Confirmed with Link: [OTT/DAL] Gonchar to Dallas Stars for a Cond. 6th Round Pick in 2013

TheOriginalSilf*

Does this mean we will go

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Phillips
Wiercioch-Gryba
Benoit

Will Benoit be the only guy to play in case of injury/scratch or will they bring in someone else?

I have a feeling that we should expect Murray to bring in another defenseman.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Phillips
Wiercioch-Gryba
Benoit

Will Benoit be the only guy to play in case of injury/scratch or will they bring in someone else?

If Murray doesn't try and get a top-four D, I assume:

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gryba
Phillips-Wiercioch
Borowiecki/Benoit

Wiercioch has to start learning how to play LD if we don't get another defenseman. He's the only one that can potentially do it, maybe Benoit too.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Meh, considering the garbage UFA class, I would have liked to see Gonchar back, but it's far from the end of the world that he's gone.

Possibly looking at bringing in a guy via trade?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Obscurity in Dallas on another rebuilding team or winding down a long, productive career playing in the K in the country of your birth in front of your adoring countrymen. Gonchar has nothing more to prove in NA, IMO. This decision would be easy if I were in his shoes...but I'm not in his shoes.

Some milestones are coming up; with 25 pts he hits 800, can move up to the 6th highest scoring Russian all time(though datsyuk will pass him), an d hit 1200 games played next season.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Karlsson-Methot
Cowen-Phillips
Wiercioch-Gryba
Benoit

Phillips doesn't play the right side. I initially thought this was a move to open up a full time spot for Wiercioch, but he plays the left side.

I know Boro plays the right side and he would make a solid bottom pairing guy. I just hope this isn't for Ceci, he needs AHL time.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Phillips - Boro/Benoit

Gryba is a bottom pairing guy though, he makes me nervous in the top 4.

:dunno:

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I got the feeling Gonch was gone during the Murray presser. I'm ok with rolling with what we've got next season. I think Weir and Gryba have earned spots and Benoit is a very nice option at the 7 slot.

Methot-EK
Cowen-Gryba
Phillips-Wier
Benoit

If we manage to make a splash somewhere along the way and are in a "win it for Alfie" situation, and Alfie is actually here for us to try and win it for, then sure you try to get someone. But I'm ok with what we have and seeing how it goes until the New Year and then re-evaluating from there.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I think they may try Wier RD for a spell tbh. He has a nifty shot and he gets it through better than most Sens D-men - might be a nice place for him there if he can make it work.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Where did that come from, and I assume he wouldnt have an issue with that as there is nothing to lose by waiving NMC.

Someone posted tweets in the thread on the trade board.

there was no point if he didn't have interest.

Last edited:

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
We probably just didn't want to give him the term he wanted, which is perfectly fine with me. I just don't think we can go 2 years without improving that position.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Meh, considering the garbage UFA class, I would have liked to see Gonchar back, but it's far from the end of the world that he's gone.

Possibly looking at bringing in a guy via trade?

Pretty much this. Not a fan of losing Gonchar unless Murray has something up his sleeve. People underrate badly what he brings.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Pretty much this. Not a fan of losing Gonchar unless Murray has something up his sleeve. People underrate badly what he brings.

agreed he was basically a top pairing defenseman at age 39. we just had one of the best offensive defensemen ever in the game get traded :( good luck Gonchar where you go.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm excited what this means for our cap space. We need to bring in at least one big piece. There's no point in getting any small fish. I see a youngish middling star player in our immediate future.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Floodgates.

Not even joking. Murray's got something up his sleeve - I can feel it.

i feel the same way and have been since i really looked at our depth. there's so many quality guys knocking at the door it's unreal.

source

Jul 13, 2008
top 4: FA, Karlsson, Methot, Cowen (hope he can handle it)
bottom 2: the best of Phillips, Benoit, Gryba, and Wiercioch

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
top 4: FA, Karlsson, Methot, Cowen (hope he can handle it)
bottom 2: the best of Phillips, Benoit, Gryba, and Wiercioch

That's the nice thing about having Phillips on the roster. If Cowen falters in a top-4 role, Phillips is an acceptable fill-in ("Phill"-in). Maybe not the most ideal guy, but he clearly can handle increased minutes.

source

Jul 13, 2008
That's the nice thing about having Phillips on the roster. If Cowen falters in a top-4 role, Phillips is an acceptable fill-in ("Phill"-in). Maybe not the most ideal guy, but he clearly can handle increased minutes.

Agreed, and it also signals a need for a top 4 guy as opposed to another Lundin. If we could get a Methot-caliber guy I'd be happy.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
gonchar wanted two years and the same money. Murray wanted 1 year and a discount. That's why he was gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad