GDT: Ottawa Senators at Colorado Snowslides| 9PM EST | TSN5, RDS1, ESPN+ | Must win situation™ - Late Night Edition

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
9 times out of 10 in that situation, a Dman in Manson's position would have passed it d to d rather than take that shot, since it's a nothing shot that you'd never expect to amount to anything..
It's gotta be so easy to gameplan against Ottawa. The whiteboard just reads "Put pucks on net from anywhere. They WILL go in."

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Should have been whistled dead. But who is covering that guy in front of the net? Why is tkatchuk on the ground

Kleven had a rookie moment. That's on him imo.

He's been playing great but if Chabot or Sandeson are on the left side that goal doesn't happen imo.

He stumbled and fell seconds before that clip which gave Mitt more space and then he failed to cover the guy in front of the net.

Dmen cover the front of the net, not forwards.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Lack of D depth hurting us again. Wonder what our W-L record is with and without Zub?

Actually, it's lack of depth in general, having Pinto last night would have stabilized our play too. This team needs close to 100% health to have a chance to compete. But that's just not going to happen in general, and especially when it comes to the Sens.

Positives:

a) Chabot had a great game. He's playing with a lot of confidence right now.

b) Giroux with another great game.

c) there is no c).
Agreed. If you take 2 of our better players out of the lineup, there isn’t sufficient depth to cover the deficit. Might be true of quite a few teams though. I liked Giroux’s game too. He’s a fierce competitor and a leader.

I didn’t read through this thread, but I suspect there will be the per usual heavy dose of blaming everything on one or two players. That one goal that went slowly through Forsberg had two players standing in front of him. As all coaches say, create traffic in front of the net and take away the goalie’s eyes.
I watched the first two periods and then had to stop. Too frustrating.

The thing that I've found to be true of this team for 3 or 4 seasons now is that they just don't win enough puck battles. You watch those first two periods and it seemed like every single time there was a loose puck it was the Avs player coming away with it.

I haven't quite convinced myself whether that is an effort issue or just a lack of talent.
The Avs were beating the Senators to the puck as well and looked fast in comparison to the Senators. The Avs were able to skate out of their zone easily too for good chunks of the game. We didn’t have the forecheck going and didn’t keep it in the Avs zone for good chunks of the game. Again, the pace & speed advantage favoured the Avs.
Sens have played the 3rd hardest schedule thus far, and have the 4th easiest schedule remaining
Yep, we played 2 of the best teams in the Western conference and league in the last 2 games. We actually looked good against VGK for 55 minutes but just couldn’t handle the last 5 minute surge.

We need to capitalize and get the Ws against weaker teams and divisional opponents. Let’s see how we do against the Blues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don’t know the one goal counted, when Norris steals the puck, then someone takes it from him. Should have been blown dead. Tkachuk went and yelled at Chris Lee, to no avail.

Chabot was skating well last night.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There’s five teams with 9 points and one more point than our 8 points in our division. But, they have played one more game than us (9 versus 8).

Its not that bad, but we do need to get those Ws against weaker opponents and divisional rivals in order to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Alex1234

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Against Colorado, the team allows a goal in the dying minute of both period 1 AND 2. Actually ends up tying the game with less than 10 minutes left, and still loses in regulation.

Against Vegas, the team blows a lead in the 3rd period and loses in regulation.

At the very least, we can be 4-3-1 right now, maybe even 5-3-0.

Continue getting better and working on the defensive game. Get Ullmark and Zub back, hopefully we can string a few wins together.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Can you send me copies of the games you've been watching? Because clearly we're not seeing the same thing.

We outplayed Vegas and deserved that game.

These are difficult, high end teams. Two years ago, we're not giving them a game at all.

They blow the Vegas game with 2 minutes left

They may have had a 3rd period lead had the refs blown the whistle on the delayed penalty

Vegas and Colorado dominate in their buildings. We did ok imo.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

These are difficult, high end teams. Two years ago, we're not giving them a game at all.

They may have had a 3rd period lead had the refs blown the whistle on the delayed penalty

Two years ago we beat the Boston Bruins during their historic steak and played very well against teams like Tampa and NYR.

Time to actually get a winning record in October/November. How do moral victories still mean anything after 7 years of no playoffs?

Reactions: gab6511 and DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Two years ago we beat the Boston Bruins during their historic steak and played very well against teams like Tampa and NYR.

Time to actually get a winning record in October/November. How do moral victories still mean anything after 7 years of no playoffs?
So if we beat the Blues tomorrow we have a winning record in October. Are we then good?

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
The core is broken. The quicker we acknowledge this the quicker we can get started on a rebuild. It was shitty when we were stuck in mediocrity but now this is much worse. We’re stuck with a super low end top 6 that can barely maintain control of the puck. Watch how clueless every line is. It’s sad that this is an nhl club. We can see defensively the goalie was only a small part of the issue as Ullmark has looked like every other goalie.

I understand that Stutzle looks all flashy most of the time and Brady is is a huge net presence and both are over PPG respectively. How ever, why don't they look dominant on the ice? In particularly Brady? When will he insert himself as that big tough skilled PF that was going to be impossible to play again? On the contrary, he has been fairly invisible in 3 games (including last night) so far this season, and we are inly 8 games in. Not to mention his defensive game has not improved all that much, and at times this season, was caught completely out of position defensively

For Stutzle its very simple. You gotta score 40 goals and 90+ points, is the only way you're pulling your weight here, or you're all flash and no substance

Reactions: Alex1234

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I mean, Sens absolutely factor size in their drafting process, for good reason, size matters in the league. They do however take it, paired with hopeful growth, to an extreme. They draft a lot of bad big players with tools, and are banking on them turning those tools into a hockey player. The Ben Rogers, Filip Nordberg, Gabe Eliasson's of the hockey world. Loads of size and tools, but no toolbox as of the draft.

Just looking at the past 2 drafts the average size of a guy drafted by Ottawa is about 6'4 205

Yak - 6-4, 210
Eliasson - 6'7, 214
Ellinas - 6'2, 200
Moore - 6'4, 205
Montgomery - 6'4, 185
Wallenius - 6'4, 215

Stanley - 6'3, 200
Andonovski - 6'2, 215
Beckner - 6'2, 180
Nikitin - 6'5, 200 (goalie, not the same)
Van Tassel - 6'4, 200

I guess so. It seems like most of the guys that actually get near the sens roster are smaller.

Like, I don't see the sens as a big team.

Reactions: DrEasy

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
So if we beat the Blues tomorrow we have a winning record in October. Are we then good?
need to have a winning record through november. Generally this team has had issues in either october or november and it ends up costing them.

The teams record on december 1st last few years
2023/2024 - 8-10-0
2022/2023- 8-13-1
2021/2022- 4-15-1
covid years here

A 4-6 point swing by december 1st is huge. So yes a winning record by end of november would make things a lot better

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I guess so. It seems like most of the guys that actually get near the sens roster are smaller.

Like, I don't see the sens as a big team.
They didn’t fully start drafting that way until 2021 and I don’t think they focus on it too much with pro acquisitions.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

"We're in better shape now than we've been in in years" he says about a team that once again continues to find ways to lose games, can't keep the puck out of their net, are barely producing offense 5v5, have a distinct lack of depth scoring and can't win on the road with any consistency.

10% of the season is in the books. We're at the same spot we were the last 2 years and you're doing mental gymnastics to declare these oblique moral victories.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Let's get there first. Blues are decimated by injuries too.
So, this doesn't include the game against Colorado, but I like to be objective when talking about how much injuries might play into the results.

1730132872052.png

That has us as the 2nd most impacted based on their WAR model so far. Important to note, it doesn't account for Perron who isn't injured, however, it's probably valuing Ullmark pretty heavily in that, so it will likely have us more neutral for the game against StL.

Zub, Pinto and Perron, that's some pretty important players (well Perron is more depth, but he's not nothing), if people want to say injuries are part of the game and we got to deal with them, it works both ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad