OT: Other Sports 82

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BRayne

May 5, 2011
Apparently there's a baseball diamond being built in the 78 property area. Which I imagine could either signal some sort of announcement of construction with private funds or be a sign of another attempt to weasel some public funds in the wake of the DNC. Probably the later knowing Reinsdorf.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Apparently there's a baseball diamond being built in the 78 property area. Which I imagine could either signal some sort of announcement of construction with private funds or be a sign of another attempt to weasel some public funds in the wake of the DNC. Probably the later knowing Reinsdorf.

Ah trying the old

"If you build it, they will hand you billions of $" strategy

Jim Thompson's ghost will appear with the $

Then he and Jerry will play catch

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It really can't be understated how disasterously run the White Sox have been for the past hundred plus years. Yes, the Cubs had a longer drought, but the Cubs have actually had postseason success scattered during that time frame.

If 2005 magically didn't exist, you'd have to go back to 1917 for their last postseason series win. That's insane even recognizing that the playoffs weren't expanded until 1969 and 1994 respectively, so the entirety of the Reinsdorf era.

An outlier fluke year is all that separates Reinsdorf from being pretty objectively the worst owner that didn't do something heinously awful or relocated (yet).

I've said this a million times, but both Chicago teams should absolutely be perennial contenders. They're in divisions against exclusively small- to mid-market teams with the exception of St. Louis due to their widespread footprint, the fact that either team isn't winning at least half of their respective division titles in any decade given the bonuses that should stem from being a big market in a sea of smaller markets is an indictment on the ineptitude on both sides of town for most of history.

Reactions: Crow and Pez68

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It really can't be understated how disasterously run the White Sox have been for the past hundred plus years. Yes, the Cubs had a longer drought, but the Cubs have actually had postseason success scattered during that time frame.

If 2005 magically didn't exist, you'd have to go back to 1917 for their last postseason series win.
That's insane even recognizing that the playoffs weren't expanded until 1969 and 1994 respectively, so the entirety of the Reinsdorf era.
LOL, postseason series wins don't mean anything, but the Cubs won one between 1908 and 2015.

Postseason success? Cubs won 3 pennants in the 30s, cool. 2 of them with 90 & 89 wins, they got swept in the series both times. Sox had 3 series in the 60s with 94+ win, zero pennants because they had the Yankees to compete with.

The Cubs have also had one winning decade since the 30s.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Cubs won postseason series in 2003, 2015, and 2017 in addition to the World Series run. Not a lot of hang one's hat on, for sure, but still more then the Sox.

And my post then proceeded to say that both teams have massively underachieved. I wasn't pumping the Cubs tires, I was saying that even the Cubs had a better record of postseason success, which is a pretty low bar.

And postseason series wins absolutely mean something. It means that a team actually has some semblance of postseason success versus maxing out at occassional appearances.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Cubs won postseason series in 2003, 2015, and 2017 in addition to the World Series run.
Like I said, 1 between 1908-2014.

And postseason series wins absolutely mean something. It means that a team actually has some semblance of postseason success versus maxing out at occassional appearances.
Winning a division series means nothing. All it means is you lost the pennant later on.

And now there's an extra round of irrelevance added. You think winning a Wild Card round is better than winning the division and skipping it? It's not.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Winning a division series means nothing. All it means is you lost the pennant later on.

And now there's an extra round of irrelevance added. You think winning a Wild Card round is better than winning the division and skipping it? It's not.
Lol, the clock didn’t stop in 2014.

Yes, most fans like when their team makes the playoffs, even if they don’t win it all.

Those second place finishes in the early 60s are super impressive. And the Yankees were a 70 win team after 1964 for the rest of the decade.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

I feel like you're missing the point, again. Me saying that even the Cubs have had more success than the Sox isn't praising the Cubs, it's highlighting the failure of both teams with admittedly more of an emphasis on the Sox shortcomings, given a) the previous post to my original one being about Reinsdorf being a lousy owner, and b) the horrendous nature of the 2024 Sox in particular.

Saying that the Cubs have had more postseason success is like saying that one kindergartener is taller than another. That's not saying one is tall as a result, they're both short as hell compared to big kids.

And yes, the playoffs have been expanded again, but considering that neither team has done anything since that's happened it's not like one team is postseason statpadding over the other as of late.

And you say it doesn't matter, but really? Having any postseason success doesn't matter? That's nonsensical, postseason memories and success are where fan enjoyment really comes from. Fans like rooting for deeper runs than shorter runs, after all.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Both organizations have been disappointing. No need for the "my dad can beat up your dad" arguments with 2 franchises who combined in the last 100+ years have less championships than quite a few expansion teams. And both teams are 2 of the oldest in Major League Baseball. 2 f***ing championships combined.. in 100+ years.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Both organizations have been disappointing. No need for the "my dad can beat up your dad" arguments with 2 franchises who combined in the last 100+ years have less championships than quite a few expansion teams. And both teams are 2 of the oldest in Major League Baseball. 2 f***ing championships combined.. in 100+ years.

Who was praising either? I even literally said that they're both essentially kindergarteners compared to big kids. Saying that the Sox have been so bad that even the Cubs have been better isn't praising one, it's disparaging both and just one more than the other, especially in connection to Reinsdorf's era.

Both teams should have four or five championships apiece at least in the past century if even moderately competently-run.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The whole "my team isn't as pathetic as yours!' argument seems like a colossal waste of energy. Energy that neither team is worth spending on... Just stop.

If someone said that they'd rather be kicked in the shin than kicked in the nuts, does that mean they like being kicked in the shin? Of course not, they both hurt like heck.

Same goes for the Cubs and Sox historically. Saying that the Sox have had a worse postseason track record isn't anything more than that. It's not praise or bragging, both teams mostly stink.

It's like if someone said that Columbus has had less postseason success than the Yotes. That's not patting the ex-Yotes on the back.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
One point in favor of Jerry

If Jerry and Eddie don't buy team it's unlikely, they remain in Chicago

DeBartolo attempt to purchase team from Veeck was blocked and its widely regarded his claim to desire to keep team in Chicago was ploy and that he planned to move team to New Orleans as he tried to do with A's

AL Owners blocked purchase for that and other reasons (DeBartolo's family ownership of racetracks, etc).

Sox had survived the Selig attempt to buy and relocate team to Milwaukee in late 60's

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
100%, it’s just funny for @IU Hawks fan to thump his chest over a couple second-place finishes sixty years ago while the cws are having the worst season of any team in the modern era.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm not thumping anything :laugh:

It's weird as hell that NFS felt the need to make an article about the Sox pathetic-ness a Cubs vs. Sox argument. Why add the Cubs to the discussion at all? Just let the Sox fans discuss our miserable team if you can't go without making it about yourselves.

Last edited:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Not a Sox supporter but I realize that Chicago and baseball in general are better when both Chicago teams are good and competing. Right now that does not seem to be a priority for the Sox. As for Cubs they want to compete/contend but they either do not spend enough or the overspend on non impact players, thus they are stuck in the middle.

Cubs and Sox FO needs to do better.

Last edited:

Hull2Roenick2Kane

Jun 17, 2010
LOL, postseason series wins don't mean anything, but the Cubs won one between 1908 and 2015.

Postseason success? Cubs won 3 pennants in the 30s, cool. 2 of them with 90 & 89 wins, they got swept in the series both times. Sox had 3 series in the 60s with 94+ win, zero pennants because they had the Yankees to compete with.

The Cubs have also had one winning decade since the 30s.

I think both of these are unfair to the Sox and the Cubs as before 1998 there were only 2 teams in the playoffs from either league out of like 15 teams. Still its not great, but it was much harder to win a postseason series before then. Now you can win 1 game and win a postseason series in the MLB.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think both of these are unfair to the Sox and the Cubs as before 1998 there were only 2 teams in the playoffs from either league out of like 15 teams. Still its not great, but it was much harder to win a postseason series before then. Now you can win 1 game and win a postseason series in the MLB.

Before 1995

1994 would have been first year of expanded playoffs

Of course, the strike robbed White Sox fans of ever knowing if that team could have been champion and pushed back debut of MLB expanded playoffs

God damn strike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad