Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I am going to play the role of GYPSY and make some predictions. Maybe with these predictions, we can get a clearer indication of where we really stand.

EASTERN CONFERENCE:
OSHAWA - It is clear to me the Generals are going to shift assets to next year. However, that does not mean they won’t be a contender this year.
1> They trade Seron Noel to a contender. They flip those assets to Niagara for Tomasino. They’ll keep McShane and Vallati in hopes they return as OA’s. If the price is right, they will dump both Walker and Resnick and upgrade their 3rd OA. The net effect for Oshawa is an improved roster.
PETERBOROUGH - The Petes will make a run if they can. They are also in a position to jettison either Wilson or Paquette and take advantage of a value option OA forward. That said, they do generate a lot of offence but they’ll need more. They are fine in net. They have depth on the blueline but they need to move some of the volume for more dynamic players there. They have two good lines but need to generate offence from the third line. I predict the Petes will move Paquette or Wilson and acquire an OA forward. They will also try to land a big fish forward. That will stretch them out to three full lines. They’ll stand pat on defence and rely on the goaltending and overall offence.
SUDBURY - The Wolves will push as had as they possibly can. They NEED IT. Byfield may not return and they really have to take advantage. They are another team with two solid lines but ack scoring from their 3rd. Solid D Core but lack that 3rd scoring option. I think they will go for volume over stud. They have Byfield that can carry them up front. So, I don’t see them going after the likes of Thomas or Noel. They’ll pick up 2 forwards that can score at that 55 point pace to stretch out their lines. If they spend, it will be on the back end.
BARRIE - The colts have four OA’s but only one is what you would consider useful on a contending team. They can easily upgrade two OA positions if that market opens up like most predict it will. If they use those spots on forwards, they’ll be three deep in a big way. They can use another puck mover from the back end. I see two OA forwards being acquired and it the opportunity presents itself, a slick D-Man.

WESTERN CONFERENCE
GUELPH - The Storm will continue the rebuild. They’ll make Gogolev, Gordeev and Ralph available. They’ll roll ok and make the playoffs while helping to replenish the picks lost last year.
ERIE, OWEN SOUND - Both will stand pat and allow the market to decide whether they sell or buy while neither selling nor buying heavily. Owen Sound may make Dundas available if they feel he has no chance of returning as an OA and the market pays off but I think they’ll keep him.
KITCHENER - I think they are going to buy. I think they are underachieving and will make a push. That may change if they are not gaining ground over the next three weeks. They are set at OA and in net. They need one of the studs. I can see them being in on a kid like Thomas. They won’t trade Pinelli though.
LONDON - I see the Knights pushing hard. They can dump Tymkin & Nelson and add two stud OA’s. With three big puck movers on the back end, they’ll add maybe a stay at home type if one is available cheap. I see the Knight’s filling the two OA spots on forward. I can also see them making Rolofs available which will open them up for a big fish trade. You add a kid like Noel and two OA forwards, add them to that slick defence and Myskiew in net? WHAMMOO! Tough to beat if they get chemistry and stay healthy. Front Runner in the West for sure if they can pull off those deals.
FLINT - Flint can upgrade Phil’s on Forward in the OA slot. They need a straw to stir the drink Dellandrea is fine but they need someone a little more forceful down the middle. Another potential landing spot for Thomas. Pretty solid back end. Popovich is fine in net. If they can add that impact forward and a strong scoring OA forward they will be tough as well.
SAGINAW - The Spirit want to think themselves a contender but I am not too sure. They need a little too much up front. I’ve said we’ll see Perfetti in Oshawa next year but I am not too sure it won’t be this year. I think Saginaw will watch the market and really gauge how everything works out. If they can strike and buy, maybe they will but I am not too sure with all the potential buyers they will find enough pieces to match up with London when they are done piecing together their team. If Oshawa is willing to give up Harrison, I could see Perfetti changing teams this season.
WINDSOR - Relatively young team. They’ll probably roll with they’re roster as is with little change.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OK Beast just got to say it. Why are you so deadset on us being sellers?? I understand a different point of view and OMG did earlier make a case for selling (which I disagree with but that's beside the point). Why do you keep harping on the same point?
Facts
1-we have a top goalie
2- healthy we've got a solid top four
3-we have a great top 5 (6 if Clarke returns)
4- we paid for Gareffa so we're not selling
5- most likely the M-cup goes to Oshawa next year, so Oshawa and the west are buyers
6- we lose Bahl, Hoef, Keats, Gareffa, probably Hoelscher and maybe Rossi.

Guys next year is not!! our year. That ship has sailed, give it up.

Where I disagree is the top 4 D-Men. I really think both Rippon and Okhotyuk have reached their ceiling. Neither have shown a leap forward as 19 year olds. That is not to say they won’t leap at some point but we haven’t seen it. In fact, I would say Rippon has taken a slight step back.

I know you like Matier but he has never really shown to be an offensive once. A point per game in the Northern Region in SSM isn’t really something great in a short schedule. Previous years hadn’t shown him to be much of an offensive force. I just don’t see him as that jump in the rush sorta guy. That is no disrespect. HE looks like a strong talent, mobile, can move the puck, poised etc. But, if we can acquire Harley for 1.5 seasons, I’d make that deal if the pick comp on top of Matier wasn’t too tough to swallow. If we make Harley available next year, we may even be able to recoup almost all the assets traded to get him, he’s that good. You add an 80 point D-Man to this roster and you have two guys that operate as #1 offensive guys and it will be really tough for the opposition to centre on one pairing. Shift one of Rippon or Okhotyuk to the third pairing with Sawyer or Costantini and I think we’d be fine.

My forward target is Hayden. I can also see Matier going back home in that deal. I think he’ll get sent back for the Juniors and then to SSM. I can’t see SSM keeping him if there is a team willing to give up a solid 2003 plus a few picks for him.

In the end, I will say this. If there is anyone out there as adamant as you are that suggests this is the year and isn’t willing to give up both Tolnai and Matier, then this isn’t the year to buy and make a Championship push. It really is that simple. These players are not in the Monahan, Couture, Toffoli type category. Neither of these guys are hurting us by not being in our lineup this year. Neither will play a significant role this year and we can also argue neither will play a significant role next year. Do I want to trade these guys? No. But, if we are truly making a run this year and don’t want to make a half assed run, we better be willing to part with these guys. I see three stud forwards available (Noel, Thomas, Hayden). One stud D-Man (Harley). Please don’t mention Gogolev. His playoff stats are embarrassing. If we can snag HArley and one of Thomas or Hayden plus one more serviceable forward, we should do it.

Trade #1
To Mississauga
Tolnai
Two 2nds
3rd
4th

To Ottawa
Harley
Whittaker

Trade #2
To SSM
Matier
Crete
Two 2nds
3rd
Two 4ths

To Ottawa
Hayden
LeGuerrier

Keating-Rossi-Garreffa
Whittaker -Hayden-Clarke
Belanger-Hoelscher-Quinn
Robinson-Tourigny-Varga

Harley-Bahl
Hoefenmeyer-Rippon
LeGuerrier-Okhotyuk

That is a lineup that can take on a team like London when they are finished their trades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Where I disagree is the top 4 D-Men. I really think both Rippon and Okhotyuk have reached their ceiling. Neither have shown a leap forward as 19 year olds. That is not to say they won’t leap at some point but we haven’t seen it. In fact, I would say Rippon has taken a slight step back.

I know you like Matier but he has never really shown to be an offensive once. A point per game in the Northern Region in SSM isn’t really something great in a short schedule. Previous years hadn’t shown him to be much of an offensive force. I just don’t see him as that jump in the rush sorta guy. That is no disrespect. HE looks like a strong talent, mobile, can move the puck, poised etc. But, if we can acquire Harley for 1.5 seasons, I’d make that deal if the pick comp on top of Matier wasn’t too tough to swallow. If we make Harley available next year, we may even be able to recoup almost all the assets traded to get him, he’s that good. You add an 80 point D-Man to this roster and you have two guys that operate as #1 offensive guys and it will be really tough for the opposition to centre on one pairing. Shift one of Rippon or Okhotyuk to the third pairing with Sawyer or Costantini and I think we’d be fine.

My forward target is Hayden. I can also see Matier going back home in that deal. I think he’ll get sent back for the Juniors and then to SSM. I can’t see SSM keeping him if there is a team willing to give up a solid 2003 plus a few picks for him.

In the end, I will say this. If there is anyone out there as adamant as you are that suggests this is the year and isn’t willing to give up both Tolnai and Matier, then this isn’t the year to buy and make a Championship push. It really is that simple. These players are not in the Monahan, Couture, Toffoli type category. Neither of these guys are hurting us by not being in our lineup this year. Neither will play a significant role this year and we can also argue neither will play a significant role next year. Do I want to trade these guys? No. But, if we are truly making a run this year and don’t want to make a half assed run, we better be willing to part with these guys. I see three stud forwards available (Noel, Thomas, Hayden). One stud D-Man (Harley). Please don’t mention Gogolev. His playoff stats are embarrassing. If we can snag HArley and one of Thomas or Hayden plus one more serviceable forward, we should do it.

Trade #1
To Mississauga
Tolnai
Two 2nds
3rd
4th

To Ottawa
Harley
Whittaker

Trade #2
To SSM
Matier
Crete
Two 2nds
3rd
Two 4ths

To Ottawa
Hayden
LeGuerrier

Keating-Rossi-Garreffa
Whittaker -Hayden-Clarke
Belanger-Hoelscher-Quinn
Robinson-Tourigny-Varga

Harley-Bahl
Hoefenmeyer-Rippon
LeGuerrier-Okhotyuk

That is a lineup that can take on a team like London when they are finished their trades.
Has Hayton been sent back to the Soo. If he has I agree he's the top target up front. I know you are right by the way, if Matier is the piece to put us over the top we will need to do it as I do think strongly this is the year. If we can avoid it it would be great as I really see that 2003 group as the key for a quick rebuild and the ability to not completely suck for two years. I really like your trade suggestions, that team would be a tough nut to crack.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Has Hayton been sent back to the Soo. If he has I agree he's the top target up front. I know you are right by the way, if Matier is the piece to put us over the top we will need to do it as I do think strongly this is the year. If we can avoid it it would be great as I really see that 2003 group as the key for a quick rebuild and the ability to not completely suck for two years. I really like your trade suggestions, that team would be a tough nut to crack.

I see Oshawa as a buyer of players for next year so even though they will trade Noel, they will invest in Tomasino and Perfetti at some point. May be this year if they can make those deals happen. If they do, they will be really tough. The Petes, Sudbury, Barrie, London, Flint, and maybe Kitchener will all be buying in various degrees IMO. We’ll have competition. There will be no Suzuki/Durzi discounts this year, that is for darn sure.

Like I say, if you are not willing to deal Tolnai and Matier (our last two 1st rounders) then you quite simply are not advocating going for it this year. You are just “hoping” to win.

I know you understand this. We are both in the same boat that we don’t really want to but understand it will need to be done if we truly want to win.

If the pool of teams buying is solid and they are all willing to part with significant assets, we should look at the selling option. At least play the market and see where we stand. If management isn’t willing to stomach the loss of Tolnai and Matier, they need to look at a sell off of some kind. Standing pat, if we are being completely honest, doesn’t even reasonably guarantee a first round win if Oshawa, Peterborough, Sudbury and Barrie all improve. We may not even look at home ice! That is how competitive this conference may end up post-deadline.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
As a wolves and Petes fan, I would be happy if the ‘67s sell. With the Gens & Colts almost certainly not in the market for graduating players instead shedding them, there will be great deals to be had, I think.
It would be awesome for the wolves to have to weigh the great deadline steal; Thomas & Sopa, Pekar & Tucker; Noel & Gross; Bahl & Rossi, Jenik, ... Who would the wolves be bidding against; maybe, Saginaw & London?

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As a wolves and Petes fan, I would be happy if the ‘67s sell. With the Gens & Colts almost certainly not in the market for graduating players instead shedding them, there will be great deals to be had, I think.
It would be awesome for the wolves to have to weigh the great deadline steal; Thomas & Sopa, Pekar & Tucker; Noel & Gross; Bahl & Rossi, Jenik, ... Who would the wolves be bidding against; maybe, Saginaw & London?

I think that is very wishful thinking. As I mentioned, Flint, London and Kitchener are all probable buyers. Saginaw maybe. Peterborough, Sudbury and Barrie also highly probable. Oshawa may sell Noel but they won’t be sellers. They will shift assets forward. I see them taking assets acquired on Noel and shifting them to Niagara for Tomasino.

I simply don’t see the market shaping up as you envision. I think there are more than enough teams looking to push forward to escalate the prices. There are probably only three teams willing to make a real push but that would be enough to shift Thomas, Noel, Harley and Hayden (if returned) to contenders. Everyone else will have to fight over the depth players.

Bring out your guns this deadline because I think anyone serious is going to have to use them.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
With all due respect OMG, other than the fact that he was drafted in the 1st round (#6 overall), Cameron Tolnai has no first round value to other teams. This is a player with 15 points in his first 70 OHL games (with every opportunity afforded him). That puts him right on track with Quinn Yule (your favourite whipping boy) and Oliver True over the same number of games.

Fans tend to overvalue their own players and prospects and Tolnai, who has improved his play (if not results) dramatically, is not likely coveted by many other teams than the value seeking bottom feeders.

Other than the 'a change is as good as a rest' or the 'fresh start' angle, Tolnai has the value of any under-performing 3rd or 4th rounder, which, you would know best, is next to nothing higher than a couple of 3rd or 4th rounders. I can't see a team giving up an 80-point forward or 60-point D-man for Tolnai and picks, even if they gain a couple of years.

Reactions: StormWatcher

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think that is very wishful thinking. As I mentioned, Flint, London and Kitchener are all probable buyers. Saginaw maybe. Peterborough, Sudbury and Barrie also highly probable. Oshawa may sell Noel but they won’t be sellers. They will shift assets forward. I see them taking assets acquired on Noel and shifting them to Niagara for Tomasino.

I simply don’t see the market shaping up as you envision. I think there are more than enough teams looking to push forward to escalate the prices. There are probably only three teams willing to make a real push but that would be enough to shift Thomas, Noel, Harley and Hayden (if returned) to contenders. Everyone else will have to fight over the depth players.

Bring out your guns this deadline because I think anyone serious is going to have to use them.

wishful thinking indeed, ‘67s selling rather than buying would significantly deflate prices, I believe.
Barrie made their intentions known with the Porco deal, imo. With one 2nd available to trade, they will be buying nothing for this season. The colts are the team in position to shift assets to next season.
The Gens have work to do before being considered a legitimate host team. The equivalent of Noel + for Tomasino is just the beginning.
Flint and Peterborough prepared for this year with moves two seasons ago, last season, and this pre-season. One big move for the Petes, an OA for Flint, and maybe a little tinkering; unless, offers are too good to pass up.
Imo Jenik, Kaliyev, Pekar, Tucker, Sopa, Lodinia, Hillis, Gogalev Gordeev, are more than depth players. One of Kitchener, Saginaw, Windsor bails making player(s) available. London will be on the side of value, buyer or seller; they always are. All others tinker.
Ottawa can absolutely flood the market if selling, (imo).

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
EJmems9XYAEjvkI.jpg:small

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Quite the game going on between Hamilton and Sudbury, score is 10-10 after 3

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With all due respect OMG, other than the fact that he was drafted in the 1st round (#6 overall), Cameron Tolnai has no first round value to other teams. This is a player with 15 points in his first 70 OHL games (with every opportunity afforded him). That puts him right on track with Quinn Yule (your favourite whipping boy) and Oliver True over the same number of games.

Fans tend to overvalue their own players and prospects and Tolnai, who has improved his play (if not results) dramatically, is not likely coveted by many other teams than the value seeking bottom feeders.

Other than the 'a change is as good as a rest' or the 'fresh start' angle, Tolnai has the value of any under-performing 3rd or 4th rounder, which, you would know best, is next to nothing higher than a couple of 3rd or 4th rounders. I can't see a team giving up an 80-point forward or 60-point D-man for Tolnai and picks, even if they gain a couple of years.

I disagree regarding Tolnai. He’ll get a solid 5 weeks beside Hoelscher. We’ll see if he can turn it around. We’ve seen many examples of players like Tolnai being traded for significant value based on their pedigree. Heck, Ottawa gave Oshawa two 2nds for Robinson. Ottawa traded Perklin for McFarland.

Tolnai’s eye test has been more favourable than his stat line as you have mentioned.

I will agree it is not ideal to assume he has high value; however, if the trades out there are pick based deals vs Ottawa with Tolnai plus a picks package, I still feel the value is better with the player. Many recent trades will show that to be more accurate.

In the end, we’ll have to see whether he can take advantage of the points opportunities with Hoelscher in the same manner Belanger had on that same line.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's win 6-3

Rossi and Garreffa each with 2g 2a

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Rossi up to 7th in OHL scoring with 32 points in 16 games averaging 2 points a game

Garreffa up to 45th in OHL scoring with 21 points in 11 games averaging 1.91 points per game.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
67’s now in first place in the OHL after today’s win.

The most remarkable part of their great start is that 13 out of their first 21 games have been on the road and they are 6-3 against the West teams who have winning records ON THE ROAD. Conversely, Oshawa has yet to play ANY of the top none West teams on the road,

Oh yeah, we are winning WITHOUT Clarke, Okhotyuk, Robinson and Rippon.

Why on EARTH would this team sell this year? Enough with the nonsense selling posts people!!

three dog night

May 3, 2014

The most remarkable part of their great start is that 13 out of their first 21 games have been on the road and they are 6-3 against the West teams who have winning records ON THE ROAD. Conversely, Oshawa has yet to play ANY of the top none West teams on the road,

Why on EARTH would this team sell this year? Enough with the nonsense selling posts people!!
Who knows maybe it the extra time wins making their record better than it is.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
An extra-time win is still a win.

The point was there is no 3 on 3 or shootouts in the playoffs.

Although they have played much better of late, their record does flatter their performance.

They are still a top team but they are a top team amongst 5 other top teams.

How do you honestly separate them?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It depends on how far management is willing to go. Last year they were unwilling to part with players at the deadline. If they still have that mentality, we'll get left behind and will be a 2nd tier contender.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
It depends on how far management is willing to go. Last year they were unwilling to part with players at the deadline. If they still have that mentality, we'll get left behind and will be a 2nd tier contender.

We were up 2-0 in the OHL final after breaking the OHL record with 14 straight wins before their stud Goalie who had exclusively seen time in nets for a month and a half went down and the series obviously shifted.

Your narrative that last year was a disappointment is getting old. Nine other teams in the East would have loved to have had our “disappointing” season.

This Management team has done a 10/10 job in the past two plus seasons.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad