OT: OT: Wireless signal to TV

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hey guys..

Sorry for the OT post -- mods -- move if needed , but this should be short and sweet.

With Cablevision, and a wireless router, you can watch TV on your phone and/or Kindle just by downloading Optimums apps and you can stream.

Can you stream to a TV instead of an app on a phone/kindle? Obviously, you can't d/l an app to a TV, but is there a way to stream Optimums content from my router to the TV?

(Yes. I'm trying to avoid using a cable box.)

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Hey guys..

Sorry for the OT post -- mods -- move if needed , but this should be short and sweet.

With Cablevision, and a wireless router, you can watch TV on your phone and/or Kindle just by downloading Optimums apps and you can stream.

Can you stream to a TV instead of an app on a phone/kindle? Obviously, you can't d/l an app to a TV, but is there a way to stream Optimums content from my router to the TV?

(Yes. I'm trying to avoid using a cable box.)

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

You can stream from a tablet or computer to a TV is you're using Chromecast. I don't believe you can do router, direct to TV or at least I've never tried.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Yeah -- forgot to mention -- not looking for hockey games, rather full menu of all TV channels -- just like whats available on a reg tv with cable box.

For Da wife -- she likes Food Network, travel channel, etc...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anything that offers a streaming service can be streamed to your television. You'd need a roku, chromecast, or an HDMI cable to do it though. You can't stream right from your router.

Dish just launched a new service for $20 a month, starting price, that is a streaming service like cable. It has ESPN and some other really good channels that don't normally allow for streaming. They also have add-ons for an increased price. You'd have to look more into it, but I do know that they do not require you to be a Dish user to sign up for the service. It's called Sling (not to be confused with Sling Box). https://www.sling.com/

hockeygoon15

Nov 30, 2006
If you have an old laptop (or desktop) you're not using anymore, you could connect that to the TV. Use a wireless keyboard/mouse to control it. If all you're going to be doing is playing video on it you can get away with using an older, inexpensive computer. You could probably even get a used one for a little over $100.

If you're more tech savvy and willing to do some (minimal) reading and tinkering, you could get something like a raspberry pi for $35 that would do the job.

Basic idea is to get a cheap computer and use the TV as you would a monitor.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
Love the Double Overtime title of this thread, anyways anything you can watch on your computer you can stream to your TV. You just will need either a cable or device to do it.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Thanks for the info guys.. I am a bit of a techie -- but don't have the time or desire to really monkey with it. Just might have to give in and "rent" the cable box for $8 a month and run some wires.

Best to do it now while the weather still blows!

ariesboychik

Feb 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
you can stream most content from the iPhone to an Apple TV as well, and it works pretty good.

i say most, because what i do know is the optimum app will NOT let you stream content from your mobile device to a tv.

the dolans have to pay for the rain:eek::eek::eek::eek: somehow.....

Yea I tried all different options for the past couple of months to stream the app to the TV but it won't allow me. The message of "external display not allowed" keeps displaying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad