Ottawa 67s 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Another important note involves the potential for the NCAA/CHL rule change. That may turn out to be huge for Ottawa. A kid like Vandenberg may be far more motivated to play at home and prepare for NCAA. I know there is a lot of chatter about kids leaving the OHL early but I am not sure that makes a lot of sense. Kids graduate at 18 now (used to be 19). The NCAA is very competitive. They can stay in the OHL through their 19 year old season and delay the NCAA for a year or two and then go and play their four years in their prime. I think a kid like Vandenberg would relish that opportunity. I know a kid like Dylan Peterson a few years back would also have been the perfect fit for that opportunity.

I really think this rule will help Ottawa. They have some committed players and will continue to attract those types of players with their program. I really feel this is a big positive for the 67’s going forward.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think that we are going to have to look at trading players the question though is not who we want to trade but more who will get us the best return.

It could be that a team might be in more of a need for a Foster typoe player that canplay any position going down the stetch than a high scorer.

I think that this year the market could be flooded adn could be a buyers market instead of a sellers.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Fosters value is probably fairly high right now. Too early in the season for trade talks? Not like he would get a frp back anyways

Or wait another month or two and his value may go down?
67's dominated all three games they played this season. In all games they had periods were they controlled possession completely. They found a way to lose vs Niagara and not win vs Oshawa in 60 but play was impressive overall. I'd be careful about trading key players right now while things are going well for a rather young team.

If there are good offers then I wouldn't be against the right trade but keep in mind that the 67's traded Gardiner and Hilton already with no bodies coming back. If they make another trade, there have to be bodies coming back. This does make trading more complicated. With the team doing well and needing bodies anyway I think trading for need would be the best option. The 67's need goal scorers, ideally right shooting ones. They're creating chances but aren't scoring enough goals and the only righty forwards on the roster are Dever, Kelly and Horner. Not a single natural goal scorer, Horner even partly still playing defense.

Reactions: OMG67

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think that we are going to have to look at trading players the question though is not who we want to trade but more who will get us the best return.

It could be that a team might be in more of a need for a Foster typoe player that canplay any position going down the stetch than a high scorer.

I think that this year the market could be flooded adn could be a buyers market instead of a sellers.
Trading has become more difficult now that the 67's are short of bodies. Sirman was the only scratched skater vs NB but the 67's can only play him if they sit MacKenzie.

It's more difficult to trade if you need bodies and can't just trade for picks. And while the team is dominating possession in all games I wouldn't wanna trade key players unless it's for someone who can really help the team. It's not difficult to see that the single biggest need is goal scoring. Those players who could help the 67's wouldn't come cheap though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The strategy for Boyd since forever is to try to be competitive. He will give this team an opportunity to prove capable. From my perspective, that means he will give this team through the holidays before he makes a decision on what to do.

I don’t think we have the right assets to add the players we would need so I cannot see this team as a buyer. They’ve bought two seasons in a row now. It is tough to do it three seasons in a row.

The 67’s need to do a retool. The question is whether that should be this year or next. I believe there are valid options either way. The two players that become the high value trade options are Pinelli and Mews. I don’t see Boyd trading both in back to back years so he is more likely to strategically trade one. The one he keeps is the year he stays mostly status quo.

A lot of people don’t scan the market to determine the best timing to make seller or buyer moves. They look at the team and decide it is a competitive team so we should make buyer moves. The challenge this year is the “projected” competitive landscape.

Brampton is an elite team with loads of picks still available to make buyer moves. Their top line right now is just motoring. Their top line of Martone, Rehkopf and MacDonell have a combined 12 goals in 4 games. But, the rest of the team has 10! It will be a fun team to watch in the fist half to see what they do.

Barrie has made some significant moves. They still are waiting for a couple players to return from injury. They also have the biggest likely trade chip in the league with Parker Vaughn. Once that team forms within the next week or two, they should start to pile up the points.

Oshawa is waiting on Ritchie and Roobroeck to return. It may take a while for Ritchie to return. We may see him stick in Colorado as long as the start of the team canada camp in December and then be reassigned after the Tournament is complete. But, if both of those guys return, they will be strong, especially after adding Barlow.

I think those three teams will be really tough for Ottawa to catch up to by the time we hit the second half of the season. I think we need to keep that in mind. It also points to the reason why Boyd should wait as long as possible to get a sense of the landscape before he decides on his strategy entering the 2nd half.

Reactions: Hinterland

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
The strategy for Boyd since forever is to try to be competitive. He will give this team an opportunity to prove capable. From my perspective, that means he will give this team through the holidays before he makes a decision on what to do.

I don’t think we have the right assets to add the players we would need so I cannot see this team as a buyer. They’ve bought two seasons in a row now. It is tough to do it three seasons in a row.

The 67’s need to do a retool. The question is whether that should be this year or next. I believe there are valid options either way. The two players that become the high value trade options are Pinelli and Mews. I don’t see Boyd trading both in back to back years so he is more likely to strategically trade one. The one he keeps is the year he stays mostly status quo.

A lot of people don’t scan the market to determine the best timing to make seller or buyer moves. They look at the team and decide it is a competitive team so we should make buyer moves. The challenge this year is the “projected” competitive landscape.

Brampton is an elite team with loads of picks still available to make buyer moves. Their top line right now is just motoring. Their top line of Martone, Rehkopf and MacDonell have a combined 12 goals in 4 games. But, the rest of the team has 10! It will be a fun team to watch in the fist half to see what they do.

Barrie has made some significant moves. They still are waiting for a couple players to return from injury. They also have the biggest likely trade chip in the league with Parker Vaughn. Once that team forms within the next week or two, they should start to pile up the points.

Oshawa is waiting on Ritchie and Roobroeck to return. It may take a while for Ritchie to return. We may see him stick in Colorado as long as the start of the team canada camp in December and then be reassigned after the Tournament is complete. But, if both of those guys return, they will be strong, especially after adding Barlow.

I think those three teams will be really tough for Ottawa to catch up to by the time we hit the second half of the season. I think we need to keep that in mind. It also points to the reason why Boyd should wait as long as possible to get a sense of the landscape before he decides on his strategy entering the 2nd half.

At best, Ottawa would be fourth best in the conference . Realistically, they’re closer to 6th or 7th in the east.

It’s the exact same issue as it was last year - - they’re an undersized team that plays a soft perimeter game. Trying to “go for it” this year would be a ludicrous mistake in judgement. Doing nothing but standing pat is pointless. Either you buy and play for the current season or you sell for the future.

Trading Pinelli should be a no-brainer for Ottawa. And if you’re going to trade Pinelli, you might as well trade Mews too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad