Confirmed with Link: Ott promoted to Associate HC, Julien hired as assistant, other assistants extended

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don't think that is the case, I think this is more of just a promotion in name only so Ott doesn't get his feelings hurt that Julien is coming in as well.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarity.
"Coach in waiting" seems like an internet legend in the making. This is going on at the same time that we're anticipating Steen taking over as GM. Am I supposed to believe he doesn't get to hire the coach he wants?

I like bringing in an experienced guy like Julien. He's not too old to be a significant contributor to this team. It doesn't have to be Julien specifically, but I like having a mind like that added to this staff.

I'm pretty excited about Julien tbh, We've needed someone since we lost Monty.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I
Why do we need someone to overhaul our defensive strategy when we just hired a Defensive coach last year, and subsequently kept him in Weber? Shouldn't Weber fix our D strategy? Or better yet, shouldn't he have already fixed it?

Why do we need a coach-in-waiting when we just hired our current head coach a month ago?

I like the Julien move. Especially if Bannister signed off on it. But our coaching situation is beyond ridiculous. We hire inept guys like Van Ryn. Ott, and potentially Weber. Then we have to bring in others to do their jobs:, Larry Robinson, Montgomery, Brad Richards to fix our PP that Ott who just got promoted runs, and now Julien. Hire coaches you trust to do the job, and let them do the job. Stop keeping likable guys with no experience and no success in their positions.
I dont disagree with your position entirely. But I’ll just ask this question. Given the choice of having Julien on the staff or not, would you want him? I would. That’s really all I was getting at.

I'm glad we brought in someone with experience. The writing may be on the wall with the Blues looking toward Ott as HC if Bannister falters.

Not sure how I feel about that.
I would 1000% rather have Julien as a head coach than Ott.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
There's never going to be a situation where I feel confident moving forward with Ott over more experienced coaches. But I also don't know nearly as much as the guys who get paid a lot of money to make these decisions who know a lot more about what goes on behind the scenes.

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I dont disagree with your position entirely. But I’ll just ask this question. Given the choice of having Julien on the staff or not, would you want him? I would. That’s really all I was getting at.

I'd rather have him. I'm more questioning why we promoted Ott or hired Weber only to bring others in to do their job. There can definitely be an issue with too many cooks in the kitchen with all the coaches.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'd rather have him. I'm more questioning why we promoted Ott or hired Weber only to bring others in to do their job. There can definitely be an issue with too many cooks in the kitchen with all the coaches.
My sense is that Ott is really good working with players on improving different skills, like Hayes’ on faceoffs. What we have been missing is veteran coach who can help with bigger picture stuff, strategy and game planning type areas that we have struggled with since Monty left. As someone else said, it’s like in football where you have position coaches and coordinators and not every top head coach was top coordinator and not every top coordinator is well equipped to be top coach. As hockey gets more data-driven, the needs for these diverse coaching skills will become I think more apparent. Love this hire.

Reactions: mk80 and joe galiba

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think part of the reason Ott got a promo was simply to keep him in the org. If we didn’t promote him there may have been a serious risk of another team poaching him.

Believe it’s been reported Toronto had interest in hiring Ott for an assistant role…think it was on a recent Friedman hit on Jeff Marek’s radio show, don’t have a link to support unfortunately.

Reactions: Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think part of the reason Ott got a promo was simply to keep him in the org. If we didn’t promote him there may have been a serious risk of another team poaching him.

Believe it’s been reported Toronto had interest in hiring Ott for an assistant role…think it was on a recent Friedman hit on Jeff Marek’s radio show, don’t have a link to support unfortunately.
Serious question: what would we have lost if he left?

Reactions: Majorityof1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad