Ottawa Senators appoint Ian Mendes as vice president, communications and name Sylvain St-Laurent director, communications

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good thing for Ottawa. Montreal did the same thing after they fired Bergevin and it was a big hit so Ottawa doing the same with quality people

Reactions: TRG

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Isn't he a writer on the Athletic? Has someone covering a team ever been hired as a VP before? Seems weird

Reactions: 12ozPapa

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Isn't he a writer on the Athletic? Has someone covering a team ever been hired as a VP before? Seems weird
Guess who is the President of the Flyers right now.

Edit: Fair enough the guy used to be an NHLer, but he was otherwise a media personality before being onboarded.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Oh wow, really happy for Sylvain St-Laurent, whom I remember being a better writer than most sports' journalist. A bit of a Sens optimist too, which is something of a prerequisite in his new job.

Reactions: HabsQC

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Joins Sarah Orlesky as former TSN beat reporters now in the front office for their respective teams.

Reactions: gab6511

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He's a journalist going into communications. Nothing weird about it at all.

It’s a little weird. Being a journalist doesn’t make you qualified for VP of communications. They are pretty well entirely different things. That doesn’t mean he’s not qualified either however, I have no idea what else is in his background.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I mean yea I guess, just weird that a beat writer gets hired by the team he was covering, I had never seen it before.
He was with the Senators as Manager of Communications about 20 years ago, before leaving to cover the team on TV, then radio, then the Athletic and was on their podcasts.

Good for the team, not as much for the fans, he was excellent.

Congrats to Sly as well, working with/under Mendes.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It’s a little weird. Being a journalist doesn’t make you qualified for VP of communications. They are pretty well entirely different things. That doesn’t mean he’s not qualified either however, I have no idea what else is in his background.
I mean another term for the job is "media relations" so it's really not that far of a leap. It's extremely common to see journalists move to communications jobs, it's generally way easier work for significantly more pay and stability lol

Reactions: The Expert

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
He's a journalist going into communications. Nothing weird about it at all.
Was gonna say, journalism and communications literally go hand in hand. Interesting how many people were unaware of that.

Being a grocery store clerk and VP of communications are entirely different things. Journalism and communications have a lot of overlap.

Last edited:

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Just like the Habs did a few years ago hiring a fanboy reporter ( or fan girl in the habs case)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Smart. Hiring the only two journalists that has any reach in that market and could possibly question anything they do.
lol literally I think Mendes was blacklisted for a while under the Melnyk years because he had the audacity to criticize the complete tire fire he was running. He's a good and fair reporter but I generally do think he's a passionate fan of the team as well, good hire

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Feels like the on ice product will be about the same as last year so they may need a good comms director.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad