Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Nick Holden signs extension [1yr, $1.3m AAV]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators (@Senators) announced today that the team has signed defenceman Nick Holdento a one-year contract extension. The contract has a value of $1.3M for the 2022-23 season.

Outstanding deal. I think many Sens fans were prepared to go up to $4m for 1yr, myself included, and probably wouldn't have blinked at 2yrs x $2m. He has been very good for us in a top 4 role, although he is more well-suited to 3rd pair, and he has been an outstanding off-ice presence. Truly one of the most impressive vets, on & off the ice, that we've added in my not-too-recent memory, even going back to Sens powerhouse years.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Holden has averaged 19:22m per game with Ottawa, which is his highest total since 2016-2017.

He doesn't bring much of an offensive presence, but has done an excellent job almost every night despite facing tough competition and starting a whopping 72.2% (!!!) of his shifts in the D-Zone.

Of late (past half month), he has formed a stabilizing 2nd pairing with Zub, where he has done an admirable job lining up against Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, McDavid, Draisaitl, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, etc, holding them almost entirely off the score-sheet at 5-on-5 and coming out ahead on the +/- ledger.

Excellent news for Ottawa today. Holden will almost certainly be a 3rd pairing player for us by the end of his contract, and might even fall lower, but his on-ice and off-ice presence are absolutely instrumental for this young, growing team.

Reactions: Altimus

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Will be that much more notable when Sanderson comes to NHL and Ottawa rides: Chabot, Sanderson, Holden on the left. Gives them solid depth.

He's done a great job with Zub recently, and unless facing high octane teams, they've been very effective.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Will be that much more notable when Sanderson comes to NHL and Ottawa rides: Chabot, Sanderson, Holden on the left. Gives them solid depth.

He's done a great job with Zub recently, and unless facing high octane teams, they've been very effective.

They've been pretty effective against the high-octane teams, too: +1 against CGY, EDM, PIT & WSH since the return.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

I actually like how our d-core is shaping up for next year.

Chabot-JBD/Thomson
Holden-Zub
Sanderson-Zaitsev

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I didn't have much expectation for him this season. However, he's been very solid in a shutdown role. Great deal as well. He's a big glue guy in the room also.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Holden found his game big time likely could have got more in free agency with term and dollar but I guess he likes it in ottawa

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
He's been so instrumental in the Sens lineup, including the dressing room. Happy to see him re-signed!

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Excellent! Why did he take a 1 year deal, I feel he's been good enough for at least a 3 year, 6 million dollar deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad