OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies etc…Part VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
No reason to talk about the Rockies.

Nuggets went out of their way to gut their guard depth for some reason. Should still be a top 4 team in the West but Booth should be on the hotseat for those terrible Nnaji, Pickett, and Tyson contracts.

Broncos need a new GM, head coach, DC, OC, and yes, QB. Nix isn't going to learn NFL arm talent. You either have it or you don't and he don't.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
No reason to talk about the Rockies.

Nuggets went out of their way to gut their guard depth for some reason. Should still be a top 4 team in the West but Booth should be on the hotseat for those terrible Nnaji, Pickett, and Tyson contracts.

Broncos need a new GM, head coach, DC, OC, and yes, QB. Nix isn't going to learn NFL arm talent. You either have it or you don't and he don't.
Ah Phil Rivers did ok and Nix has the advantage of not being a *&%$ *&## @&^%.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Watched Nix play for Oregon against my UW Huskies and kid may have lost the last 3 matches but he was a constant threat. In the right scheme I think he can do it in the NFL. Can't have him as a pocket passer, let him create. Think prime Russell Wilson without the deep ball.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Watched Nix play for Oregon against my UW Huskies and kid may have lost the last 3 matches but he was a constant threat. In the right scheme I think he can do it in the NFL. Can't have him as a pocket passer, let him create. Think prime Russell Wilson without the deep ball.
Exactly. He needs to have a couple designed runs too, just the threat of him running should help the backs get some space without being overpursued.

The key to the UO offense was they used every inch of the width of the field. The Broncos on the All 11 tape look way too narrow and nowhere close to deep enough. Payton should be sharp enough to scheme up 1 on 1 coverage deep for Sutton or Mims, just have either run that pattern and throw it in their direction. Doesn't have to hit them in stride, just has to create enough of a threat so safeties stop focusing all their attention on stopping the run or the underneath routes.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Rivers has a much, much better arm than Nix.

Once again
2/12 with 2 INT on passes that traveled 10 or more air yards

Hell, it wasn't better at half that distance:
7/22 with 2 INT on passes that traveled 5 or more air yards

Stop bringing up Hall of Famers to compare to this kid. Nix's arm makes Kyle Orton's look like Brett Favre's.

Anyway, today's injury report is bad
Audric Estime - moved to IR with an ankle injury, will miss a minimum of 4 games
Josh Reynolds - did not practice today, questionable for Sunday
Devaughn Vele - did not practice today, questionable for Sunday
Garrett Bolles - did not practice today, questionable for Sunday

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Rivers has a much, much better arm than Nix.

Once again
2/12 with 2 INT on passes that traveled 10 or more air yards

Hell, it wasn't better at half that distance:
7/22 with 2 INT on passes that traveled 5 or more air yards

Stop bringing up Hall of Famers to compare to this kid. Nix's arm makes Kyle Orton's look like Brett Favre's.

Anyway, today's injury report is bad
Audric Estime - moved to IR with an ankle injury, will miss a minimum of 4 games
Josh Reynolds - did not practice today, questionable for Sunday
Devaughn Vele - did not practice today, questionable for Sunday
Garrett Bolles - did not practice today, questionable for Sunday

cmon man it was game one of kid's career......If you judged every QB off their very first game in the NFL, you'd have a dog #*$@ list of quarterbacks considered 'great'

Reactions: katfude

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Fine. Matt Ryan had an ok career.
Matt Ryan is over 2 inches taller and he had a much, much better arm. It wasn't until he was ancient and injured with the Colts that his arm started to fade to current Bo Nix levels.

Why do you just keep naming random quarterbacks? None of the people you brought up are an apt comparison to Nix.

And the overwhelming majority of guys who display a lack of NFL arm talent end up failing out of the league. Even if you manage to find a guy with similar arm and size deficiencies as Nix who did manage to carve out a good career, the odds are still stacked firmly against Nix.

That's why quarterbacks who suck at literally everything else but have great arm talent still get drafted high. Because you can teach a guy to read a defense, guys can mature over time, guys can learn new mechanics and technique with enough discipline. But you can't teach natural talent.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Matt Ryan is over 2 inches taller and he had a much, much better arm. It wasn't until he was ancient and injured with the Colts that his arm started to fade to current Bo Nix levels.
Now you are moving the goalposts here.
Why do you just keep naming random quarterbacks?

I specifically mentioned QBs who had a rep for having a week arm. Billy Joe Tolliver, that's a random QB. Vince Ferragamo, random! Steve Tensi, out of the blue!

Reactions: dahrougem2

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Now you are moving the goalposts here.

I specifically mentioned QBs who had a rep for having a week arm. Billy Joe Tolliver, that's a random QB. Vince Ferragamo, random! Steve Tensi, out of the blue!
Matt Ryan didn't have a weak arm. At all. Bo Nix has a horrible arm, which is the literal reason 5 QBs were drafted ahead of him and the reason he's a 24 year old rookie. Payton pretended like he tricked everyone into letting Nix fall to him but in reality we're the only team dumb enough to want him.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
We have years worth of college tape, a whole preseason and training camp, and 1 regular season game that show his arm is subpar. I don't need to see a bleacher report fan description of his pro day in his underwear. I need to see him delivering passes down field with velocity and timing while wearing full pads and with a defense actively trying to stop him. And I need to see him do that consistently over an extended period of time. If he had displayed that ability in college he'd have been drafted long before we had the chance to get him.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
We have years worth of college tape, a whole preseason and training camp, and 1 regular season game that show his arm is subpar. I don't need to see a bleacher report fan description of his pro day in his underwear. I need to see him delivering passes down field with velocity and timing while wearing full pads and with a defense actively trying to stop him. And I need to see him do that consistently over an extended period of time. If he had displayed that ability in college he'd have been drafted long before we had the chance to get him.
If these are the things you need, why are you constantly trashing the kid after his first NFL game? Where no QB ever does good. The vendetta here is obvious.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
If these are the things you need, why are you constantly trashing the kid after his first NFL game? Where no QB ever does good. The vendetta here is obvious.
Because, for the 20th time, arm strength doesn't improve with experience.

Every smart NFL scout flagged his arm strength as the biggest concern about him. That was the most consistent issue in his college game, it was his most consistent issue all training camp long, and in his first game he literally went 7/22 with 2 INT on passes that traveled 5 air yards and 2/12 on passes that traveled 10 air yards.

Every single person who said not to draft Bo Nix said so because of what he displayed on Sunday. Sunday's result was the expected result for a guy without NFL arm talent.

Rookie mistakes happen to everyone and those improve over time but the issue on Sunday was PHYSICAL ABILITY.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Because, for the 20th time, arm strength doesn't improve with experience.

Every smart NFL scout flagged his arm strength as the biggest concern about him. That was the most consistent issue in his college game, it was his most consistent issue all training camp long, and in his first game he literally went 7/22 with 2 INT on passes that traveled 5 air yards and 2/12 on passes that traveled 10 air yards.

Every single person who said not to draft Bo Nix said so because of what he displayed on Sunday. Sunday's result was the expected result for a guy without NFL arm talent.

Rookie mistakes happen to everyone and those improve over time but the issue on Sunday was PHYSICAL ABILITY.
The fact that you're jumping to this conclusion after his first NFL game is crazy. Everyone that watched the game knows his biggest issue wasn't arm strength, it was locking on to one player. Something he wasn't doing in preseason. It's almost like he was nervous for some reason...... I wonder WHY?

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
The fact that you're jumping to this conclusion after his first NFL game is crazy. Everyone that watched the game knows his biggest issue wasn't arm strength, it was locking on to one player. Something he wasn't doing in preseason. It's almost like he was nervous for some reason...... I wonder WHY?
This was my conclusion after watching all the tape I could find of him before we even drafted him. And every scouting report mentions his poor arm.

He didn't face a single starting player on defense in the entire preseason, let alone an entire starting unit running their actual gameplans against him. And his noodle arm still showed up at times.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Oregon's offense was built around the short passing game but for what it's worth Nix was great at throwing the ball deep whenever he was asked. He didn't do it as often as others but when he actually was allowed to air it out his numbers were great. I actually think he was tied with Daniels for the best rating in "throws past the sticks". He led in the 10-19 yard range. He scored good on the velocity test at the combine as well.

You don't just magically lose that arm strength. He's not Mahomes or Allen. He's got an average arm. He was a 1st round caliber prospect and after Williams/Daniels/Maye it was all personal preference when it came to J.J/Penix/Nix. Odds are he'll likely fail but Nix was a 1st round prospect and it's been 1 game.

Throwing into triple coverage and locking onto your WR every play was far more concerning. For all the talk about Nix being a great decision maker and processor it was all awful week 1.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
It's not lost on me that defense looks better without Shilo (and his idiotic penalties) out there.

Reactions: katfude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad