Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
What has Cranley done to convince you of this? His record and stats this year look great, but when you look at who has he faced and consider the team he had in front of him, I am not so sure we can assume this is true, can we?
OTT @ KGN
OTT @ KIT
KGN @ OTT
HAM @ OTT
OTT @ NIAG
OTT @ HAM
MISS @ OTT
OTT @ KGN
NB @ OTT
KGN @ OTT
GUE @ OTT
HAM @ OTT
NIAG @ OTT
OTT @ NIAG
NB @ OTT
OTT @ MISS
OTT @ NB
KGN @ OTT
BAR @ OTT
OTT @ NB
NIAG @ OTT

Not saying he couldn't be top 10 in the league, but I wonder what leads you to this conclusion?
I kind of agree. Cranley did show progress as the year went along and his stats were decent. But I also think he was sheltered and they chose his opponents wisely. I do agree with that strategy for development and confidence building but it's too early to conclude he will be the guy. I'd like to see a bit more next year before they trade Andree. I would like to stress however that I do like his potential and development
trajectory.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What has Cranley done to convince you of this? His record and stats this year look great, but when you look at who has he faced and consider the team he had in front of him, I am not so sure we can assume this is true, can we?
OTT @ KGN
OTT @ KIT
KGN @ OTT
HAM @ OTT
OTT @ NIAG
OTT @ HAM
MISS @ OTT
OTT @ KGN
NB @ OTT
KGN @ OTT
GUE @ OTT
HAM @ OTT
NIAG @ OTT
OTT @ NIAG
NB @ OTT
OTT @ MISS
OTT @ NB
KGN @ OTT
BAR @ OTT
OTT @ NB
NIAG @ OTT

Not saying he couldn't be top 10 in the league, but I wonder what leads you to this conclusion?

You have to actually see him play. HE has a big body, absorbs the rebounds, holds good lines, challenges shooters etc. He has the tools and has been able to backstop the 67’s in games where they sort of lost discipline against the weaker teams.

At 17, he was still young this season but I think many believe he has the tools and enough experience now to claim the net as an 18 year old. Andree is better for sure. He’s more experienced but if they aren’t looking at a Championship, there doesn’t seem much sense not to get him the experience this year in preparation for his 4th year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Think that team is top 4 in the East? The top line is going to score but that 2nd line isn't going to light the lamp with any consistency then rookie 3rd line and a rookie 4th line.

To me that roster looks a lot like Hamilton this year with a really good top line and then a drastic fall off, decent D but not enough to overcome and questionable goaltending that's good at times but inconsistent.

Could see this line-up being in a fight with SBY/HAM for the 4th seed but I assume they'd trade off guys like Quinn in a non-win year to restock the cupboard, no?

Clarke is on the 2nd line for the 1st half of the season in Varga’s spot. Tolnai looked like a completely different player the last 4 weeks. I think he will step forward next year.

I don’t see any reason why that team cannot get to the .550 point which should be good enough in the East next year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rossi ne reviendra pas avec les 67’s

Rossi is confirmed to play pro, whether it's in the NHL as both he and Coach Tourigny confirm that he's played his last game as a 67.

I agree that it is likely that we have seen the last of him in a 67's jersey BUT as a lot of people here said that Hoef was not going to return I will stay with what I said. We never know what an NHL team is going to want.

A team like the Sens may want him in a place where the media and fans can follow him if he does not make the NHL team. There are many things that can happen.

OMG

There is no way we are going to get a first line EURO. There are too many teams drafting ahead of us for that.

As to defence I remember people saying that we could not win with the defence we had 2 years ago.

As to goal scoring, We are going to have Clarke, Quinn back as well as Hoelscher. Remember last year everyone said he could not be a goal scorer.
Next year is a draft year for a few of our players so I expect them to step up.

No we may not have a superstar line then again we might

My point is that there is really no team that is any better than this one on paper.

We have a year this year where Boyd can draft the best player available in the draft and not worry about positions. Instead of worrying which 4 are going to make the team from the draft it will only be a couple of players.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree that it is likely that we have seen the last of him in a 67's jersey BUT as a lot of people here said that Hoef was not going to return I will stay with what I said. We never know what an NHL team is going to want.

A team like the Sens may want him in a place where the media and fans can follow him if he does not make the NHL team. There are many things that can happen.

OMG

There is no way we are going to get a first line EURO. There are too many teams drafting ahead of us for that.

As to defence I remember people saying that we could not win with the defence we had 2 years ago.

As to goal scoring, We are going to have Clarke, Quinn back as well as Hoelscher. Remember last year everyone said he could not be a goal scorer.
Next year is a draft year for a few of our players so I expect them to step up.

No we may not have a superstar line then again we might

My point is that there is really no team that is any better than this one on paper.

We have a year this year where Boyd can draft the best player available in the draft and not worry about positions. Instead of worrying which 4 are going to make the team from the draft it will only be a couple of players.

We can TRADE for an Import. They are cheaper than North Americans because demand is lower. I’m not saying we will trade for Kaliyev but that is a layer that could be a target depending on how Hamilton performs next year. This is the most likely scenario for Ottawa to get an Import capable of playing top line.

The possibility exists the 67’s have an inside track on a 19 year old looking to make an early jump to North America.

The defence isn’t weak, it is just young. As long as we can add a veteran for the 2nd pairing, we should be ok. We don’t need a ton of scoring from the back end. Matier should be able to make a jump forward in year two. HE should be capable of logging 2nd pairing minutes without looking out of place. A combination of Sawyer, Gill and Costantini should be strong enough to play a 3rd pairing at a zero +/-.

The goaltending is strong.

We won’t be dominant but we should be able to hold our own against the stiffer competition.

Don’t get me wrong. IF I had my choice, I would trade Clarke at the deadline and bulk up on assets but we do need to still be in a position to win a round in the playoffs. We cannot step backward to basement territory. That is not good for development.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
CONGRATULATIONS TO
hoef
Bahl
Quinn
Garrefa
Okytuk
and of course MARCO ROSSI

for being int he OHL coaches top players

Questions

Byfield is not listed in any of the categories Do you think that will hurt him?

We talk about Rossi not coming back BUT is it possible that Quinn could pull a Monahan and surprise us and stay in the NHL?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Obviously I have too much time n my hands

There is the possibility that the Sens could draft Tim Stulze. If that is the case would they be willing to make a deal with the 67's to have them draft him in the event that he doesn't make the NHL team this year and they want to get him used t the North American style also get some development from Tourigny after how much he has done with Rossi?

Imagine if we get him and everyone comes back

Stutzle Rossi Clarke
Quinn Hoelsher Varga
Johnson Tolnai Sirrizotti
Beck Crete Groulx

Robinson
Draft Pick

Rippon Sawyer
Belanger Matier
Constantini Gill Shane
OA Trade with Andree draft pick

Cranley
Donosso

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Obviously I have too much time n my hands

There is the possibility that the Sens could draft Tim Stulze. If that is the case would they be willing to make a deal with the 67's to have them draft him in the event that he doesn't make the NHL team this year and they want to get him used t the North American style also get some development from Tourigny after how much he has done with Rossi?

Imagine if we get him and everyone comes back

Stutzle Rossi Clarke
Quinn Hoelsher Varga
Johnson Tolnai Sirrizotti
Beck Crete Groulx

Robinson
Draft Pick

Rippon Sawyer
Belanger Matier
Constantini Gill Shane
OA Trade with Andree draft pick

Cranley
Donosso

Stutzle was drafted 19th overall by Seattle of the WHL last year, if he comes to the CHL he has to play for them

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We know we have a solid young foundation with a few top forwards coming back, assuming Hoelscher returns.

Next year will definitely be the approach that Beast usually wants to pursue and that is see where we are in November and adjust accordingly.

Tolnai sited to turn a corner and play with a heightened level of confidence which was great to see. Can he build on that?

Robinson came back and although he looked rusty, he didn't look out of place.

Sirizzotti had an outstanding JrA season. Can he translate that into the jump to the OHL next season.

Can Johnston use all this time off to gain 20 pounds?

So many questions and variables.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The draft this year appears weak in terms of talent influx to the O as a lot of the top prospects are american and many will be in the under 17 program or USHL as they are NCAA commits.

We have the following picks
Round1: 20
Round 2: 25 from Hamilton
Round 3: 60
Round 4: 74 from Windsor
Round 5: 81 from North Bay

So 6 picks in first hundred. Anybody have thoughts on our needs and specific players we should target? To me center is our biggest need followed by left wing and the need to draft a good developmental prospect to potentially replace Andree in goal.

It will be a year that will really test our scouting department as it is short in obvious high end players that will report. So will be very important to draft on potential in 2 years ( like Hoelscher, Quinn) as we won't have many spots this year anyway.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The draft this year appears weak in terms of talent influx to the O as a lot of the top prospects are american and many will be in the under 17 program or USHL as they are NCAA commits.

We have the following picks
Round1: 20
Round 2: 25 from Hamilton
Round 3: 60
Round 4: 74 from Windsor
Round 5: 81 from North Bay

So 6 picks in first hundred. Anybody have thoughts on our needs and specific players we should target? To me center is our biggest need followed by left wing and the need to draft a good developmental prospect to potentially replace Andree in goal.

It will be a year that will really test our scouting department as it is short in obvious high end players that will report. So will be very important to draft on potential in 2 years ( like Hoelscher, Quinn) as we won't have many spots this year anyway.

This is going to be a year of the BPA. The only thing that will make it different we will see local guys drafted after the top 6.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
question about rossi.
I am not knocking him just wondering. Ottawa had in the past a couple of guys that were great scorers and players TESSIER AND LOCKE. Same size same skill set. They could not make the NHL jump. Has the NHL changed that much that Rossi for all his skill will be able to compete on an 80plus schedule?

ALSO for allyou young guys OMG just to make you feel younger LANCE GALBRAITH IS 40 YEARS OLD. lol

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
question about rossi.
I am not knocking him just wondering. Ottawa had in the past a couple of guys that were great scorers and players TESSIER AND LOCKE. Same size same skill set. They could not make the NHL jump. Has the NHL changed that much that Rossi for all his skill will be able to compete on an 80plus schedule?

ALSO for allyou young guys OMG just to make you feel younger LANCE GALBRAITH IS 40 YEARS OLD. lol

Beast. Stop embarrassing yourself. Rossi is not coming back. He has said so, the coach has said so and the GM has said so. What more do you need?

It is clear. If he does not mak his NHL team he will play professionally wherever he is able to until such time as he makes the NHL.

Can we please move on?

Besides, Dan Tessier, as great of a kid as he was, was not even remotely close to being in the same league as Rossi. It is evidenced by the fact he was never NHL drafted. Corey Locke was a late round pick. Rossi will likely go top 5, top 10 at worst. There is a tremendous gap between Rossi and those two players.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is going to be a year of the BPA. The only thing that will make it different we will see local guys drafted after the top 6.

The trend for this management team is to bulk up on NCAA bound players starting around the 5th/6th round. I don’t see any change in that philosophy.

If this team continues to be successful drafting through the 5th round, they would never need players past the 6th round unless they’re goalies or NCAA commits that equate to top two round players.

In other words, we don’t necessarily need to develop the players past the 5th round so why not roll the dice on the unicorns?

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Brock Otten put up an interesting two round mock on the OHL prospect site. Has us taking Matt Poitras a R center in round one and Justin Dezoete a R wing in round two. That would work for me as we need to add talent to our forward core as we are losing Hoelscher/Quinn/Clarke after next year.

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brock Otten put up an interesting two round mock on the OHL prospect site. Has us taking Matt Poitras a R center in round one and Justin Dezoete a R wing in round two. That would work for me as we need to add talent to our forward core as we are losing Hoelscher/Quinn/Clarke after next year.

We’ll need to take a D-Man with either our 2nd or 3rd pick. Looks like draft depth is on Defence so if we do draft two forwards first, it is likely the 3rd pick will be a D-Man and will probably be a decent player.

I know we have depth at defence for our young guys but it is hard having big gaps in ages. We may be in the same situation we were with Stratis, Bahl and Robertson. Three guys all the same age battling for positions. Matier, Sawyer and Gill-Shane are in the same boat.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

It's interesting to see the old Eastern Ontario Wild Bantam AAA teammates Cedric Guindon, David Goyette and Jonathan Melee all seemingly dropping on the draft rankings, likely because Ottawa and the US (in Goyette's case for this year) as all had really good stats. It would be a HUGE COUP to get one of Guindon/Goyette at the 20 spot and Melee in the 26 spot.

With nothing else going on in the world of sports, I have been paying quite a bit of attention to this year's OHL draft and am surprised that other than Fantilli none of the top players are playing the NCAA card. Maybe that's for this week?

If Ottawa wants to speed up the rebuild, maybe they try to trade for a defected player who wants to play for a new powerhouse like us and trade Quinn or Clarke at the deadline for another 2020 first rounder. If you can combine that group (3 2004 firsts + 26th overall) to the strong 2003 group, we could be looking at a major contender in the 2022-23 and 2023-24 seasons not to mention a very solid team the next two years that will still make the playoffs.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
We’ll need to take a D-Man with either our 2nd or 3rd pick. Looks like draft depth is on Defence so if we do draft two forwards first, it is likely the 3rd pick will be a D-Man and will probably be a decent player.

I know we have depth at defence for our young guys but it is hard having big gaps in ages. We may be in the same situation we were with Stratis, Bahl and Robertson. Three guys all the same age battling for positions. Matier, Sawyer and Gill-Shane are in the same boat.

I'd rather take the D in the third round and have them play primarily in Junior A this year, with a few tastes in the O like Hoelscher, Quinn, Gill-Shane and Sirizzotti.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'd rather take the D in the third round and have them play primarily in Junior A this year, with a few tastes in the O like Hoelscher, Quinn, Gill-Shane and Sirizzotti.

That's probably the plan provided the gap in quality between the centre and d-man with their 2nd pick isn't too wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad