Other than salaries, what needs to change to make hockey popular again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
I've thought about this a lot lately. The obvious answers are to lower ticket prices, change some of the rules back, and continue to try to get American children to learn and play the game at a young age, because that is what truly builds a knowledgeable and passionate fan-base. Luck and timing helps, too.

From the American perspective, NHL hockey might have been at a pop-culture peak in the mid-90's when the Rangers won the cup. Most people cite that.

But, here's something I thought of that is not as cited:

Wayne's World (1992) (Spoon-fed the NHL the catch phrase "Game On")
Clerks (1994)
Swingers (1996)

Each movie was popular and "cool" in American pop culture when they were released and each had a positive hockey-related scene in it. When I was at Indiana University in the early-mid 90's, hockey was all the rage in my dorm, and no one was from a hockey hotbed. When you have six 18-20 year old guys from Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Southern Illinois saying "game on" and playing broom hockey with a box goal in a dorm hallway and parking lot at a school in rural Indiana, then retiring to the sega for some NHL, then you have marketing gold. Not one person in the group had ever been to an NHL game.

I'm not saying that someone needs to go out and make a movie with a good hockey scene in it, but sometimes what can make something popular or cool might not be what the NHL powers that be think.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't forget Chasing Amy. Jason Lee was playing NHL 95 and mentions the Whalers by name.

Joey Lauren Adams was also wearing a Maple Leafs Jersey (Potvin :o)

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
vopatsrash said:
I've thought about this a lot lately. The obvious answers are to lower ticket prices, change some of the rules back, and continue to try to get American children to learn and play the game at a young age, because that is what truly builds a knowledgeable and passionate fan-base. Luck and timing helps, too.

From the American perspective, NHL hockey might have been at a pop-culture peak in the mid-90's when the Rangers won the cup. Most people cite that.

But, here's something I thought of that is not as cited:

Wayne's World (1992) (Spoon-fed the NHL the catch phrase "Game On")
Clerks (1994)
Swingers (1996)

Each movie was popular and "cool" in American pop culture when they were released and each had a positive hockey-related scene in it. When I was at Indiana University in the early-mid 90's, hockey was all the rage in my dorm, and no one was from a hockey hotbed. When you have six 18-20 year old guys from Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Southern Illinois saying "game on" and playing broom hockey with a box goal in a dorm hallway and parking lot at a school in rural Indiana, then retiring to the sega for some NHL, then you have marketing gold. Not one person in the group had ever been to an NHL game.

I'm not saying that someone needs to go out and make a movie with a good hockey scene in it, but sometimes what can make something popular or cool might not be what the NHL powers that be think.
Mike Meyers made hockey popular, what with wearing NHL team sweatshirts on SNL and Wayne's World.

Now he makes crappy movies like "The Cat in the Hat" with no hockey references.

Good job Mike, you killed hockey.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
first off follow through last rule enforcement on obstruction had over 20 GMs whining to the NHL office because thier coaches were having kittens about the open play and all of the power plays.

instead of saving $300 million to survive a lockout have the ownership INVEST it into the game by marketing. I mean go out and hire the most savy marking group out there, if people will watch yahoos eating bugs people will watch hockey. There is grass roots fandom, tradition and estabished history to build on. This isn't X-games or Arena football, there are Arenas around even the southern US packed to watch the game. A large scale marketing effort has to rise above the noise of the hockey hating US Media. Think about it was does the average ( IE Casual fan ) hear about hockey in the rare times its mentioned. That it sucks, that no one watches, that is barbaric Blah Blah Blah. Sure the ratings are awful but how much of it is a self fulfilling outcome of hearing the product sucks.

Finaly the NHL should put a huge investment to the playing surface itself. Games in Calgary and Edmonton just look different because the Ice is so darn good. Don't tell me it can be enginered, plenty of $$ thrown into a research project could produce a better form of ice that can withstand warm climates, building uses and lousy thought out Arena designs ( of which the SJ Arena has all three ).

Ogie Ogilthorpe

Feb 9, 2004
I am where I'm at!!!
Apperently they are making a new NHL logo.. I heard on ESPN last night, I was only passing by, and didn't hear the entire thing, but they were discussing weather the logo would be unveiled this season (assuming one happens) or next. They also said something about using the AHL rules that have been implimented this year
I think the changes should be

Tag up off-sides
smaller goalie pads
goalies should not be allowed to play the puck behind the net
(not a rule but..) the goalies should be treated as a regular player when out of the crease if the goalies remain able to tplay the puck behind the net.
lose the 2 ref system. its more fun when the ref misses things lol
More home and home series
Also, this will never happen, but I want the Campbell and Wales conferences back
I like having the Adams , THe Patrick, the Smythe, and the Norris..divisions
It shows respect for th game IMO..

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Ogie Ogilthorpe said:
Apperently they are making a new NHL logo.. I heard on ESPN last night, I was only passing by, and didn't hear the entire thing, but they were discussing weather the logo would be unveiled this season (assuming one happens) or next. They also said something about using the AHL rules that have been implimented this year.

Yep sounds like the its part of a "NHL relaunch" that has been in the works for aq while. I'm sure its going to look goofy and take yet another tradition away but really I thought the same thing when they changed the Division and conferance names, though I still miss that part of the NHL I live with the new generic regional names.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
1. Reduce the size of the goalie equipment. With the balloon equipment of today, if a goalie squares up, it's almost impossible to score on anything other than a deflection or rebound.
2. Adopt the restrictions on the goalie handling the puck, that are being tested in the ahl now. With every goalie in the league stopping the puck behind the net, it really slows the game down and takes away from the flow.
3. Expanding the ice surface is not a viable option, so the next best option is to
adopt the proposed idea of expanding the blue/red lines, in order to increase the amount of ice available for offensive play, resulting in less face-offs, and more scoring chances.
4. Make Power Plays more effective. Everyone knows the game needs to have more scoring chances and goals scored. Quickest way to make that happen is to improve the powerplays. The pk teams have become so good that we see constant instances of power plays consisting of nothing but the offensive team having to go back into their end time and time again until the pp is over. Best way to accomplish that is to take away the right of the pk team to ice the puck. That will make every pp exciting, and increase scoring chances and goals scored. Also, consider going back to the old days, and make the penalized player serve the full penalty, regardless of the number of goals scored.
5. Once and for all - call the clutching, grabbing and hooking. You cannot have a fan friendly game with all this garbage going on.
6. Either go back to one ref - or - pair a young ref with a senior ref, and keep them together thru the season, so that you get some continuity in the officiating. Each ref should have their own basic responsibilities, with the option of calling anything else when it is blatant.
7. Get rid of the instigator rule. There is no doubt in my mind that the nhl was a more exciting game before the implementation of the instigator rule.
Elimination of the instigator rule, is the quickest way I know of to curtail the ridiculous amount of stick work in todays game. The "pests" that every team now has, will be forced to clean up their game. Instead of doing their dirty work and getting away with it - they will be forced to be accountable "on the ice" and after a few poundings, most of them will become good citizens.
NHL hockey, like Major League Baseball, is a game full of traditions - traditions that should be honored - not hidden in a closet. Being accountable on the ice for your actions has always been a part of the sport, and is a part of what makes the game unique and exciting.
8. No-touch icing. Not only would it speed up the game a bit, but the extremely few instances of an offensive player being able to beat out an icing call, are so rare that it just isn't worth getting players injured on a "nothing" play.

Ogie Ogilthorpe

Feb 9, 2004
I am where I'm at!!!
rekrul said:
Finaly the NHL should put a huge investment to the playing surface itself. Games in Calgary and Edmonton just look different because the Ice is so darn good. Don't tell me it can be enginered, plenty of $$ thrown into a research project could produce a better form of ice that can withstand warm climates, building uses and lousy thought out Arena designs ( of which the SJ Arena has all three ).

I think the biggest problems with the Ice in Cities like New York (which is known for having the worst surface) is that there are so many events going on it the arena. New York makes and remakes the Ice so many times a year that iti is impossible to get a consistant slab of ice on there...

I agree though, there is nothing worse than watching a nice two on one, and watching a perfect pass slide across only to watch it bounce over a stick because th e ic sucks

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Ogie Ogilthorpe said:
goalies should not be allowed to play the puck behind the net
I disagree with this one.
Why should goalies be resricted?
If the other team is just dumping the puck in, giving the goalie the opportunity to handle the puck behind the net, then they should suffer the consequences.
If a team uses skill over dump and chase, the opponents goalie won't have an opportunity to play the puck.

Old Hickory

ScottyBowman said:
Hockey was never popular.
Not true

otherjpg.cgi

Before lock out 1 hockey was primed to take Basketball's place as the number 3 sport.

Even Sports Illustrated recorgnized it.

Ogie Ogilthorpe

Feb 9, 2004
I am where I'm at!!!
getnziggywidit said:
If the other team is just dumping the puck in, giving the goalie the opportunity to handle the puck behind the net, then they should suffer the consequences.
If a team uses skill over dump and chase, the opponents goalie won't have an opportunity to play the puck.

I only say that becuasue it keeps the puck moving, and would probably increase body checking.. I agree that they should be able to stop it, and play it back there, but I am sick of every time a goalie gets touched, a penalty is called. THey have more pads on than anyone in SPORTS< let alone just hockey, they should be hit if they want to handle the puck. If they can be hit, maybe some will think twice about handling it, and secondly, putting pressure on a goalie, could make him make a bad badd, or clear, and possibly create more offense..

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
getnziggywidit said:
Red line for icing only.
No more two-line offsides.

Return the offsides touch-up.

Goalie equipment-size reduction.

Eliminate instigator rule.

The instigator rule has been around nearly 30 years. It has nothing to do with the quality of the on ice product. They had the instigator through the late 70s and 80s. I think the last thing the NHL needs to worry about is encouraging goons to be able to jump other players without any additional penalties.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Ogie Ogilthorpe said:
I only say that becuasue it keeps the puck moving, and would probably increase body checking.. I agree that they should be able to stop it, and play it back there, but I am sick of every time a goalie gets touched, a penalty is called. THey have more pads on than anyone in SPORTS< let alone just hockey, they should be hit if they want to handle the puck. If they can be hit, maybe some will think twice about handling it, and secondly, putting pressure on a goalie, could make him make a bad badd, or clear, and possibly create more offense..
I agree that if the goalie has possesion of the puck, he should be fair game.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
ScottyBowman said:
Well most of us consider the glory years during the 80's but it wasn't very popular during that era. The attendance wasn't so great and they didn't even have a national tv contract. Hockey was at its most popular stage during the trap era in the mid 90's.

You mean Hockey was at its most popular during the period that Wayne Gretzky played for the two major US markets.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
getnziggywidit said:
Ok, then only offer the goal "protection" in the crease. You can come out and play the puck like a defenseman, but Jordin Tootoo can cream you like a defenseman too.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Make the net bigger. Players cant even get a clear shot through to the net anymore.

Old Hickory

ScottyBowman said:
Well most of us consider the glory years during the 80's but it wasn't very popular during that era. The attendance wasn't so great and they didn't even have a national tv contract. Hockey was at its most popular stage during the trap era in the mid 90's.
Not true again. Hockey was at it's most popular point from 92-94. The last lockout killed it.
They had a national Tv contract with ABC. The fox deal was born out of the NHL's popularity from 92-94

As far as the attendace goes. The figures are skewed. During the mid 90's almost every team got a new building that held thousands more people.

bhawk24bob

Jan 25, 2005
Bruwinz37 said:
Here is my list:

Re-Develop rivalries-more in division games, go back to the old divisional playoff format.

Scale back goalie equipment

Hammer down on officials and have them call penalties no matter when they occur

Go back to one on ice ref

tag up offsides

no touch icing

Wood sticks only.....I HATE seeing so many busted sticks, it results in a lot of missed scoring attempts.

All easy fixes. The NHL should not go out of their way to make crazy changes. Rivalries are the big things. There are a lot fewer today than back in the 80s early 90s. Too many nights there are too many games where they go through the motions. Bring back some hate.

i like all of your ideas a lot. the only one that i would add would be to decrease the size of the rink back to the size of boston gardens, chicago stadium, and montreal forum.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
rekrul said:
first off follow through last rule enforcement on obstruction had over 20 GMs whining to the NHL office because thier coaches were having kittens about the open play and all of the power plays.

instead of saving $300 million to survive a lockout have the ownership INVEST it into the game by marketing. I mean go out and hire the most savy marking group out there, if people will watch yahoos eating bugs people will watch hockey. There is grass roots fandom, tradition and estabished history to build on. This isn't X-games or Arena football, there are Arenas around even the southern US packed to watch the game. A large scale marketing effort has to rise above the noise of the hockey hating US Media. Think about it was does the average ( IE Casual fan ) hear about hockey in the rare times its mentioned. That it sucks, that no one watches, that is barbaric Blah Blah Blah. Sure the ratings are awful but how much of it is a self fulfilling outcome of hearing the product sucks.

-Marketing, I think Bettamn has exactly this is mind, I believe it was a thread a few months back.

-Every arena should have bans on Stomping Tom Connors.

-Reduce the benchable players limit by 1. Hey, they use to play 30-35 minutes a game in the 70s, and the star do it in junior...stars play more, one less goon.

-Want to hear the player comments during game, put a mic on a coach or players if possible.

Last edited:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
bhawk24bob said:
i like all of your ideas a lot. the only one that i would add would be to decrease the size of the rink back to the size of boston gardens, chicago stadium, and montreal forum.

I am afraid the players have outgrown that. I have watched a lot of retro games on NESN this winter and it amazes me how much smaller the players (and pads) look. I would prefer having a *slightly* bigger ice surface. If the game ever wants to be viable we have to let the premier players show their stuff nightly.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Bruwinz37 said:
The instigator rule has been around nearly 30 years. It has nothing to do with the quality of the on ice product. They had the instigator through the late 70s and 80s. I think the last thing the NHL needs to worry about is encouraging goons to be able to jump other players without any additional penalties.

Actually, as I remember it, prior to the instigator rule - it allowed the players on the ice at the time, to settle matters without having to wait for a "goon" to handle it.
Even when a "goon" was needed to administer justice - it could usually be done without his team having to take a hit because of an extra penalty.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
kingsjohn said:
Not true again. Hockey was at it's most popular point from 92-94. The last lockout killed it.
They had a national Tv contract with ABC. The fox deal was born out of the NHL's popularity from 92-94

As far as the attendace goes. The figures are skewed. During the mid 90's almost every team got a new building that held thousands more people.

It was a lot more than the lockout that killed it. You are right, the game was great in the early 90s. It was becoming more of a cult sport with a great fan base. I think they changed far too much of what people liked. The out of conference games produced too many snoozers, too much expansion too fast and poor officiating (probably resulting from even more expansion) really hurt the momentum.

The game needs its history back. It needs to go back to having real rivalries. Many nights when I watch Center Ice I can understand why no new fans are attracted to the sport.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
1. Rules to discourage all of the holding, or enforcing what there is on the books now to open the game up. People want to see speed and scoring, beautiful moves, etc. in any sport, hockey is perfect for those things.

2. Equal playing field, again not mutually exclusive to hockey. The trouble is not in filling arenas or stadiums in places like NY with a population of many multiples of millions more than even midsized locations but in growing the sport where the potential for growth is greatest, the less than huge markets. That entails among other things making sure that every city feels that they have a chance to compete. Again, that is the same in every sport, but if the owenrs get most of their way it should not be a problem in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad