Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXV - NBA Lottery Watch/MLB Opening Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That was almost one of the most Spursy finishes. Then the gods decided to finally smile upon their fans. What a soccer match. That was incredible.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
That was almost one of the most Spursy finishes. Then the gods decided to finally smile upon their fans. What a soccer match. That was incredible.
I am somehow still alive. f***ing unbelievable game. I don't know if I've ever seen a game that good but it was a nightmare to get through. Neural fans were treated to a gem.

SPURS TO THE SEMIS

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I am somehow still alive. ****ing unbelievable game. I don't know if I've ever seen a game that good but it was a nightmare to get through. Neural fans were treated to a gem.

SPURS TO THE SEMIS
VAR is what it is. Was the overrule against the spirit of the replay rule ... maybe? The instigator was running back to the ball on a tip. However, it was the right call because technically ... he was offside by half a foot.

Manchester City have only themselves to blame. They had the lead at HOME with 20 minutes to play. You have to finish them off.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Watching the replay of the Spurs / Manchester City match ... I don't see how MC fans have much of a gripe. I think the ball was off the hip on the Spurs' third goal. At least there wasn't enough video evidence to over turn it. And while overturn of MC's last goal was close ... it was the right call to the letter of the law. He was definitely offsides by half a foot.

Manchester City can complain about the rules and spirit of VAR, but both the calls on the field were correct.

EDIT: I was WRONG. The 3rd Spurs' goal was a hand ball. Complain away Manchester City fans.

Last edited:

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Watching the replay of the Spurs / Manchester City match ... I don't see how MC fans have much of a gripe. I think the ball was off the hip on the Spurs' third goal. At least there wasn't enough video evidence to over turn it. And while overturn of MC's last goal was close ... it was the right call to the letter of the law. He was definitely offsides by half a foot.

Manchester City can complain about the rules and spirit of VAR, but both the calls on the field were correct.

EDIT: I was WRONG. The 3rd Spurs' goal was a hand ball. Complain away Manchester City fans.

Nah the rules are it needs to be a deliberate use of the hands. His arm is tucked and it grazes it and goes in off his hip. It's a goal.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
What a turn around from this starting rotation

Figured there had to be some kind of regression to the mean (in a good way) for the Cubs at some point.

What happened at the beginning of the season was just ridiculous. I know the bullpen isn’t great and the starting rotation is a bit inconsistent, but they just simply weren’t as bad as what they were showing on the field.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It helps to play the Marlins (4-15). Will be interesting to see if this continues against the Dbacks and Dodgers. Much needed sweep though for the north siders, regardless of the opponent.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
MLB needs to fix the throwing at batter rules. If a pitcher is deemed to have hit someone on purpose it should be a 15 game suspension, 30 for a second offense. Its absurd that baseball allows players to be assaulted and only give a slap on the wrist.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
MLB needs to fix the throwing at batter rules. If a pitcher is deemed to have hit someone on purpose it should be a 15 game suspension, 30 for a second offense. Its absurd that baseball allows players to be assaulted and only give a slap on the wrist.

Is it though? I mean, we all watch hockey right?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Is it though? I mean, we all watch hockey right?

If someone shot a puck into the bench on purpose what do you think his suspension would be? 10 games? 20? People that use their stick as a weapon usually substantial penalties.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If someone shot a puck into the bench on purpose what do you think his suspension would be? 10 games? 20? People that use their stick as a weapon usually substantial penalties.

Why are you focusing on the throwing/shooting aspect of this? What about cross checking a guy in the face? Is that not assault? Why is that any different? What about bouncing a guys face of the glass like a turnbuckle in wrestling (Weber/Zetterberg, no suspension)?

I'm not defending throwing at a guy, but lets not act like baseball is the only sport where assault happens and goes relatively or completely unpunished.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Why are you focusing on the throwing/shooting aspect of this? What about cross checking a guy in the face? Is that not assault? Why is that any different? What about bouncing a guys face of the glass like a turnbuckle in wrestling (Weber/Zetterberg, no suspension)?

I'm not defending throwing at a guy, but lets not act like baseball is the only sport where assault happens and goes relatively or completely unpunished.

didn't Kadri just get like 5 games for cross checking a guy in the face? Also in hockey you consent to some contact. Like how baseball players consent to take out slides and getting run over at the plate if they are blocking the base. You consent to some sort of assault just by playing a sport. Getting drilled with a baseball or getting suckered punched in the back of the head (Bertuzzi) isn't something you consent to. Its why Bertuzzi was charged criminally and its why baseball should take intentional beanings much more seriously.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
didn't Kadri just get like 5 games for cross checking a guy in the face? Also in hockey you consent to some contact. Like how baseball players consent to take out slides and getting run over at the plate if they are blocking the base. You consent to some sort of assault just by playing a sport. Getting drilled with a baseball or getting suckered punched in the back of the head (Bertuzzi) isn't something you consent to. Its why Bertuzzi was charged criminally and its why baseball should take intentional beanings much more seriously.

Bertuzzi was criminally charged because of the resulting injury, not because of the act itself. Sucker punches happen all the time to varying degrees. Evander Kane just threw one the other day and was thrown out of the game but not suspended because it wasn't that bad and no one got hurt. Similarly Keller hit Andersen in the ass, which is the way to go about it, if you are going to do it. Had he drilled him in the head, and their had been an injury, he'd get a bigger suspension.

It's dumb, but it's part of the "culture" of the game, just like a lot of the stuff you see in hockey. Stupid stuff like this happens in every sport, which was my only point.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Most covered this argument, already, so not gonna really get into it. Plunking a guy in the ass with a pitch is not a big deal... If he threw at his head/face, different story, but most intentional HBP are thrown at a guy's ass or thighs.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Most covered this argument, already, so not gonna really get into it. Plunking a guy in the ass with a pitch is not a big deal... If he threw at his head/face, different story, but most intentional HBP are thrown at a guy's ass or thighs.
1. Fights are one of the few things that get baseball in the national conscience before September.

2. IMO, baseball likes fights. People talk about fights. It creates drama. Drama sells.

3. That said, who cares if players show some emotion? You should see what players do in the Caribbeans and Asia.

4. Counterpoint: it's kind of fun to see the serious baseball stiffs get angry at players who want to have fun playing a game. What are these "unwritten" rules? Who wrote them? However, let's not kill anyone while players get so angry at something so trivial.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Gordon Beckham is playing SS for Det today. I was so excited when he came up and played well in 2009. That was as good as it got. What a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad