OT: OT - Dragons is so stupid

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Stuck at the doctor with my son due to a shelter in place. Apparently, a tornado is roaming around the area. Crazy stuff! We're supposed to go camping after this.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Well it’s been a great weekend so far. One of my friends that I grew up with wasn’t feeling well, so he called for an ambulance after a couple of days of this. They came, decided he needs to go to the hospital, and by the time they arrived he was DOA of a heart attack at 38.

And then an hour later, my sister sends me a message telling me she has breast cancer. It’s not that far along yet, but still a gut punch after the gut punch of earlier in the day. Now I’m waiting for the third gut punch.
Hang in there. If it helps you cope, from what you have conveyed on these boards, you've not just endured, but survived and thrived more crap in life - personal and peripheral - than several of us combined. You're tougher than most; I am sure you're definitely tougher than me. (My respect to you, and best wishes for you and your sister / family.)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hang in there. If it helps you cope, from what you have conveyed on these boards, you've not just endured, but survived and thrived more crap in life - personal and peripheral - than several of us combined. You're tougher than most; I am sure you're definitely tougher than me. (My respect to you, and best wishes for you and your sister / family.)

It’s made me the sarcastic asshat that everyone knows and loves today

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Oof. The last 45 days or so have been rough. My dad passed, then migraines/exhaustion from high blood pressure (followed by a hospitalization for high blood pressure), then dealing with the after affects of the blood pressure meds.

I have not been very productive at work last month due to the fallout. My boss got upset that something had taken too long yesterday and today I noted they put in a request onboarding consultants in a similar role as mine (not exactly, but close enough I am legit concerned). I sent him a message detailing my away from work struggles and his response has been silence, which is the worst response you can get.

I am a contractor so I couldn't really take extra days off (don't get paid if I'm not logging hours). Hoping to make it through the day, but its starting to look like I might be back on the job market sooner rather than later.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oof. The last 45 days or so have been rough. My dad passed, then migraines/exhaustion from high blood pressure (followed by a hospitalization for high blood pressure), then dealing with the after affects of the blood pressure meds.

I have not been very productive at work last month due to the fallout. My boss got upset that something had taken too long yesterday and today I noted they put in a request onboarding consultants in a similar role as mine (not exactly, but close enough I am legit concerned). I sent him a message detailing my away from work struggles and his response has been silence, which is the worst response you can get.

I am a contractor so I couldn't really take extra days off (don't get paid if I'm not logging hours). Hoping to make it through the day, but its starting to look like I might be back on the job market sooner rather than later.
Sorry that everything is so tough.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

That sucks Doak

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

My condolences.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sorry about your dad Doak.

Appreciate that.

Sorry that everything is so tough.

That sucks Doak

The contractors they brought in are a mix of software engineers and cloud architects, so it looks like they are probably getting a quote for a project or long term engagement. Whether or not that means my role there is in danger, I don't know.

I might be overthinking things a bit. But the reality is I am a contractor there and frankly don't like it. Just hate interviewing. Going to pick up job hunt in the next few weeks. I made it through the end of the day today, so I'm ok for now, I think. If I had to guess I'll probably hear through the company who is contracting me through rather than from them about an end date for my contract (it's currently open ended and that it would probably run through the end of their year (their corporate year runs March to March), so i figured I had some time.

What concerns me most is the lack of a response from my boss, who is usually pretty communicative. He was right the project I was working on took far too long, and I owned up to it. My work previous was fine, but to be frank, they've given me very little direction as to what they wanted so I've essentially had to find things to do, mostly.

My condolences.

Thanks

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Appreciate that.

The contractors they brought in are a mix of software engineers and cloud architects, so it looks like they are probably getting a quote for a project or long term engagement. Whether or not that means my role there is in danger, I don't know.

I might be overthinking things a bit. But the reality is I am a contractor there and frankly don't like it. Just hate interviewing. Going to pick up job hunt in the next few weeks. I made it through the end of the day today, so I'm ok for now, I think. If I had to guess I'll probably hear through the company who is contracting me through rather than from them about an end date for my contract (it's currently open ended and that it would probably run through the end of their year (their corporate year runs March to March), so i figured I had some time.

What concerns me most is the lack of a response from my boss, who is usually pretty communicative. He was right the project I was working on took far too long, and I owned up to it. My work previous was fine, but to be frank, they've given me very little direction as to what they wanted so I've essentially had to find things to do, mostly.

Thanks
Best of luck with the work stuff, Matt. That sort of uncertainty sucks.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX

Everything about that is awful I am so sorry. I hope your place of employment finds some empathy, understanding and patience and I hope you are feeling better.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
IMG_1336.jpeg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were talking with an older lady after church. We found out that she has the same birthday as myself (July 9th) and that she wouldn't make a cake for herself.

My youngest likes to bake and he's quite good at it. So, I bought him ingredients and he made a dozen cupcakes and we brought a couple to church and gave them to her last Sunday. She returned the container they were in and included a Thank You card and said that small things can make people feel so good.

I also had an interaction with a young gentleman that works at the Wegmans pharmacy where my kids get their prescriptions filled. There was a mess up with my youngest's ADD meds and he expected me to freak out on him about it. I didn't and he said he was shocked that I was taking it so well.

Both of these interactions recently remind me how easy it is to forget that being kind and decent to everyone is both easy and important.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Well my instincts were bang on and they ended my contract today. Gawd I hate interviewing.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Sorry to hear, that's terrible. At least you saw the writing on the wall so it didn't blindside you however it doesn't make it any less difficult.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Related to @Jim Bob ‘s post, one life rule I adopted decades ago was to always shake the hand of the man (or woman) whose hands are dirty instead of mine. Having done my fair share of such tasks both in job/work and home life, I always offer my hand in appreciation
I’ve had people openly say “but I’m dirty” and I’ll simply say “it doesn’t matter”.
Had a new roof installed end of June and HVAC repaired, now it’s soffit fascia frieze board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad