Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Logan Brown re-signs with the Senators (1 year, $750k, two-way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He already showed it in the games he played. IMO

The guy has 1 career goal and a career pace of 2.7 goals and 21.9 assists over 82 games. If he doesn't take a MASSIVE leap forward, he will not be in the NHL next in 2022-23. His numbers (and play IMO) have been abysmal, and he's only even 'rated' at all because he is a former 11th overall pick. If he was a 3rd rounder he wouldn't even be talked about.

That said, I am admittedly a hater of his. I thought it was a huge mistake taking him with Chychrun still on the board back in 2016. Proving me right has been annoying to say the least.

At least Chychrun didn't turn in to Kopitar (I hated Brian Lee for the same reason).

Reactions: Altimus

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The guy has 1 career goal and a career pace of 2.7 goals and 21.9 assists over 82 games. If he doesn't take a MASSIVE leap forward, he will not be in the NHL next in 2022-23. His numbers (and play IMO) have been abysmal, and he's only even 'rated' at all because he is a former 11th overall pick. If he was a 3rd rounder he wouldn't even be talked about.

That said, I am admittedly a hater of his. I thought it was a huge mistake taking him with Chychrun still on the board back in 2016. Proving me right has been annoying to say the least.

At least Chychrun didn't turn in to Kopitar (I hated Brian Lee for the same reason).

He got 12mins a night and has 30gp. We dont know what he can be yet - thats a fact.

If Logan Brown can stay healthy and motivated - hes got an incredible opportunity to revive his career this season. It would have been foolish to give another team that same chance to strike gold like Ottawa does.

Reactions: bert

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
He got 12mins a night and has 30gp. We dont know what he can be yet - thats a fact.

If Logan Brown can stay healthy and motivated - hes got an incredible opportunity to revive his career this season. It would have been foolish to give another team that same chance to strike gold like Ottawa does.

Yeah just doesn’t make sense, it’s like selling a 50,000$ jackpot scratch ticket that you bought for 5$ to someone for 25 cents.

Rather just take the loss than sell my chance for minimal return.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah just doesn’t make sense, it’s like selling a 50,000$ jackpot scratch ticket that you bought for 5$ to someone for 25 cents.

That's a horrible analogy for prospects.

It's a lot more like that suitcase deal or no deal show. In Brown's case - all the big numbers are gone except 1, and there's a lot of small numbers left. The offers you're gonna get are based on statistics, and they are going to be low. You're counting on that million dollar prize. I'm playing the odds. I'm cutting my losses while you're all in.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
That's a horrible analogy for prospects.

It's a lot more like that suitcase deal or no deal show. In Brown's case - all the big numbers are gone except 1, and there's a lot of small numbers left. The offers you're gonna get are based on statistics, and they are going to be low. You're counting on that million dollar prize. I'm playing the odds. I'm cutting my losses while you're all in.

The thing is in deal or no deal, the case that you don’t pick doesn’t go to someone you don’t like or that is working against your success. If I don’t pick the big case, my competitors don’t automatically get it.

It may not play onto the minds of professional GMs, as I’m sure they care more about making their team better as opposed to worrying about other another team. (Lol, Hoffman to outside the division) However, that process is what I have and is similar to what the poster I replied to has. Probably wrong mindset, I’m not a gm.

I much rather hold onto my scratch ticket that I bought (drafted), which in the worse case scenario can be zero dollars (bust) and maybe win a couple of dollars (AHL-NHL tweener) than to sell my scratch ticket for a dollar (2nd-3rd round pick) to someone I hated (other teams) for them to have a chance at winning the jackpot. (Logan Brown becoming a superstar)

But the deal or no deal analogy is even worse in my opinion for not considering that fact. Either way I’m not going to die on a hill continuously debating which analogy is worse.

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

That's just silly. He's a 6'6" super skilled center that put up big numbers in the AHL who would be talked about regardless of where was picked. He's Petr Schastlivy with size and Schastlivy got talked about plenty despite being a 4th rounder but his inability to crack the lineup was chalked up due to injuries, just like Logan.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: Icelevel and bert

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
His health is a major concern and has been since Junior. Rooting for him to have healthy and productive year.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
I would take a 2nd for logan. Anything less id rather see if he can stay healthy for the year and push into the bigs. He is the exact player ottawa needs so not worth trading for another project or low pick.

Reactions: bert

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I think Arizona should be trading a pick to Ottawa for Logan Brown. Arizona has so many picks, they can't reasonably develop that many prospects and give them all playing time over the next few years.

Moving some picks for young players makes a lot of sense, to me.

Toss in Colin White, as well. What's the price for both White and Brown?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think Arizona should be trading a pick to Ottawa for Logan Brown. Arizona has so many picks, they can't reasonably develop that many prospects and give them all playing time over the next few years.

Moving some picks for young players makes a lot of sense, to me.

Toss in Colin White, as well. What's the price for both White and Brown?

We couldnt make that trade without an NHL center in return, and you guys are probably the last team to offer that.

I dont think we will trade White, at least not without a good return. The cost of buying him out this offseason is like 850k a year so we might as well see if he can be a consistent top 9 all-around contributor before cutting ties.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
We couldnt make that trade without an NHL center in return, and you guys are probably the last team to offer that.

I dont think we will trade White, at least not without a good return. The cost of buying him out this offseason is like 850k a year so we might as well see if he can be a consistent top 9 all-around contributor before cutting ties.

I appreciate the response, but dang. You're talking about a buyout for White. And if Brown has a mediocre camp he could be waived.

But you'd still turn down a trade discussion from a team overloaded with 2nd and 3rd round picks? Ya, Arizona probably can't send a center the other way. But still.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I appreciate the response, but dang. You're talking about a buyout for White. And if Brown has a mediocre camp he could be waived.

But you'd still turn down a trade discussion from a team overloaded with 2nd and 3rd round picks? Ya, Arizona probably can't send a center the other way. But still.

Oh, I would trade Brown for sure. But White would only be dealt if we had a move in line for another legit NHL player. White is overpaid, but he's at least a solid bottom 6er and has shown the ability to be a valuable player. We are already looking for a RW or C as is (White will fill one of those roles) and we would need to find another one if he's dealt.

If we could get AZ 2nd + 3rd for Brown and White, I would do it, but ONLY if we could immediately flip those assets as part of a bigger package for an NHL player, and honestly, I don't see where we are gonna find that player. If all we get out of White is some ok hockey where he adds to the internal competition for the kids, that's worth more to us at this stage than a 2nd.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Oh, I would trade Brown for sure. But White would only be dealt if we had a move in line for another legit NHL player. White is overpaid, but he's at least a solid bottom 6er and has shown the ability to be a valuable player. We are already looking for a RW or C as is (White will fill one of those roles) and we would need to find another one if he's dealt.

If we could get AZ 2nd + 3rd for Brown and White, I would do it, but ONLY if we could immediately flip those assets as part of a bigger package for an NHL player, and honestly, I don't see where we are gonna find that player. If all we get out of White is some ok hockey where he adds to the internal competition for the kids, that's worth more to us at this stage than a 2nd.

That's fair. Not what I expected, but fair.

I figured Ottawa would be willing to move White for near free. I like the guy, and think he could be a good 2nd or 3rd line center. But I don't see an opportunity to do that in Ottawa anymore. Not really anywhere other than maybe with the Coyotes.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
That's fair. Not what I expected, but fair.

I figured Ottawa would be willing to move White for near free. I like the guy, and think he could be a good 2nd or 3rd line center. But I don't see an opportunity to do that in Ottawa anymore. Not really anywhere other than maybe with the Coyotes.

Realistically, Ottawa only has one C spot that is locked up for the year - Norris at 1C. Tierney was healthy scratched last year, White was healthy scratched last year, L. Brown only played 1 game, Pinto played in our rookie tournament.... and that's our C depth!

White should be able to grab the 2C spot, although he will need to really earn it... but he will definitely be in our top 9. He has been up and down with us, but he's a very good possession player, very good forechecker, goes to the dirty areas and is decent defensively. If he can play the style he played in his rookie year and improve faceoffs, he will be a valuable player for any teams top 9. With the risk/reward equation of 850k annually via buyout vs a useful top 9 player, we're at a stage where we have no reason not to roll the dice.

Only way White would be traded, imo, is for a veteran F with similar cap but less term.

Reactions: banks

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Yeah - a lot of Ottawa fans whinge about White being overpaid, but they are below the cap floor ffs. If he's a legitimate NHLer it doesn't matter to the hockey team right now if he's making minimum wage or $16m. It matters to the owner and GM, but it doesn't impact the hockey team in any way at all while they have $15-20m in cap space.

If they are up against the cap in 2 years and he is bumming around on the 4th line making $6m, maybe that's an issue. Right now it's not.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I can see a Logan Brown to AZ trade happening. Doubt it would involve draft picks.
The rights to John Farinacci, Connor Timmins, Christian Fischer are some of the assets that could be available.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Logy Brown. Had high hopes for this guy but he just doesn't have the drive to make it professionally. There are guys with a 1/4 of the talent who have made good names for themselves - on the Sens even. Sad to see really.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I can see a Logan Brown to AZ trade happening. Doubt it would involve draft picks.
The rights to John Farinacci, Connor Timmins, Christian Fischer are some of the assets that could be available.
I really liked Farinacci at the WJC and believe it or not, his sister is Brady Tkachuk's girlfriend. And we know how much Dorion likes the family/friend ties, so I'd say something around Brown and Farinacci is actually a good possibility.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Guess Dorion disagreed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He is no longer 21 for awhile now.

everyone has a waiver eligible prospect looking to make the team

Brown is entering bust territory

I'm not tying to "argue", heck Brown isn't even a Sens prospect anymore but do you realize how many games he has played since?

13 in AHL
1 in NHL

in 3 different stretches (didn't play for 10 months because covid)

Yeah - a lot of Ottawa fans whinge about White being overpaid, but they are below the cap floor ffs. If he's a legitimate NHLer it doesn't matter to the hockey team right now if he's making minimum wage or $16m. It matters to the owner and GM, but it doesn't impact the hockey team in any way at all while they have $15-20m in cap space.

Understatement. I always see these trade proposals, buyouts, etc... but why would Ottawa get rid of Chabot's best friend and very well liked guy by everybody as they are still UNDER the cap floor a few days before the start of the season? He's a pretty decent 3rd liner, he should be paid around 3.5 instead but overpaying ~1.25 by season is hardly crippling.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The real question is if/when the Blues send Brown through waivers to Springfield, does another team claim him? Can't see him having a spot on the 23 man roster at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad