Confirmed Trade: [OTT/UTA] Jan Jenik for Egor Sokolov

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
I liked Egor but it seems like the writing was on the wall. Never was able to take that next step (no footspeed pun intended). If anything, he took a step back. Hope he's able to make it work in Utah because he seems like a great human.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Andlauer and Staois bring in another Hamilton guy. Sokolov is a nice AHL piece but not enough speed for the modern game. Guy is a gem though, all the best in Utah (or more likely Tucson).

Reactions: StoneHoffs129

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Was kind of hoping for the Habs to get Sokolov, but like the poster above said his speed isn't very good, so not too disappointed about a tweener getting a chance.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Last summer, Sokolov gave an interview where he said he had been studying the play of Wheeler and Tage Thompson. I immediately wrote him off for the season. Hopefully hes learned.

• Haha
Reactions: Heldig

bleachdrinker

Sep 7, 2022
Philadelphia
ADC783EB-311D-4EB7-9924-85B36CAD8080.jpeg

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Two players who would argue they haven’t been given a proper shot.

I’d take Sokolov over Jenik, but to be fair to Jenik, I’ve only ever watched him play in a few AHL games, and let’s just say they haven’t been when he’s piled up any stats. To me Sokolov can 100% be a consistent 82 game player, who just needs more maturity and experience at this point. I’m not sure Jenik can be someone to trust in your bottom 6. It’s been his big issue from what I understand. He considers his “opportunity” being put on an NHL scoring line. Not doing all the little things to keep earning an NHL payday, while working your way up the lineup.

We’ll see. He’s supposedly much more talented than I’ve seen.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Jenik was supplanted by 21 G scorer - Carcone for the last forward spot and went through waivers last season. Energy type forward.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
he didnt bust he was given zero chances to make it in the NHL.
He might be a bust but DJ refused to play him because of 1 turn over.
stupid

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Stupid trade. Jenik looked good in most of his showings in the NHL and was sometimes one of our more dangerous forwards in Arizona. Yes he needed work especially on the defensive side of things but losing an asset because you won't sign him and give him NHL time whatsoever is bloody stupid. It's cool that this is a completely lateral trade for someone who you also probably won't give the same opportunity too though.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I hope jenik finally cracks a roster and sticks. Lauko did and I felt jenik was the better player. I do have a soft spot for him though

Reactions: Dionysus

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
What kind of game does Jenik play? Ottawa has spots in the bottom 6 up for grabs, hoping he can take one.
He should be able to take a spot. I don't know if he would have made it to the Sens through waivers and this way he gets a good look at camp. He did request a trade last year, but passed through waivers instead.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
What kind of game does Jenik play? Ottawa has spots in the bottom 6 up for grabs, hoping he can take one.
He was a high end scoring machine in Jr (with Kalilyev). Looked great internationally.

But his game didn't seem to translate to NHL. So the he started hitting and fighting.

High end ... Gritty 3C who you absolutely love because of a nice combo of grit and skill.

Low end... Belleville and then joins smejkal in Extraliga a year later.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Skill guy who is pretty good on the cycle and in front but he shines best when you play him with some talented players offensively. His defense is the worst part of his game, sometimes looks lost. But he'll occasionally wow with some slick stickhandling and a pretty good shot and vision. He protects the puck well and should be given more of a shot at Center. He has a good work ethic and is willing to put in the effort. He's steadily improved every year.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
He was a high end scoring machine in Jr (with Kalilyev). Looked great internationally.

But his game didn't seem to translate to NHL. So the he started hitting and fighting.

High end ... Gritty 3C who you absolutely love because of a nice combo of grit and skill.

Low end... Belleville and then joins smejkal in Extraliga a year later.

Thanks! Hopefully he can carve out a spot for himself.

I liked Smejkal's game in Ottawa, nice to see him get an NHL goal. Footspeed seemed like the only thing stopping him from sticking.

Reactions: Czechboy

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Two players who would argue they haven’t been given a proper shot.

I’d take Sokolov over Jenik, but to be fair to Jenik, I’ve only ever watched him play in a few AHL games, and let’s just say they haven’t been when he’s piled up any stats. To me Sokolov can 100% be a consistent 82 game player, who just needs more maturity and experience at this point. I’m not sure Jenik can be someone to trust in your bottom 6. It’s been his big issue from what I understand. He considers his “opportunity” being put on an NHL scoring line. Not doing all the little things to keep earning an NHL payday, while working your way up the lineup.

We’ll see. He’s supposedly much more talented than I’ve seen.
Sokolov needs a lot more than that.

He's an offensive player who can't keep up offensively at the NHL level because of his skating. He hasn't been able to adapt his game over the years. He doesn't have the IQ to play middle six. He doesn't have the defensive game, skating or anticipation to play 4th line. He isn't as good on the boards as you would expect considering his size. I could go on.

I'm not exactly a Sokolov hater, but after watching him closely for 4 years and following both sides of the debate on the Sens board I just think he is the perfect example of people ignoring reality in favour of focusing on a small number of solid AHL level skills, which for him is his shot, his scoring ability off the rush and a willingness to go to the dirty areas and get some garbage goals.

To me he seems just as far from making the NHL today as he was 2 years ago.

Good guy though. Delivered groceries to old people during COVID, has a great sense of humour, learned English really quickly while embracing small town Canadiana and has a heart warming draft day video of him celebrating with his billet family. Those things are not currencies that get you to the NHL though despite lots of Sens fans wishing for years that they were.

Reactions: luiginb and salwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad