OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
See I just disagree with them being the GOAT franchise.

It's not hard to look good when you play in a trash division. Realistically they're guaranteed a playoff spot at the beginning of the season because 8-8 would be good enough in the AFC East most seasons. With most instances guaranteed a playoff bye because of the easy schedule. And when you have one of the best QBs of the past 20 years on the roster, this is pretty much a lock each year.

So realistically they only have to get up for maybe 2-3 playoff games a year. And to their credit most years they come through. But being able to coast through the regular season, while most other teams have to claw their way through is a big advantage.

Just use this year as an example. KC and San Diego duked it out until the last week of the season. Both finished with 12 wins. While New England coasted to 11 wins, because the closest team was Miami at 7-9. BS the Pats didn't rest some guys during the last 5 weeks, you bet they did, whereas KC didn't have that luxury.

Not to take anything away from them as they do get results in the playoffs. But being in a crap division with a top end QB makes life really simple for them. Not sure they get the same results playing in a better division for the past 15 years. Are they this dominant in the AFC North with Pittsburgh and Baltimore or even the AFC west where Manning played for a few years and San Diego with Rivers was always competitive? Simple fact they've had the luxury of playing in the worst division in football. All I can say is yes they win when it matters but they are far from the GOAT franchise.

Come on, Chet. Of course they're not FAR from the best. What, you're going to name a dozen teams who've had a better decade than NE just did?

I'm not fully buying this division argument. Yes, the non-NE AFC East teams have been generally under .500 for awhile, but part of the reason for that is that they can't beat NE. Also, NE has about the same winning percentage outside their division as they do within it. This article goes through that briefly: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-win-same-rate-vs-rest-nfl-they-do-vs-afc-east (It's a Boston news report, so keep that in mind).

I agree that there's something to be said for having a division locked up by week 13/14, and having to rest players now and again. But I don't think many playoff-bound teams do this that early, because they are A) fighting for that wildcard week off, then B) fighting for home field advantage. If anything, NE could have players take off week 17 or something, but I think this 'resting the players' thing is being overstated in the quoted post.

But in the end, NE is 29-10 in playoff games, where they're playing the best teams in the league. A .750 winning percentage against the league's best, across 17 years? Yeah, that's pretty GOAT-esque, even if you wish to discount the division titles.

Reactions: Ivan13

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Come on, Chet. Of course they're not FAR from the best. What, you're going to name a dozen teams who've had a better decade than NE just did?

I'm not fully buying this division argument. Yes, the non-NE AFC East teams have been generally under .500 for awhile, but part of the reason for that is that they can't beat NE. Also, NE has about the same winning percentage outside their division as they do within it. This article goes through that briefly: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-win-same-rate-vs-rest-nfl-they-do-vs-afc-east (It's a Boston news report, so keep that in mind).

I agree that there's something to be said for having a division locked up by week 13/14, and having to rest players now and again. But I don't think many playoff-bound teams do this that early, because they are A) fighting for that wildcard week off, then B) fighting for home field advantage. If anything, NE could have players take off week 17 or something, but I think this 'resting the players' thing is being overstated in the quoted post.

But in the end, NE is 29-10 in playoff games, where they're playing the best teams in the league. A .750 winning percentage against the league's best, across 17 years? Yeah, that's pretty GOAT-esque, even if you wish to discount the division titles.
To add to that someone on the football board did an analysis per divison by removing the respective division winner from each division and checking how the division did against other divisions and AFC East came 3rd.

“They play in a weak division” is such a lazy argument and shows people are grasping at straws.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
There’s no argument for the Patriots not being arguably the greatest dynasty in sports. Or at least one of the top 5.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Whew - top 5 dynasty though is hard to crack

You got the Canadiens, Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Packers, UCLA Basketball, Oilers, Yankees, Alabama Tide, 49ers, OKL Sooners.....

There’s a lot of competition for best dynasties ever. That’s a long fun conversation though for sure and yeah - the Pats belong in it

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Whew - top 5 dynasty though is hard to crack

You got the Canadiens, Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Packers, UCLA Basketball, Oilers, Yankees, Alabama Tide, 49ers, OKL Sooners.....

There’s a lot of competition for best dynasties ever. That’s a long fun conversation though for sure and yeah - the Pats belong in it

I believe some of the top ones are:

1982-2000 North Carolina women's soccer - 16 titles in 19 years, including 9 straight
1964-75 UCLA men's basketball - 10 titles in 12 years, including 7 straight.
1957-1969 Celtics - 11 titles in 13 years, including 8 straight.
1964-79 Canadiens - 10 titles in 15 years, including 4 straight
1936-43 Yankees - 6 titles in 8 years
1947-62 Yankees - 10 titles in 16 years
1991-98 Bulls - 6 titles in 8 years

Edit: Yankees dynasty years corrected, Pokecheque. Wisea**. :laugh:

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I believe some of the top ones are:

1982-2000 North Carolina women's soccer - 16 titles in 19 years, including 9 straight
1964-75 UCLA men's basketball - 10 titles in 12 years, including 7 straight.
1957-1969 Celtics - 11 titles in 13 years, including 8 straight.
1964-79 Canadiens - 10 titles in 15 years, including 4 straight
1936-43 Yankees - 6 titles in 8 years
1047-62 Yankees - 10 titles in 16 years
1991-98 Bulls - 6 titles in 8 years

Yeah I remember that first really dominant Yankees season, that was also a really rough year for the Byzantine Empire.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
yeah I forgot UConn Womens basketball in there too. I dunno what their championships are, but their win totals have been crazy

And I saw a website put Jack Nicklaus out there too. I dunno if people consider a golfer a dynasty, but then again it is a one man sport :) And if you go by those rules you could probably throw in some Phelps and others from the Olympics

Very debatable topic I feel like - but good times to compare em all!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
yeah I forgot UConn Womens basketball in there too. I dunno what their championships are, but their win totals have been crazy

And I saw a website put Jack Nicklaus out there too. I dunno if people consider a golfer a dynasty, but then again it is a one man sport :) And if you go by those rules you could probably throw in some Phelps and others from the Olympics

Very debatable topic I feel like - but good times to compare em all!

Ahh Uconn women has to be #1. Just stupid levels on dominance there. Now that I think about it I didn't think of a lot of dynasties. Still think the Pats are up their with the best of the best dynasties though.

Edit: Huskies all time record 1119-297. Holy hell man.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've been a Nuggets fan since the day I went to Big Mac at 4 or 5 years of age and my favorite player was KiKi Vandeweghe, merely because I liked his name. Since then there have been a few highs and quite a few lows. But man...I would never, EVER, in a million years trade places with a Knicks fan.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So it appears the Knicks dealt away Kristaps Porzingis and are going all in on Anthony Davis.

Meanwhile, the Dallas Mavericks have quite the collection of European talent this very moment.

Yeah, I'm hoping Luka & KP are enough to get me to quit the Knicks for good. I tried to become a Nuggets fan when the melo trade happened, but it never stuck. Hopefully the mavs have actually done something about their culture & I can make the jump this time around.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Do you still consider them in that position when they skirt the rules and cheat to get there?

I mean yeah? I mean they had spygate like 15 years ago, but I mean they don’t skirt the rules anymore than every other team does. If you think every team doesn’t try to bend the rules than I don’t know what to tell ya

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I'm hoping Luka & KP are enough to get me to quit the Knicks for good. I tried to become a Nuggets fan when the melo trade happened, but it never stuck. Hopefully the mavs have actually done something about their culture & I can make the jump this time around.

Dude, why did you jump aboard right after the Melo trade? That was, like, the worst possible time to be a Nuggets fan! :laugh:

Honestly though, I don't think it was. Rock bottom for the Nuggets? I'm not quite sure. The popular answer is, of course, the one season Alan Bristow and poor Bill Hanzlik ran the team and nearly eclipsed the worst mark ever for a professional basketball team not named the Washington Generals. Thing is...that team was actually trying to tank. I think there are far better (or worse I guess) examples. To me...the worst may have been when Dan Issel uttered that racial slur and resigned in disgrace. Obviously that would eventually lead to Melo and the Nuggets' eventual resurgence, but man...that may have been the worst for so many reasons.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dude, why did you jump aboard right after the Melo trade? That was, like, the worst possible time to be a Nuggets fan! :laugh:

Honestly though, I don't think it was. Rock bottom for the Nuggets? I'm not quite sure. The popular answer is, of course, the one season Alan Bristow and poor Bill Hanzlik ran the team and nearly eclipsed the worst mark ever for a professional basketball team not named the Washington Generals. Thing is...that team was actually trying to tank. I think there are far better (or worse I guess) examples. To me...the worst may have been when Dan Issel uttered that racial slur and resigned in disgrace. Obviously that would eventually lead to Melo and the Nuggets' eventual resurgence, but man...that may have been the worst for so many reasons.

Because D'Antoni had those kids playing fun basketball around A'mare before that trade so I thought maybe if I follow those kids to their new team I'll be able to root for the new team...especially since I was already a long-time avs fan. :laugh:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Honestly though, I don't think it was. Rock bottom for the Nuggets? I'm not quite sure. The popular answer is, of course, the one season Alan Bristow and poor Bill Hanzlik ran the team and nearly eclipsed the worst mark ever for a professional basketball team not named the Washington Generals.

I was a season ticket holder during the Paul Westhead era. Wow was that awful. When the franchise hopes rested on Todd Lichti, Joe Wolf and Blair Rasmussen. I laugh now at how pathetic that was.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was a season ticket holder during the Paul Westhead era. Wow was that awful. When the franchise hopes rested on Todd Lichti, Joe Wolf and Blair Rasmussen. I laugh now at how pathetic that was.

I was at Big Mac for a couple Westhead games. Any time his name got mentioned the fans booed LOUDLY. Oof. Post-Doug Moe was a truly miserable era, but I still rank the Issel incident as the worst because it tainted a franchise legend, a guy who not only played for the team during the Alex English/Fat Level/Danny Schayes heydays, but a guy who also coached the team during the one, brief moment of playoff glory during those awful years when the Nuggets upset the Bucks in the first round.

But...yeah. Still not the nadir that has been the Nix under CableDolan. I read recently how Steve Mills has positioned himself as the Kevin Lowe of basketball and no doubt he was the guy who "masterminded" this latest deal. Ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad