Proposal: Ottawa/Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Minor deal.

Cody Goloubef for Matt Puempel.

Ottawa needs another option on the bottom pair and Columbus appears to need more than anything a player that might break out a bit and be a surprise.

Puempel just signed a one year 'show me' deal and Goloubef is a UFA soon.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Personally I'd rather hold onto Puempel and give Claesson the opportunity to impress. I really liked what I saw from him in his stints in Ottawa. Needs a little more polishing but he is close.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ehhh.

Haven't seen a whole lot of Cody Goloubef, but I don't imagine him as a huge improvement on Boro/Claesson.

No that Puempel is some great piece, but I'd rather the depth up front where we have waiver room if it isn't going to be a rock-solid improvement.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd do the deal. Golo is a good bottom pair option
I'm honestly kind of meh. RHDs are at a bit of a premium, and we've already got Wennberg, Karlsson, Bjorkstrand, and Anderson in the "he just might break out and surprise folks" forwards category. And it's not as though we have a shortage of LWs either.

I wouldn't really object, per se, if this did go down, but... well, like I said, a draft pick would be much nicer.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm honestly kind of meh. RHDs are at a bit of a premium, and we've already got Wennberg, Karlsson, Bjorkstrand, and Anderson in the "he just might break out and surprise folks" forwards category. And it's not as though we have a shortage of LWs either.

I wouldn't really object, per se, if this did go down, but... well, like I said, a draft pick would be much nicer.

He is a RHD? Not a good fit for Ottawa then. Wideman has the right side on the third pair locked down. I imagine a LHD is the target for Ottawa.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He is a RHD? Not a good fit for Ottawa then. Wideman has the right side on the third pair locked down. I imagine a LHD is the target for Ottawa.

Doiron said earlier in the offseason he was looking for a partner for Boro didnt he?
If i remembered correctly and he did say that, it would suggest the exact opposite of your post.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Doiron said earlier in the offseason he was looking for a partner for Boro didnt he?
If i remembered correctly and he did say that, it would suggest the exact opposite of your post.

Knew they were looking for a bottom pair guy, kinda just assumed it was for the left side. If that is true it is disappointing. I liked Wideman's games and am looking forward to seeing if he can progress further.

FWIW found a blog post from Sens Chrip saying it sounded like they were looking for someone to play with Wideman.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
It makes sense on the right side because Ottawa is one injury away from having Wideman in the top four and an AHLer in the top six. On the left there's options.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Minor deal.

Cody Goloubef for Matt Puempel.

Ottawa needs another option on the bottom pair and Columbus appears to need more than anything a player that might break out a bit and be a surprise.

Puempel just signed a one year 'show me' deal and Goloubef is a UFA soon.

I don't think I'd do this deal - don't know enough about Goloubef - but this is exactly the type of deal the Sens need. Kudos for looking at team needs. Expected to find something ridiculous here, but this is very reasonable.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I don't think I'd do this deal - don't know enough about Goloubef - but this is exactly the type of deal the Sens need. Kudos for looking at team needs. Expected to find something ridiculous here, but this is very reasonable.

Goloubef was once considered the best D prospect on the team, and was valued at least as highly within Columbus as Puempel was within Ottawa (if not higher) at 19/20 years old. When he came in to the NHL he played OK but some of the other lesser-hyped RHD at the time (e.g. Proutt, Savard) were more consistent so he stayed as a fringe player ... then they got Jones ... which makes him expendable.

I think on face value the OP is a good offer, but it would really depend on whether Columbus has any interest in Puempel (and/or a top 9 slot to play him in).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Goloubef was once considered the best D prospect on the team, and was valued at least as highly within Columbus as Puempel was within Ottawa (if not higher) at 19/20 years old. When he came in to the NHL he played OK but some of the other lesser-hyped RHD at the time (e.g. Proutt, Savard) were more consistent so he stayed as a fringe player ... then they got Jones ... which makes him expendable.

He never got quite that high, but some at one point may well have thought him the best RHD prospect - during the height of his popularity here (which would have been around 19-20 years old) John Moore was still definitely ahead, but Moore's a LHD. At the time he was considered more or less neck-and-neck with Savard (who's of similar age but drafted a year later, and was never actually lesser-hyped in comparison). Of course, that was about six years ago. :D

And there's a long, long debate about whether or not Prout ever actually overtook him, incidentally.

I think on face value the OP is a good offer, but it would really depend on whether Columbus has any interest in Puempel (and/or a top 9 slot to play him in).

That's the thing; I'm not sure if we really do.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would do it. Puempel really needs an opportunity on the top 6 (or top 9 at worst) with someone. He's not the kind of guy who would work on the 4th line, and I'm not sure if the Sens have the option to give him a legit chance (unless we get some nasty injuries).

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
I would not do this deal from an Ottawa perspective, but I believe that Puempel will show that he is an effective NHL player this year.

I am higher on Puempel than many I guess, and it isn't a knock on Goloubef, but for me, I would rather continue with Puempel. I felt the same way about Shane Prince though, and I still feel we gave up on him too early...

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Puempel is a sniper prospect with top 6 upside. He will likely be given a chance this year. Not trading that for a bottom pairing D to play a few minutes a game. We can sign a cheap UFA or give one of the kids a chance. Trading Puempel for that is terrible, especially if he is a RD... we have Wideman there. No reason for Ottawa to do this.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Id rather give a chance to Claesson to play 5-6 role, he is more than capable of doing so.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
since has a RD, he'd be a downgrade in the line up. we would be trading an every game winger for an off/on 3rd dman isnt appealing. Im sure hes a great player but he wont get that opportunity with Ottawas line up. Ottawa is famous for carrying 7 dman so i wouldnt say this isnt a bad trade, but having an extra LD is better for them.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Jackets don't have a spot for Puempel and he's not waiver exempt, correct?

That's correct. He'd have to make the team or stay as 13th forward. Same situation in Ottawa.

Viqsi is right, the best deal here for the jackets would be a draft pick it seems.

Sens fans really need to look closer at their depth chart I think after reading this thread though. Puempel is going to have to beat out Hoffman, MacArthur, Smith, Dzingel and Paul just to try and get some games. All of them (except Mac obviously) played better than Puempel last year so he's got his work cut out for him.

Then on the defence right side there's Karlsson, Ceci and Wideman with Kostka to fill in when injuries hit. We need more depth on the right side, we have options on the left.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
That's correct. He'd have to make the team or stay as 13th forward. Same situation in Ottawa.

Viqsi is right, the best deal here for the jackets would be a draft pick it seems.

Sens fans really need to look closer at their depth chart I think after reading this thread though. Puempel is going to have to beat out Hoffman, MacArthur, Smith, Dzingel and Paul just to try and get some games. All of them (except Mac obviously) played better than Puempel last year so he's got his work cut out for him.

Then on the defence right side there's Karlsson, Ceci and Wideman with Kostka to fill in when injuries hit. We need more depth on the right side, we have options on the left.

Simple, I would put Hoff, then Smith in the 2 top 6 LW spots, Mac on the 3rd, and Puempel on the 4th, as both Dzingel and Paul I believe are waiver exempt. Its also good to have the insurance in case Mac struggles or has lingering concussion symptoms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad