OT: OT-what he doesn’t know is this is a buck and a quarter quarter staff

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Reading Comprehension Fail. Refer to bolded text.

Try "Retired Social Media Developer and Marshall McLuhan fan" syndrome

I'm an emergency physician. I was dismayed by how government and media selectively communicated the misleading case fatality rate rather than the more relevant infection fatality rate of Covid during 2020-2022. Given the Covid's ridiculously high contagiousness rate, but relatively low infection fatality rate, I thought a lot of the precautions that were taken were misguided. Twitter/X was the single one and only place I could express opinions I gained from four years of medical school, three years of residency, 6 days a week in the emergency department, and my review of current literature. Anywhere else on the internet I tried to express what I thought were reasonable, data-driven opinions, those opinions were removed. I see Twitter/X as bringing immense value to the world for allowing people to discuss points of view that might be outside the approved orthodoxy. I'll get off my soapbox but I find Twitter/X to have immeasurable, unique value and those who take issue with that value proposition to be small minded.

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I'm an emergency physician. I was dismayed by how government and media selectively communicated the misleading case fatality rate rather than the more relevant infection fatality rate of Covid during 2020-2022. Given the Covid's ridiculously high contagiousness rate, but relatively low infection fatality rate, I thought a lot of the precautions that were taken were misguided. Twitter/X was the single one and only place I could express opinions I gained from four years of medical school, three years of residency, 6 days a week in the emergency department, and my review of current literature. Anywhere else on the internet I tried to express what I thought were reasonable, data-driven opinions, those opinions were removed. I see Twitter/X as bringing immense value to the world for allowing people to discuss points of view that might be outside the approved orthodoxy. I'll get off my soapbox but I find Twitter/X to have immeasurable, unique value and those who take issue with that value proposition to be small minded.
Certainly, great example. Arab Spring, another good example. All kinds of them out there. No argument there.

Where was your opinion removed?

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Certainly, great example. Arab Spring, another good example. All kinds of them out there. No argument there.

Where was your opinion removed?
I misspoke a bit initially - my opinion was aggressively removed on Twitter prior to Musk's acquisition. I think the aggressive censorship on Twitter pre-Musk was his main reason for buying it. Physicians I agreed with and supported (Jay Bhattacharya, Scott Atlas at Stanford) were aggressively removed from Instagram I know, which I've never used so I have no experience with. Not sure about Facebook. I was also moderated out of comments sections on the WSJ and NYT. And certainly there was lot of self-censorship in the professional setting thanks to people aggressively reporting dissenting MDs to medical boards - although fortunately the section chief of my emergency department saw the same things I did and agreed with me entirely.

Edit: I know a bunch of videos the Stanford gang I found myself in agreement with put up were removed from YouTube as well.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I remember people getting upset with me if I would decline meetings they'd set up when they wouldn't include any sort of agenda.
I do that. Luckily not very often but I don't have time to waste going to a meeting that quite likely even when I know what it's about ... is still a waste of my time.

I love when people reschedule a regularly recurring meeting to a different day and then they are over 5 minutes late to it....
One of my team deals with a guy in Australia who regularly sets up meetings with us in NZ and then forgets to show to the meeting where he wants to talk to us about something.

Reactions: Chainshot

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Well written. Thanks. And interesting to hear a succinct summary of your views on Covid.

I never signed up for Twitter. It was a conscious decision when it first became a thing so has nothing to do with what it offered, who owns it or how its culture has changed. So I look on with some amusement as people get passionate about the state of it. Like hearing people argue about a band and all you can add to the conversation is "they're musicians right?"

Reactions: oldgoalie

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I misspoke a bit initially - my opinion was aggressively removed on Twitter prior to Musk's acquisition. I think the aggressive censorship on Twitter pre-Musk was his main reason for buying it. Physicians I agreed with and supported (Jay Bhattacharya, Scott Atlas at Stanford) were aggressively removed from Instagram I know, which I've never used so I have no experience with. Not sure about Facebook. I was also moderated out of comments sections on the WSJ and NYT. And certainly there was lot of self-censorship in the professional setting thanks to people aggressively reporting dissenting MDs to medical boards - although fortunately the section chief of my emergency department saw the same things I did and agreed with me entirely.
That's partly what I'm referring to. Not all covid response skepticism is the same, but often anyone singing out of tune with the choir was stomped down. I sympathize with that, but this is part of the bigger issue with twitter, social media, media, and the spaces our heads enter to find news and information. Your experiences and credentials and those of your colleagues were lumped in with Joe Sixpack who hates needles, and Yuri who is a bored contrarian. I could be a conservative who's suddenly lumped in with Pizzagate or the Birthers.

It's not a love of freedom of speech, it's love of money. What opinions are hanging out with yours on that site? What's with Tesla and SpaceX always appearing in my feed, despite my having blocked all related words and content?

It's always about the money!

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
That's partly what I'm referring to. Not all covid response skepticism is the same, but often anyone singing out of tune with the choir was stomped down. I sympathize with that, but this is part of the bigger issue with twitter, social media, media, and the spaces our heads enter to find news and information. Your experiences and credentials and those of your colleagues were lumped in with Joe Sixpack who hates needles, and Yuri who is a bored contrarian. I could be a conservative who's suddenly lumped in with Pizzagate or the Birthers.

It's not a love of freedom of speech, it's love of money. What opinions are hanging out with yours on that site? What's with Tesla and SpaceX always appearing in my feed, despite my having blocked all related words and content?

per highlighted above, see: NHL and all professional sports.

Reactions: newfiejesus

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Free Speech doesn't exist on social media.

Reactions: newfiejesus

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Even sports Twitter is really interesting today with the latest Stefon Diggs drama out there...
Does this drama have something to do with a female rap star? I saw something on FB, but didn't read into much after that. I took it with a grain of salt because of the source.

Anyone still using twitter in 2024 is enabling some horrible shit. All exceptional people I used to follow left the platform well before M*sk bought it to flatten it into a cudgel to clumsily pound away at public opinion and prop up his crumbling image. I am much happier getting news a few hours or a day later elsewhere than smacking the block button several times a day and wading through bots, insincerity and willful ignorance. It's gross and scrolling twitter makes me feel gross. It's started sliding into garbage ten years ago and it's putrid now.
Deleting Reddit and Twitter were two good decisions I've made. You fine folks are the only randos on the internet I respect enough to interact with, haha.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Does this drama have something to do with a female rap star? I saw something on FB, but didn't read into much after that. I took it with a grain of salt because of the source.

Deleting Reddit and Twitter were two good decisions I've made. You fine folks are the only randos on the internet I respect enough to interact with, haha.
I deleted IG like 4 years ago cause that also brought nothing of value. I never partook in Reddit or Twitter.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
FB_IMG_1728518282120.jpg

Reactions: Chainshot

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I deleted IG like 4 years ago cause that also brought nothing of value. I never partook in Reddit or Twitter.
I don't mind IG. If it's an app where people aren't typically hiding behind being anonymous, then I'm good with it. IG definitely has its people looking to get into an internet argument like FB, but I find it easy to ignore the comment sections on those apps. Twitter and Reddit, for whatever reason, can suck me into the comment section. I learned to stop commenting, but just reading how nasty people are toward each other when they can hide behind being anonymous makes me roll my eyes. So, deleted both, and am not looking back.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nope.

This is way worse and not with a female.
Wow. There are a couple crazy stories out there about him right now. The one you're alluding to sounds awful. Oddly enough, the first stories that popped up when I searched his name related to him and Cardi B. I'm surprised the one you're alluding to isn't getting more traction. Geez. He may have been a regular at Diddy's parties. MAY being the key word there!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Wow. There are a couple crazy stories out there about him right now. The one you're alluding to sounds awful. Oddly enough, the first stories that popped up when I searched his name related to him and Cardi B. I'm surprised the one you're alluding to isn't getting more traction. Geez. He may have been a regular at Diddy's parties. MAY being the key word there!
The silence is deafening. I have my guesses as to why that is the case.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Didn't pay much attention to Milton as wasn't going to affect us and my in-laws in Orlando were fine.
When I heard a couple days ago the pressure had dropped to just below 900millibar, I remarked to my wife that is truly rare to have a storm that low / strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad