Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Game Notes:

1> Ekberg is sick. The end.
2> Eshkawkogan has a ton of poise. I am not sure if he will develop into an offensive player but he is pretty solid in his own end. Handles the puck well and distributes it pretty well. For a 16 year old, I would say he is fantastic and a great pick.
3> Barlas was VERY VERY good tonight. He played with a ton of poise and had a few really good carries.
4> Amidovski was vert timid until about the second half of the 2nd period. After that, you could feel he sort of found a rhythm and from that point on he was very effective.
5> Nelson wasn’t solid. Not fault on the 2nd goal but the 1st and 3rd weren’t great.
6> MacKenzie was solid but not overly tested.
7> Houben has some game in him. He is still a little behind the development curve but he is a 17 year old big kid so he will grow into it. They need to invest some time in him this season. He doesn’t necessarily neeed to play every game but he needs to play.
8> Brady is getting there. I think by the time we hit November, he will be up to speed. He should be fine in that 3rd pairing role. I think Eshkawkogan fills the 2nd pairing RD though.
9> Whitehead needs to work on his execution but he plays with a lot of confidence. You can see the effort and drive. He tries to make elevated plays but he isn’t quite there yet.

Overall, the defence was pretty solid considering Mews and Mayich were both out. Horner filled in fairly well although I do like him up front throwing the body more.

The OHL site is wrong. Nelson came in around the 14 minute mark of the 2nd. Macker played around 36 minutes.

Overall, it was an entertaining game.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Game Notes:

1> Ekberg is sick. The end.
2> Eshkawkogan has a ton of poise. I am not sure if he will develop into an offensive player but he is pretty solid in his own end. Handles the puck well and distributes it pretty well. For a 16 year old, I would say he is fantastic and a great pick.
3> Barlas was VERY VERY good tonight. He played with a ton of poise and had a few really good carries.
4> Amidovski was vert timid until about the second half of the 2nd period. After that, you could feel he sort of found a rhythm and from that point on he was very effective.
5> Nelson wasn’t solid. Not fault on the 2nd goal but the 1st and 3rd weren’t great.
6> MacKenzie was solid but not overly tested.
7> Houben has some game in him. He is still a little behind the development curve but he is a 17 year old big kid so he will grow into it. They need to invest some time in him this season. He doesn’t necessarily neeed to play every game but he needs to play.
8> Brady is getting there. I think by the time we hit November, he will be up to speed. He should be fine in that 3rd pairing role. I think Eshkawkogan fills the 2nd pairing RD though.
9> Whitehead needs to work on his execution but he plays with a lot of confidence. You can see the effort and drive. He tries to make elevated plays but he isn’t quite there yet.

Overall, the defence was pretty solid considering Mews and Mayich were both out. Horner filled in fairly well although I do like him up front throwing the body more.

The OHL site is wrong. Nelson came in around the 14 minute mark of the 2nd. Macker played around 36 minutes.

Overall, it was an entertaining game.
I like this and am glad. I still have the same question and it will be interesting to see what DC does when everyone is back.

Not sure who he was facing but over the last 2 games whitehead has had the best FOW percentage

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I like this and am glad. I still have the same question and it will be interesting to see what DC does when everyone is back.

Not sure who he was facing but over the last 2 games whitehead has had the best FOW percentage

The hardest thing to overcome, even more than finding the right pace/speed is confidence. Whitehead is playing with confidence. At some point, his execution rate will increase. He is still a bit small so I don’t have high expectations this year so he will still play 3rd/4th line roles but that doesn’t matter right now. It is more about making sure he is lining up against players he can handle. As he continues to grow, both physically and from a skills perspective, he will gradually be more effective and consistent. He is only 17 so not a big deal.

I wouldn’t worry about Whitehead. He’ll be fine in time. He likely has this year and three more with the 67s.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The hardest thing to overcome, even more than finding the right pace/speed is confidence. Whitehead is playing with confidence. At some point, his execution rate will increase. He is still a bit small so I don’t have high expectations this year so he will still play 3rd/4th line roles but that doesn’t matter right now. It is more about making sure he is lining up against players he can handle. As he continues to grow, both physically and from a skills perspective, he will gradually be more effective and consistent. He is only 17 so not a big deal.

I wouldn’t worry about Whitehead. He’ll be fine in time. He likely has this year and three more with the 67s.
You know my fear. If he is on the fourth line, then he will not get that chance to develop by playing. Personally, right now, I would rather have him as the third-line center in place of Barlas. I agree he needs the time to learn on the ice in the game. Playing against third-line centers will test him and make him work. The same with Yanni he proved last year that he could handle it so give him the chance as well

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You know my fear. If he is on the fourth line, then he will not get that chance to develop by playing. Personally, right now, I would rather have him as the third-line center in place of Barlas. I agree he needs the time to learn on the ice in the game. Playing against third-line centers will test him and make him work. The same with Yanni he proved last year that he could handle it so give him the chance as well

3rd line or 4th line won’t matter. They are both the same level of production and will play the same amount of ice. How each of them are playing each game will determine if there is an ice time split.

The top two lines consisting of Pinelli, Gerrior, Foster, Dever, Ekberg and a 6th player (Korbler?) will play a fair bit. After that, the other two lines will roll 5 on 5 consistently at least until the games tightens up.

The 3rd and 4th lines will consist of Barlas, Whitehead, Hilton, Houben, Yanni, Kelly, and Amidovski. Horner will likely join that group when Dietsch is back and they have six D-Men. No matter how you shake those eight players up, there is no real way to separate them into a true 3rd and 4th line.

Additionally, it may make more sense to have a rookie line of Amidovski-Whitehead-Yanni and let them all develop together as a line that could play 3 year with each other. Who knows?

Plus, when the deadline comes around and the 67’s move a couple wingers, it opens space for the young guys. So, either way, things will organically change throughout the year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
3rd line or 4th line won’t matter. They are both the same level of production and will play the same amount of ice. How each of them are playing each game will determine if there is an ice time split.

The top two lines consisting of Pinelli, Gerrior, Foster, Dever, Ekberg and a 6th player (Korbler?) will play a fair bit. After that, the other two lines will roll 5 on 5 consistently at least until the games tightens up.

The 3rd and 4th lines will consist of Barlas, Whitehead, Hilton, Houben, Yanni, Kelly, and Amidovski. Horner will likely join that group when Dietsch is back and they have six D-Men. No matter how you shake those eight players up, there is no real way to separate them into a true 3rd and 4th line.

Additionally, it may make more sense to have a rookie line of Amidovski-Whitehead-Yanni and let them all develop together as a line that could play 3 year with each other. Who knows?

Plus, when the deadline comes around and the 67’s move a couple wingers, it opens space for the young guys. So, either way, things will organically change throughout the year.
Yes we are talking theory that that should be the case. Then again, we have DC, and he goes for it every game. My concern is that he thinks, like the Fronts fans, that this is a team that can compete with the top teams and plays a short bench starting in October.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes we are talking theory that that should be the case. Then again, we have DC, and he goes for it every game. My concern is that he thinks, like the Fronts fans, that this is a team that can compete with the top teams and plays a short bench starting in October.

You are comparing a competitive year where they are trying to win vs a development year. Two completely different scenarios.

I don’t remember what injury Dietsch had - do we have an idea of when he is expected back?

From what I seem to remember, he woudl be back in October sometime. I havne’t had an update since I originally heard about the injury so I am not sure. I remember Stonehouse would. Be December if he returns to the OHL.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I won't go so far as to suggest that the 67s will be contender this season or any sort of threat to make a playoff run, but I still have a difficult time seeing Boyd sell off enough pieces to allow the team to truly bottom-out. My prediction is they find a home for MacKenzie over the next month or two, then deal away Pinelli at the deadline. Boyd will find a reasonably good middle-6 centre on the cheap, to allow time for Ekberg to settle in. That's it. The 67s will try and accumulate enough points to sneak into the playoffs as the #6-8 seed, generate gate revenue, and live to fight another day (i.e., next season).

I believe the overriding goal of the ownership group and management team is to field a reasonably competitive team (read: playoff team) every season. The 67s are constantly at risk of being crowded out of the sports scene in Ottawa, with that risk heightened now that women's hockey has gotten off to a strong start (not an OSEG property, btw) and on a schedule that almost perfectly lines up with the 67s.

With the Redblacks a playoff contender again, which will drive buzz and consumer spending into the fall, renewed interest in the Sens with the new ownership group and last week's significant announcement (and a decent-looking team), the aformentioned women's hockey team, pro basketball at TD Place, etc, etc., the 67s need to work hard to even maintain their "market share" of consumer sports spending in a tough economy. A complete sell-off and a basement dwelling team for a season or two doesn't help at all towards accomplishing that goal. For that reason, I can see Boyd making enough moves to align the team for a playoff spot.

I wouldn't say missing the playoffs would be the death knell for the franchise or anything, but imo it would potentially set the franchise back somewhat close to the way it was after they returned to Lansdowne in 2014/2015, when the 67s were lucky to draw 1,000 fans (despite having good NHL talent like Konecny). It took a deep playoff run in 2019 and exciting hockey in the covid year to bring the fans back. There are many alternate sources of entertainment in Ottawa. Not to mention the arena is in terrible shape. I think this is a tough environment for the 67s to be operating in honestly.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I won't go so far as to suggest that the 67s will be contender this season or any sort of threat to make a playoff run, but I still have a difficult time seeing Boyd sell off enough pieces to allow the team to truly bottom-out. My prediction is they find a home for MacKenzie over the next month or two, then deal away Pinelli at the deadline. Boyd will find a reasonably good middle-6 centre on the cheap, to allow time for Ekberg to settle in. That's it. The 67s will try and accumulate enough points to sneak into the playoffs as the #6-8 seed, generate gate revenue, and live to fight another day (i.e., next season).

I believe the overriding goal of the ownership group and management team is to field a reasonably competitive team (read: playoff team) every season. The 67s are constantly at risk of being crowded out of the sports scene in Ottawa, with that risk heightened now that women's hockey has gotten off to a strong start (not an OSEG property, btw) and on a schedule that almost perfectly lines up with the 67s.

With the Redblacks a playoff contender again, which will drive buzz and consumer spending into the fall, renewed interest in the Sens with the new ownership group and last week's significant announcement (and a decent-looking team), the aformentioned women's hockey team, pro basketball at TD Place, etc, etc., the 67s need to work hard to even maintain their "market share" of consumer sports spending in a tough economy. A complete sell-off and a basement dwelling team for a season or two doesn't help at all towards accomplishing that goal. For that reason, I can see Boyd making enough moves to align the team for a playoff spot.

I wouldn't say missing the playoffs would be the death knell for the franchise or anything, but imo it would potentially set the franchise back somewhat close to the way it was after they returned to Lansdowne in 2014/2015, when the 67s were lucky to draw 1,000 fans (despite having good NHL talent like Konecny). It took a deep playoff run in 2019 and exciting hockey in the covid year to bring the fans back. There are many alternate sources of entertainment in Ottawa. Not to mention the arena is in terrible shape. I think this is a tough environment for the 67s to be operating in honestly.
This is the best rundown of the 67’s placement in the Ottawa sports landscape that I’ve seen.

They really do need to build the team for the opening of the new arena. They need a legit OHL contender for year one in that building to build buzz in this saturated sports market.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think you are aligned nearly perfect. BUT! Unless MAcKenzie requests a deal, I don’t see a reason to move him. The trade value likely isn’t there. I don’t see a contender without a goalie, let alone one with the ability to bring in an OA goalie without having to delete an important skater doing so. In light of that, I don’t see a trade return that would entice Ottawa. Some team could crawl out of the woodwork, sure. But, the reality is, MacKenzie adds the stability in net that far exceeds what a player like Sirman can do as a D-Man that would in theory replace him in the lineup (assuming Mayich returns).

Nelson is a rookie 17 year old. It would surprise me if he were to take the reins as the starter backed up by another 17 year old Conway. Even if they were to keep Michelone as a replacement for MacK, I don’t think that promotes as a team looking to stay competitive (playoffs).

If Nelson comes out guns-a-blazing, then maybe I could see it but there still needs to be a team in need.

I do think they can afford to trade Pinelli. I don’t see Pinelli as a fan favourite or someone who is a draw based on his name etc. Losing him will lessen our chances of winning games for sure but I don’t think it would drop us out of the playoffs. Maybe it gets us a game 6 and a third home playoff gate if we were to keep him.

The question really becomes whether they move Mews and/or Foster. I don’t think they want to move either of them. Same with Barlas. I think it will come down to a situation where the player/s ask for a move. I think Boyd would move them if they want to be moved. Outside of that, I only see Pinelli moved at the deadline, plus some sort of OA shuffle to get to three guys depending on what players get reassigned etc.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is the best rundown of the 67’s placement in the Ottawa sports landscape that I’ve seen.

They really do need to build the team for the opening of the new arena. They need a legit OHL contender for year one in that building to build buzz in this saturated sports market.

That is the one caveat to all of this. No matter what they do over the next couple years, they will get a honeymoon boost when the new arena opens. That is a benefit. It allows them to be a little more cavalier than without it but generally speaking, I think Nords summed it up perfectly.

I don’t think the WPHL will make a huge dent. Maybe it would in the group ticket sales side and fundraisers etc but I don’t think there is an appetite long term for Women’s Hockey in any significant way. The level of play is below JrA. There would need to be a massive sustained marketing push and I am not sure that sustained push is out there more than it is now. It is possible they could make it event based where the hockey is only a part of the overall experience some way? But, sooner or later, people will adjust to the level of play and not want to pay pro hockey money for tickets to watch Bantam boys level hockey.

Provided the 67’s are an entertaining team, given the same price ticket and same nights played etc, the 67’s will always outdraw the WPHL. The level of hockey is far superior. It would be no different than if there were an AHL team in Ottawa vs the 67’s. Same priced ticket, same event nights etc, the AHL would draw better. It is better hockey.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

I haven't seen an update on the timing of the new arena in recent months. Last I heard was an expected opening in 2028. I live nearby and there are no shovels in the ground yet. The local Glebe community continues to oppose the development but they'll almost certainly end up on the losing side. I agree that the 67s squad in those initial seasons needs to be strong, accompanied by hosting a Memorial Cup tournament within a few years of opening.

If this ends up being a down season, as we suspect, the timing is unfortunate as hosting the World Juniors is almost guaranteed to generate significant attention and buzz for junior hockey in Ottawa. Ideally a strong push by the 67s (and a player or two selected to the national team) would line up with the World Juniors but it does not seem it is meant to be this year.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I think you are aligned nearly perfect. BUT! Unless MAcKenzie requests a deal, I don’t see a reason to move him. The trade value likely isn’t there. I don’t see a contender without a goalie, let alone one with the ability to bring in an OA goalie without having to delete an important skater doing so. In light of that, I don’t see a trade return that would entice Ottawa. Some team could crawl out of the woodwork, sure. But, the reality is, MacKenzie adds the stability in net that far exceeds what a player like Sirman can do as a D-Man that would in theory replace him in the lineup (assuming Mayich returns).

Nelson is a rookie 17 year old. It would surprise me if he were to take the reins as the starter backed up by another 17 year old Conway. Even if they were to keep Michelone as a replacement for MacK, I don’t think that promotes as a team looking to stay competitive (playoffs).

If Nelson comes out guns-a-blazing, then maybe I could see it but there still needs to be a team in need.

I do think they can afford to trade Pinelli. I don’t see Pinelli as a fan favourite or someone who is a draw based on his name etc. Losing him will lessen our chances of winning games for sure but I don’t think it would drop us out of the playoffs. Maybe it gets us a game 6 and a third home playoff gate if we were to keep him.

The question really becomes whether they move Mews and/or Foster. I don’t think they want to move either of them. Same with Barlas. I think it will come down to a situation where the player/s ask for a move. I think Boyd would move them if they want to be moved. Outside of that, I only see Pinelli moved at the deadline, plus some sort of OA shuffle to get to three guys depending on what players get reassigned etc.

I don't disagree with any of that, really. I also don't see any immediate trade value for MacKenzie, but things change and injuries happen, and for that reason I can see him in a different jersey by the trade deadline.

I think Foster will stay as there is a strong chance he'll return as an OA (a really good one, too). From a hockey perspective I'd like to see Boyd clear some of the logjam at forward by moving a Barlas or a Kelly and opening up ice time for Yanni, Whitehead, etc., but I'm uncertain if that will happen. From my perspective it goes back to the intentions/drivers of this year's team, which I believe will be to make the playoffs and try and squeeze 3 games of gate revenue (and fan interest) out of a short playoff un. The team is probably better off with Barlas in the lineup if he's utilized properly and can stay healthy. He's a good player.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
That is the one caveat to all of this. No matter what they do over the next couple years, they will get a honeymoon boost when the new arena opens. That is a benefit. It allows them to be a little more cavalier than without it but generally speaking, I think Nords summed it up perfectly.

I don’t think the WPHL will make a huge dent. Maybe it would in the group ticket sales side and fundraisers etc but I don’t think there is an appetite long term for Women’s Hockey in any significant way. The level of play is below JrA. There would need to be a massive sustained marketing push and I am not sure that sustained push is out there more than it is now. It is possible they could make it event based where the hockey is only a part of the overall experience some way? But, sooner or later, people will adjust to the level of play and not want to pay pro hockey money for tickets to watch Bantam boys level hockey.

Provided the 67’s are an entertaining team, given the same price ticket and same nights played etc, the 67’s will always outdraw the WPHL. The level of hockey is far superior. It would be no different than if there were an AHL team in Ottawa vs the 67’s. Same priced ticket, same event nights etc, the AHL would draw better. It is better hockey.

The WPHL certainly made a dent last year. Whether that can be sustained over the long term is obviously a different story. Tickets were priced very high for the Ottawa team vs. the 67s, so much so that we balked at going to a few games. Over the long-run the 67s should outdraw the women's team for reasons you outlined - namely, the quality of on ice hockey - but in the short term it is certainly a risk factor for the ownership and management teams to consider and plan for strategically. I expect the women's team to continue to draw strong crowds this season, with a tapering off to begin mid-season this year and continuing thereafter. With all due respect to the players its not a compelling product imho.

The bigger risk this season is the Redblacks. Yes, the 67s struggled to draw when they returned to Lansdowne, but that also coincided with the Redblacks being a Grey Cup calibre team. They've been terrible since then. They're back to being a playoff team and will continue to draw very large crowds (23K for the Saturday afternoon game...largest crowd since before covid, when the CFL was essentially left for dead) so long as they continue to perform well. Just goes back to my market share point, and also attention/focus of the (fickle) Ottawa sports fan.

Reactions: OMG67

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
The WPHL certainly made a dent last year. Whether that can be sustained over the long term is obviously a different story. Tickets were priced very high for the Ottawa team vs. the 67s, so much so that we balked at going to a few games. Over the long-run the 67s should outdraw the women's team for reasons you outlined - namely, the quality of on ice hockey - but in the short term it is certainly a risk factor for the ownership and management teams to consider and plan for strategically. I expect the women's team to continue to draw strong crowds this season, with a tapering off to begin mid-season this year and continuing thereafter. With all due respect to the players its not a compelling product imho.

The bigger risk this season is the Redblacks. Yes, the 67s struggled to draw when they returned to Lansdowne, but that also coincided with the Redblacks being a Grey Cup calibre team. They've been terrible since then. They're back to being a playoff team and will continue to draw very large crowds (23K for the Saturday afternoon game...largest crowd since before covid, when the CFL was essentially left for dead) so long as they continue to perform well. Just goes back to my market share point, and also attention/focus of the (fickle) Ottawa sports fan.

I think the PWHL draws from a different market than the one there is already for the 67s. So I think both can co-exist and draw well without really impacting each other.
I don't agree that the the level of hockey of the PWHL vs OHL has much to do with how well the PWHL will draw. The PWHL now has strong support from generations of women who have been playing for years now, and it is the highest level of competition for that market of fans.
The PWHL will continue to draw well for the next few years at least, but time will tell if it will last.

I think there will be a significant buzz around the WJC tournament in Ottawa, and this will have a positive impact for the attendance at 67s games as the tournament draws closer.
I still predict that Pinnelli has a shot at making the team, not necessarily on pure merit, but mostly his chances are increased because Dave Cameron will have a strong say on making it happen. What Pinnelli needs to do is have a very strong start to his season to prove that he should be considered.
Then Cameron can do the rest, much like he did with Matier being on the team a few years ago, and like Tourigny did with Jack Quinn a few years before that. Both Matier and Quinn were longshots to be selected, but both were.

BTW, Michelone has been released.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the PWHL draws from a different market than the one there is already for the 67s. So I think both can co-exist and draw well without really impacting each other.
I don't agree that the the level of hockey of the PWHL vs OHL has much to do with how well the PWHL will draw. The PWHL now has strong support from generations of women who have been playing for years now, and it is the highest level of competition for that market of fans.
The PWHL will continue to draw well for the next few years at least, but time will tell if it will last.

I think there will be a significant buzz around the WJC tournament in Ottawa, and this will have a positive impact for the attendance at 67s games as the tournament draws closer.
I still predict that Pinnelli has a shot at making the team, not necessarily on pure merit, but mostly his chances are increased because Dave Cameron will have a strong say on making it happen. What Pinnelli needs to do is have a very strong start to his season to prove that he should be considered.
Then Cameron can do the rest, much like he did with Matier being on the team a few years ago, and like Tourigny did with Jack Quinn a few years before that. Both Matier and Quinn were longshots to be selected, but both were.

BTW, Michelone has been released.

I think where they share the same market is group sales and fundraising activities. Neither of those two markets are “fan” specific. Group sales result in attendance boosts but are complete one off monies.

Girls hockey is more likley to go to the PWHL if youa re looking at minor hockey attendance.

So there are some segments that will hurt the 67’s for sure.

Where I am focused is the sustained attendance. There is a market segment, as you skillfully identified, that would not affect the 67’s. It is similar to the fan profile for the Team Canada Women’s Soccer. A lot of female soccer players and previous players (like my wife and her friends) that will go to those games.

Ticket price will have a very significant effect on support. If the ticket prices are significantly higher for the PWHL, then I can’t see families supporting it unless the kids are pushing hard for it. So, it again comes back to the Girls Minor hockey market.

Pinelli is in consideration. HE was invited to the Summer Camp. HE will get a shot. We will see who is healthy and how that affects the invitations. Pinelli will need to be on point and producing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad