PTO: [OTT] D Calen Addison signs PTO with the Senators

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Decent running a PP, 3rd pairing at best otherwise. You would think that he would be better with a breakout pass considering how good he is on the O zone with the puck, but he just isn't wired to play in the D zone. I guess the hope would be that he learns to at least be mediocre defensively, in which case he could help a team needing PP help.

He's passive, and hesitant defensively. His smaller size doesn't help him win board battles, either. In the AHL he was feisty on occasion, and would drop the gloves, but he hasn't been able to bring that game with him into the NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The only way Addison has any utility is if he's running a team's PP1, but that seems unlikely in Ottawa as surely Sanderson/Chabot will take those minutes.

Awful ES player. And it's not even like he generates any ES offense to make up for his defensive play.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
The only way Addison has any utility is if he's running a team's PP1, but that seems unlikely in Ottawa as surely Sanderson/Chabot will take those minutes.

Awful ES player. And it's not even like he generates any ES offense to make up for his defensive play.
He got taken off of the Sharks powerplay in favor of a mix 5th forwards, some of whom will not be in the NHL next year.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Could he play as a winger if he sucks so bad defensively? Likely hoping to land a North American job before he makes the jump to Switzerland.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I like the idea in theory but he's a righty and the Sens already have JBD and Hamonic for that role.

Seems like a bad fit tbh.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Decent running a PP, 3rd pairing at best otherwise. You would think that he would be better with a breakout pass considering how good he is on the O zone with the puck, but he just isn't wired to play in the D zone. I guess the hope would be that he learns to at least be mediocre defensively, in which case he could help a team needing PP help.

He's passive, and hesitant defensively. His smaller size doesn't help him win board battles, either. In the AHL he was feisty on occasion, and would drop the gloves, but he hasn't been able to bring that game with him into the NHL.

We replaced Brannstrom with Brannstrom.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
He's basically a decent PP option on a basement dweller. Don't see the Sens signing him during or after camp.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Addison looked assured with the puck in the O zone, especially on the PP, and consistently made good decisions. That's not nothing. Since he was young, it was thought that he could improve his defensive game somewhat, and become a PP/3rd RHD(which are always in demand). As things progressed in MN, there were mutterings that Addison wasn't improving, or taking coaching well. I mean, he had Jared Spurgeon, a tiny but superb two way RHD on the same team to learn from, but his game didn't seem to change.

If he could improve on his puck retrievals at ES then he could be good on breakouts. The guy knows how to pass. He just seems weirdly passive in the D zone. He's not like a Klingberg, who can do all sorts of stuff athletically, but makes all sorts of weird decisions leading to mistakes. Addison just sort of disappears. I wonder if it's partly a confidence issue at this point.

People on here are reveling on shitting on him(because it's easy), w/o acknowledging that he does some things significantly better than most Dmen in the league. That's got to be worth giving him another chance, though why the hell it would be OTT is beyond me. I guess he and Kleven could be a Yin/Yang pair together at some time in the future?

Reactions: bert

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Hamonic, JBD, and Addison will battle it out for the 3-RD positon I guess. One will end up being a 7D (my guess is Hamonic), and the other likely let go on sent to the AHL (my guess is Addison).

It very much looks like Kleven is going to slot in to the 3-LD position, but there's basically no LD after him. If When Chabot gets injured, it's really thin on that side. I would have preferred to give a PTO to a lefty for that reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad