Ottawa Senators and NCC reach lease agreement at Lebreton Flats for new arena

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The devil is always on the details on something like this, but don't be too quick to just dismiss its importance either.

Senators and NCC have been stuck negotiating for YEARS. NCC, being a government agency, has, err, different priorities and stakeholders then most landowners.
Speaking as an “experienced expert” on these things… 😉

Never buy into something (like a new arena) as a sure thing until they actually play the first game in it. :laugh:

Reactions: Mightygoose

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Speaking as an “experienced expert” on these things… 😉

Never buy into something (like a new arena) as a sure thing until they actually play the first game in it. :laugh:

I agree. Well maybe not "first game", but don't count on anything until "shovels are in the ground". Still room for things to go sideways.

My point though is that this is still a major step forward. NCC and the Sens had been negotiating for years and years without coming to a deal. Now they have one. Financing is still a major step, sure - but the Sens couldn't line up financing until they had a deal for the land. Now they have one.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Excellent news. You really can't understate how far out in left field the Sens arena is from the overall market. Should be a well-needed centralized boost to the franchise and the overall fanbase.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I agree. Well maybe not "first game", but don't count on anything until "shovels are in the ground". Still room for things to go sideways.

My point though is that this is still a major step forward. NCC and the Sens had been negotiating for years and years without coming to a deal. Now they have one. Financing is still a major step, sure - but the Sens couldn't line up financing until they had a deal for the land. Now they have one.

Yes the Sens have been negotiating for years, BUT a couple of factors to consider:

1) This ownership group has only been there for a little over a year
2) There are 2 partners in the group that are in the development business including residential
3) There have been several peices of legislation at the Federal and Provincial level to incentivize new housing (I work on this a lot that's why I know).

So taken all that together I don't doubt this deal.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad