OT: OT-what he doesn’t know is this is a buck and a quarter quarter staff

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Rainy season but unlike in the Philippines it's not constantly raining for a week or so. We get a torrential rain for a couple hours and then clear skies. Now unfortunately it's been clear skies during the day with the rain happening in the evening which impacts my business. We've had flooding in several areas but my and the girls route to work hasn't been impacted, but been playing chauffeur as I don't want them driving in the downpour

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rainy season but unlike in the Philippines it's not constantly raining for a week or so. We get a torrential rain for a couple hours and then clear skies. Now unfortunately it's been clear skies during the day with the rain happening in the evening which impacts my business. We've had flooding in several areas but my and the girls route to work hasn't been impacted, but been playing chauffeur as I don't want them driving in the downpour

CR was similar in a way - every afternoon it would be torrential downpours the likes of which I have never experienced in the US.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Some brownouts and rain. Sounds like there have been some spin-off tornadoes down near my parents' neck of the woods.
Be safe down there. But please, Christ, send some of that rain our way. Weather forecasters here say we need tropical rains to help us get out of this drought. We’re down somewhere between 3-8 inches for the year so far.

• Wow
Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Be safe down there. But please, Christ, send some of that rain our way. Weather forecasters here say we need tropical rains to help us get out of this drought. We’re down somewhere between 3-8 inches for the year so far.

I would love to send some of this up your way. It probably wouldn't take long to fill in some of that for you.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Welp. Laid off today. Haven't had to do a job search in over 20 years.

I'm sure things have changed. :huh:
That sucks! You will be alright. Experience and work ethic is still valuable these days.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
View attachment 898439

That’ll pass inspection, right?
Why even bother? Ignore the fit and finish, level, and joints, the risers are each different / uneven height. It's been decades since I did any masonry work, but I could have done that better.
I took the week off because I'm burned out and need a break. Have spent almost the entire time building an enclosure for a small blueberry bush garden. Just came in from attaching the final piece of wiring to keep the deer away. Blisters on my hand from the staple gun, sunburn from long hours outside, but it's done. Hell of a "break" though. :-/
You're also putting netting on top, correct? Birds will have a field day, pun intended, otherwise.

Well a weekend when I need the money from work and we're instead going to get hit by a storm. Faaaaak.
I flew out of MCO at 6:30 AM today to arrive home for work at 8:00. Barely dripping on the drive from 5-5:30 AM. (MIL's 71st birthday, we went for a quick visit, also to give me a break from my job as I've been working too much and had canceled a few days vacation the preceding weekend. (Not that I want to trade places. Too much work is always better than no job. Good luck, Chain.) Once again, another middle-of-summer trip to Orlando in the past few years where the weather back home in coastal NC was steamier and more irritable than the weather in central FL.
I hate people, and decided I can’t really be a hermit and/or curmudgeon. So this year I’ve been trying to get out of that mind space and get to know people, and it’s coming back to bite me in the ass in a big way.

Like there’s a woman that lives in the apartment next door who has a dog that she can’t control, but the dog listens to me and is extremely laid back. It’s a Bull mastiff and pitbull mix that basically acts like a lap dog with me. He ignores everyone and everything, until the other day when I relaxed on his leash to text my lady friend, and he just took off to go attack a couple of dogs he hates. Like this dog took off so quickly that it took a couple of seconds to even register wtf is going on, and by that point he had f***ed up one of them, and in the fight for me to even grab his leash and collar he made it worse. Now that lady is getting evicted because it was the fourth complaint about him this year.

And another check on the “be a hermit” side, another person asked me to accompany her somewhere to pick up some wacky tobaccy. So I went. It was supposed to be a grab and maybe chill out for 10 minutes thing. Instead it ended up being five hours and it ruined my 20 years of sobriety. It ended up being a trap house, and everyone there was smoking heroin, meth, and/or fentanyl, and I got second hand high af. I successfully avoided this shit for that long, but now because of that night all I want to do is chase that high again. She can’t get why I’m pissed at her, even though I explained why I am. The only good thing that I can look at is that I refused everything I was offered there, so I didn’t really ruin it, but now it’s the most tempted I’ve felt in 20 years to fall off the wagon. The only thing that’s stopping me is that I know it’s not a good thing, but even typing this story is enticing.

And lastly, I have a 17 year old as of this Sunday. Normally she spends the day with me. This year, she’s spending it with her boyfriend. I am not a fan of this event.
(and)
Hey man, you know in your bones that shit is not worth it. You have gotten up every day for 20 years and chose sober, you got this. f*** them, f*** that stuff, you have too much to offer to let that crap f*** with you.
(and)
I saw her yesterday. Took her shopping, out for dinner, and borrowed my friends ‘64 Malibu to go for a drive with her.
If her lifestyle / choices put your sobriety at risk, I'd strongly consider punting her. Stay strong.
Averaged over an inch of rain per day in July where I live. Gone for Fri PM, Sat, Sun, this past weekend. Rained again while I was gone. Flight out Friday PM was delayed by 1" rain in <1hr.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Why even bother? Ignore the fit and finish, level, and joints, the risers are each different / uneven height. It's been decades since I did any masonry work, but I could have done that better.

You're also putting netting on top, correct? Birds will have a field day, pun intended, otherwise.

I flew out of MCO at 6:30 AM today to arrive home for work at 8:00. Barely dripping on the drive from 5-5:30 AM. (MIL's 71st birthday, we went for a quick visit, also to give me a break from my job as I've been working too much and had canceled a few days vacation the preceding weekend. (Not that I want to trade places. Too much work is always better than no job. Good luck, Chain.) Once again, another middle-of-summer trip to Orlando in the past few years where the weather back home in coastal NC was steamier and more irritable than the weather in central FL.

(and)

(and)

If her lifestyle / choices put your sobriety at risk, I'd strongly consider punting her. Stay strong.

Averaged over an inch of rain per day in July where I live. Gone for Fri PM, Sat, Sun, this past weekend. Rained again while I was gone. Flight out Friday PM was delayed by 1" rain in <1hr.

The last message was about what I did with my daughter for her bday. She doesn’t challenge my sobriety at all. Just my sanity :laugh:

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I will never understand how people call a business looking for help, get told by an employee what information is exactly is needed to help, which the person doesn’t have. So, said employee tries to help to obtain said information but isn’t able to so tells person to call back as soon as they have information and they can get the help they need. Said person needing help then goes off saying you weren’t willing to help them. Like what part of the part 15 minutes of trying to help you did you miss?

• Haha
Reactions: Chainshot

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I will never understand how people call a business looking for help, get told by an employee what information is exactly is needed to help, which the person doesn’t have. So, said employee tries to help to obtain said information but isn’t able to so tells person to call back as soon as they have information and they can get the help they need. Said person needing help then goes off saying you weren’t willing to help them. Like what part of the part 15 minutes of trying to help you did you miss?

People are idiots. Every single one of us.

IMG_1390.jpeg

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
That was a confirmed F1 in Buffalo today. Hope that damage wasn’t too bad. We have our fair share of F1s and even the occasional F2 here in VA. Scary shit.

On another subject, our dog is fading from us. We have a rescue Golden Retriever that we adopted at about 3 1/2 to 4 years old (rescued from Turkey), and he’s about 9 or a bit more now. He has arthritis and kidney disease, and the worst day in any pet owners life is nearing us. He’s been an absolutely fantastic companion, and we are going to be lost without him. Pet people, please keep us in your thoughts. It’s much appreciated.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That sucks! You will be alright. Experience and work ethic is still valuable these days.

Is it though?

That was a confirmed F1 in Buffalo today. Hope that damage wasn’t too bad. We have our fair share of F1s and even the occasional F2 here in VA. Scary shit.

On another subject, our dog is fading from us. We have a rescue Golden Retriever that we adopted at about 3 1/2 to 4 years old (rescued from Turkey), and he’s about 9 or a bit more now. He has arthritis and kidney disease, and the worst day in any pet owners life is nearing us. He’s been an absolutely fantastic companion, and we are going to be lost without him. Pet people, please keep us in your thoughts. It’s much appreciated.

Oh no, I'm so sorry. He's such a good boy. :(

Reactions: oldgoalie

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Is it though?

Oh no, I'm so sorry. He's such a good boy. :(
I think so. I have hired 3 people this year and all were from outside the industry but with the ability to show and contribute. And all were seasoned to be kind. I have a hard time with recent college/ grad school grads who cannot seem to show up at a 9:00 am meeting at 9:00 am.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

That reminds me of my old Golden, Mika (yes, I named him after Noronen).

I lost him in the divorce, but my second wife and I were the ones to take Mika to the vet when it was time for him to be put down. He was the best dog I've ever had and even after him not really being my dog for a few years, it sucked.

Outliving our pets is the worst part of having them in our lives.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00