OT: OT Thread, Winter Edition(2nd Fall for Georgians)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Getting ready to host a hockey parent party tonight. We have done this every season except last of course so this is the 6th or 7th addition.

My kid has this season and next in U15’s and I think that’s the end of the road. I hear the fall off is huge after that with kids heading to high school hockey etc. Missing that season for Covid was unfortunate.

Watching my kid play hockey has been a blast.

It's a vicious cycle to be honest, not just in hockey. Even if they can make JV, Varsity thins it out so much more.

Covid must have been so absolutely awful for so many kids. My daughter's sport of choice was volleyball (breaks my heart she stopped playing basketball) and I cannot imagine her missing her last two years of club/high school as so many kids did. I'm of the opinion it was a huge mistake (lockdowns) but fully acknowledge that given the unknowns it was the right thing to do.

Reactions: ps241

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Since our Humor thread is extinct...

If you loved Airplane! .... ?

Here is David Zucker with commentary on these times and comedy and the destruction of it... brilliant stuff...

Destroying Comedy - David Zucker, Commentary Magazine

----

And the infamous Jive scenes Zucker references in his commentary...

I love love love that article. Of course the movie too.
We live in a progressively humourless world.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Winter season officially here, just went on my last long day hike and had my first raclette for the season. Kinda looking forward to the bad weather keeping me inside and working on my master's.

Getting ready to host a hockey parent party tonight. We have done this every season except last of course so this is the 6th or 7th addition.

My kid has this season and next in U15’s and I think that’s the end of the road. I hear the fall off is huge after that with kids heading to high school hockey etc. Missing that season for Covid was unfortunate.

Don't you guys have like... Beer league but it's kids?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Since our Humor thread is extinct...

If you loved Airplane! .... ?

Here is David Zucker with commentary on these times and comedy and the destruction of it... brilliant stuff...

Destroying Comedy - David Zucker, Commentary Magazine

----

And the infamous Jive scenes Zucker references in his commentary...

Thanks for that. The second article is well worth reading, just scroll down a little further.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

This seems surreal to read. I remember shortly after the Jets returned you would talk about your son and he was 5 or 6, around there. The years go quick don’t they @ps241? So far we have one in U9, U7, another starting next year and our youngest will start shortly after that. I love watching them play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke749 and ps241

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Winter season officially here, just went on my last long day hike and had my first raclette for the season. Kinda looking forward to the bad weather keeping me inside and working on my master's.

I have pond hockey in my backyard, but it's just me and my kids, and sometimes my nieces and nephews.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks for that. The second article is well worth reading, just scroll down a little further.

Thanks for leading Me to the article on Sokal... awesome stuff...

Makes Me thankful I know the difference between a "proton from a photon", among other things...

:thumbu:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This seems surreal to read. I remember shortly after the Jets returned you would talk about your son and he was 5 or 6, around there. The years go quick don’t they @ps241? So far we have one in U9, U7, another starting next year and our youngest will start shortly after that. I love watching them play.

Enjoy the journey Guerzy it is truly the best of times!!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

There is still hockey if you want to hang but there is a massive drop off.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just watched the Untold: Crime and Penalties ... story of the Danbury Trashers hockey team. Was on Netflix.

Amazing..

Listening to NHL Network this morning and they are saying that someone should make a documentary about the Atlanta Thrashers.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's a vicious cycle to be honest, not just in hockey. Even if they can make JV, Varsity thins it out so much more.

Covid must have been so absolutely awful for so many kids. My daughter's sport of choice was volleyball (breaks my heart she stopped playing basketball) and I cannot imagine her missing her last two years of club/high school as so many kids did. I'm of the opinion it was a huge mistake (lockdowns) but fully acknowledge that given the unknowns it was the right thing to do.

Man, I miss the days of going to my daughter's volleyball games and tournaments. So much fun as a parent.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just watched the Untold: Crime and Penalties ... story of the Danbury Trashers hockey team. Was on Netflix.

Amazing..

Listening to NHL Network this morning and they are saying that someone should make a documentary about the Atlanta Thrashers.

Yea I really enjoyed Crime and Penalties, honestly, it was hard to believe it was all real life.

Reactions: cbcwpg

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Anyone got predictions on the Olympic curling trials that start Saturday in Saskatoon? I think the # 1 seeds would be Gushue and Fleury.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Well folks, I kept my nose clean for almost two years and am double vaccinated but tested positive for COVID this week. Fever of 103, nauseous, can’t taste much, and full body ache yesterday. I wouldn’t recommend it, but thankfully I’m feeling a bit better now.

I didn’t bother watching WPG@CBJ so I could sleep and it turned out to be an OK decision. Might have added salt to the wound otherwise ;)

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Well folks, I kept my nose clean for almost two years and am double vaccinated but tested positive for COVID this week. Fever of 103, nauseous, can’t taste much, and full body ache yesterday. I wouldn’t recommend it, but thankfully I’m feeling a bit better now.

I didn’t bother watching WPG@CBJ so I could sleep and it turned out to be an OK decision. Might have added salt to the wound otherwise ;)
Take care and I hope you feel better soon!

I tested negative this morning but feel pretty rubbish. Using the forced off time to jam Forza Horizon 5.

Reactions: SM and Jets 31

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Glad that you are OK!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm surprised it hadn't already been the case.

In other sports news, no spoilers but the end of the F1 race this morning has given me many emotions, few of them good.

FI is a sport I can’t get there on. I know the Netflix series has done a great job of converting fans but on balance I just don’t connect to motor sports. I have so much respect for the talent of the drivers and how much work the teams put in but when push comes to shove I turn the channel.

Those that love it really seem to love it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad