceci, Michalek, Gryba, Smith & Greening all play too nice & none of them play with a mean streak. We don't lack size but we do lack playing with some grit. Neil & Boroweicki are the only two guys on this team that play with an edge in every game & on every shift that other teams need to watch out for. Greening, Cowen, Gryba & Smith occassionaly play tough but not enough. Ottawa needs a couple more mean players that can take other teams off their game & Ottawa has become an easy city to play in, that too has to change. Pittsburgh has a lot of skill but they also played with a lot of grit when they were winning championships.

Teams need to know that when they come to Ottawa to play they have to know it is going to be a grinding & tough game. I don't see a tough team in Ottawa these days, I see a team with some up & coming young guys & some vets on there way out the door. They are neither a tough team to play against or a high scoring skilled team. They are rather a soft & fragile team that can fall apart easily, if they get rattled early or get mediocre goaltending. They're okay but nothing special yet, if they get good goaltending then they can make a game of it, if not, they will fold.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Playing hard doesn't mean having a bunch of tough guys.

It means having guys who will do anything to win. Take on some bruises by parking in front of the net, going with gusto into the corners and heavy traffic areas to get pucks, playing hard every shift....that sort of thing.

Perfect example was Doug Gilmour. He was a skinny little thing, but was a pitbull on the ice and had some skill.

Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
I was at that game. Not trying to take anything away from the win because it was a great effort by the Sens, but the Ducks looked lost and we're dealing with injuries to Perry and their goaltenders, as well as had played the night before.

I was at the game as well, and I sort of agree, but still, from the Senators side of things I saw speed, passing ability and the chances produced were mostly quality.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I was at the game as well, and I sort of agree, but still, from the Senators side of things I saw speed, passing ability and the chances produced were mostly quality.

I enjoyed that the Sens smelt blood in the water and kept coming at Anaheim like piranhas.

Typically, I find the Sens sink to the level of their opponent (i.e. Sabres) and rarely come out with energy against bottom teams.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Give Andy the C.

Urgh, not the old "give the goalie the captaincy" argument. So you're just going to not have a captain for 30 games when your backup is in goal? What about ref communication? If I recall the NHL doesn't allow the goalie to be the official team captain.

the Luongo experiment is a great example of why you shouldn't do it.

I think this is completely untrue. It's obvious the team needs a few upgrades in skill in our top 6. Blaming the bottom 6 players is ridiculous. They're doing their job. If anything, due to the lack of top end scoring (not that it's necessarily 7 and 16's fault, they're trying to play in a position that is over their heads) the bottom 6 is relied upon on this team more than most others'.

I fully agree, however I think if we want long-term success we'll need a top line centre to play with Ryan (and Hoffman?) to bump Turris and Mac to Line 2.

Again, I couldn't disagree more.

I enjoyed that the Sens smelt blood in the water and kept coming at Anaheim like piranhas.

Typically, I find the Sens sink to the level of their opponent (i.e. Sabres) and rarely come out with energy against bottom teams.

I think it's a consistent problem the Sens have often had for over a decade. Playing to the level of the competition, instead of playing their own game.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Whenever players or coaches are talking about the leadership group on the team, Andersons name always comes up. Nice to see him speak up.

Sure, the Sens are often outskilled, lacking superstars, still building and developing. What's your point? That we cant win so shouldnt try. Anderson aint accepting it. Not in this country club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad