Proposal: Ottawa-Edmonton (Karlsson)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Based on this thread, I thought it might be interesting to gauge the value of Karlsson should the Sens come to the conclusion that he will not re-sign in three years.

Ottawa would need a cost-effective RHD back to replace (some of) his minutes, plus at least one high-caliber prospect and multiple 1sts.

With that in mind, does this come close?

:sens

RW Jesse Puljujarvi
RD Adam Larsson
EDM 1st '17
EDM 1st '18

:edmonton

RD Erik Karlsson
C Zack Smith

Oilers post-trade:

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Smith-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Lander Pakarinen

Sekera-Karlsson
Klefbom-Fayne
Davidson-Gryba/PTO
Oesterle

Talbot
Gustavsson

$5.2 million in cap room

Last edited:

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
I'm not even a Sens fan but you're going to need to offer McDavid for Karlsson and that's obviously not going to happen.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
counter
McDavid

Mark Stone
K. Turris
2017-1st
2018-1st

:facepalm:

If McDavid was three years to UFA and had insisted he wasn't going to sign for what ownership was capable of offering, then that's in the ballpark value-wise (though Edmonton would insist on an RHD in there somewhere I imagine).

I don't expect Sens fans to like the premise but that's ultimately the situation they may find themselves in should EK price himself out of Ottawa.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Edmonton's not going to offer McDavid, and Ottawa fans would accept nothing less than McDavid +.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm not even a Sens fan but you're going to need to offer McDavid for Karlsson and that's obviously not going to happen.

Karlsson to EDM? McDavid or Bust. (Yes i know EDM fans will say no, ir something more vulgar)

Again, one of these players is within spitting distance of unrestricted free agency. The other is under team control until age 25, or six years from now. They're vastly different assets and Karlsson's value in a trade would have to account for that.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
Wait so the sens would expect him to walk away from them in 3 years so instead they hope to trade him for a kings ransom to a team that hes just as likely to walk away from as well, leaving the oilers with nothing or having to trade him themselves for something possibly less

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
This probably won't last long...

If Hall for Larsson or Subban for Weber were proposed here six months ago, both threads probably end up locked in due time as well. Fans of every team rarely like to look at the world through the lens of reality and precedent, but that's how GMs ultimately operate.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Wait so the sens would expect him to walk away from them in 3 years so instead they hope to trade him for a kings ransom to a team that hes just as likely to walk away from as well, leaving the oilers with nothing or having to trade him themselves for something possibly less

It's a risk Edmonton would likely take to get that one last piece for contention. Their best window is during McDavid's ELC; it becomes much, much harder after that to afford all of the necessary pieces to win a Cup.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
If Hall for Larsson or Subban for Weber were proposed here six months ago, both threads probably end up locked in due time as well. [BFans of every team rarely like to look at the world through the lens of reality [/B]and precedent, but that's how GMs ultimately operate.

Ironic given the trade you just proposed

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
If McDavid was three years to UFA and had insisted he wasn't going to sign for what ownership was capable of offering, then that's in the ballpark value-wise (though Edmonton would insist on an RHD in there somewhere I imagine).

I don't expect Sens fans to like the premise but that's ultimately the situation they may find themselves in should EK price himself out of Ottawa.

Where in the name of hell are the reports of Karlsson not wanting to sign? Even ottawa will put out money for Karlsson, I mean if they don't we'll probably have the biggest ufa in the last decade? (including stamkos) but he'll definitely stay in edmonton because mcdavid. speaking of which how are you going to pay ufa karlsson and mcdavid?

This idea is horribad and your defense of it is piss poor

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
how can the oilers get karlsson without even giving up ****ing draisaitl?

I would be fine with that from a value perspective, but he is likely a non-starter as his next contract will probably be in the range of EK's ($5.5-6.5M). The point here would be to save Ottawa money, not keep expenditures flat.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Where in the name of hell are the reports of Karlsson not wanting to sign?

I never said there were, but ownership's history speaks volumes. The team must nickle and dime to survive; Karlsson has been the exception so far, but he's about to be due one of the largest contracts ever handed out in the NHL. I wouldn't bet on the Sens being the team to bankroll that sort of investment.

Even ottawa will put out money for Karlsson, I mean if they don't we'll probably have the biggest ufa in the last decade?

His value would be higher 2-3 years out, not the season he is due to be a UFA. That should be fairly obvious.

(including stamkos) but he'll definitely stay in edmonton because mcdavid. speaking of which how are you going to pay ufa karlsson and mcdavid?

I never said Karlsson would stay, nor did I say they'd be able to afford the extension either. This trade would be all about the next three years when the Oilers still have a decent amount of cap room to play with. After that, it's going to be very difficult financially to ice a contender year-in year-out.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Even if they somehow settled for a package deal, it would deplete any depth we have. Drai would have to replace one of the 1sts.

I would love nothing more than to see McDavid and EK on the same team (PP especially), but it would make no sense from the perspective of winning more games. Larsson + Drai + Puljujarvi in combination will factor into more wins than EK.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada

...WTF are you talking about here... :huh:

McDavid or GTFO if you want Karlsson

MOD: please close that **** up... this aint gonna go nowhere

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Based on this thread, I thought it might be interesting to gauge the value of Karlsson should the Sens come to the conclusion that he will not re-sign in three years.

Ottawa would need a cost-effective RHD back to replace (some of) his minutes, plus at least one high-caliber prospect and multiple 1sts.

With that in mind, does this come close?

:sens

RW Jesse Puljujarvi
RD Adam Larsson
EDM 1st '17
EDM 1st '18

:edmonton

RD Erik Karlsson
C Zack Smith

Oilers post-trade:

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Smith-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Lander Pakarinen

Sekera-Karlsson
Klefbom-Fayne
Davidson-Gryba/PTO
Oesterle

Talbot
Gustavsson

$5.2 million in cap room
so you already saw how horribly the last thread went so you decided to do it again? Please kill this thread

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I never said there were, but ownership's history speaks volumes. The team must nickle and dime to survive; Karlsson has been the exception so far, but he's about to be due one of the largest contracts ever handed out in the NHL. I wouldn't bet on the Sens being the team to bankroll that sort of investment.

The Sens have not lost a player to FA who they wanted to keep in years. And, as a matter of fact, the Oilers are in a much, much worse position to give Karlsson "one of the largest contracts" in NHL history than the Sens are. Idiotic proposal.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
McDavid was a plus player on the second worst team. Karlsson a min us 7 with 82 pts.
Karlsson only helps offensively.

Did you just use +/- to assess a player?

Are we in 1930? Maurice Richard is much better than McDavid.

Karlsson has the biggest positive impact on his team of any players in the NHL. Just look at his corsi rel..

Last edited:

The Cheez

Aug 14, 2015
If Hall for Larsson or Subban for Weber were proposed here six months ago, both threads probably end up locked in due time as well. Fans of every team rarely like to look at the world through the lens of reality and precedent, but that's how GMs ultimately operate.

That's true, I was one of the fans who thought hall wasn't going anywhere and I guess it goes to show what little we know what's behind closed doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad