OT: OT - I knew I should'a taken that left turn at Albuquerque

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
1719000104886.png

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Life is weird. Suddenly fell outta love with the solar sales life, just could not picture myself trying to steer one more conversation in a certain direction- f*** PG&E, solar is the future, but convincing people and being a salesman just isn’t for me.

So I’m likely gonna be working near a national park, all remote and shit. Might limit my posting, which might not be a bad thing, mentally. It’s not you, it’s the internet by and large.

The traditional job market in the US.. holy shit, have any of you tried to apply for anything recently? Maybe without a specialized STEM-related background? Brutal. Absolutely brutal. Meanwhile my readings inform me private equity is swallowing everything, but that gets close to matters we can’t discuss. Crazy when living in a tent in the desert sounds like “rent free!? Sign me up!”

• Wow
Reactions: oldgoalie

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Life is weird. Suddenly fell outta love with the solar sales life, just could not picture myself trying to steer one more conversation in a certain direction- f*** PG&E, solar is the future, but convincing people and being a salesman just isn’t for me.

So I’m likely gonna be working near a national park, all remote and shit. Might limit my posting, which might not be a bad thing, mentally. It’s not you, it’s the internet by and large.

The traditional job market in the US.. holy shit, have any of you tried to apply for anything recently? Maybe without a specialized STEM-related background? Brutal. Absolutely brutal. Meanwhile my readings inform me private equity is swallowing everything, but that gets close to matters we can’t discuss. Crazy when living in a tent in the desert sounds like “rent free!? Sign me up!”
I feel very stuck where I’m at work wise lately. I like parts of my job but some of the shit they’ve added on, and the insurance change, I’ve tinkered at looking but it either:
A) a bigger pay cut than I can take
B) horrible hours that wouldn’t work for me
C) going back to an industry I left after too long in it and it burning me out and probably still a pay cut and horrible hours
D) insanely mundane shit that would drive me crazy and can’t see myself doing

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I feel very stuck where I’m at work wise lately. I like parts of my job but some of the shit they’ve added on, and the insurance change, I’ve tinkered at looking but it either:
A) a bigger pay cut than I can take
B) horrible hours that wouldn’t work for me
C) going back to an industry I left after too long in it and it burning me out and probably still a pay cut and horrible hours
D) insanely mundane shit that would drive me crazy and can’t see myself doing

On the plus side, a conglomerate could buy you out and make you “redundant” in a few years, or AI could consume your industry! Or your position will be outsourced as soon as possible, we’re flexible like that!

If you have family that depend on your income, suck it up and explore the market in your free time. If not, find your niche skill and go into business for yourself asap. Or find niche jobs or emerging markets. If you want a stable 9-to-5, f*** yourself, you aren’t committed to the company. Every tear equals one sick day, you’re welcome.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
On the plus side, a conglomerate could buy you out and make you “redundant” in a few years, or AI could consume your industry! Or your position will be outsourced as soon as possible, we’re flexible like that!

If you have family that depend on your income, suck it up and explore the market in your free time. If not, find your niche skill and go into business for yourself asap. Or find niche jobs or emerging markets. If you want a stable 9-to-5, f*** yourself, you aren’t committed to the company. Every tear equals one sick day, you’re welcome.
Oh yeah family definitely dependent on my income. One thing I can say, my job can’t be outsourced. AI or other things could certainly be a concern but I think that probably a ways off. I’m using my works tuition payment option to work on a degree and bidding my time. I monitor the market but it sucks at the moment.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I've been floundering trying to find something for a while. It sucks.

Reactions: oldgoalie

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
For you younger folks in here:

Please take care of yourselves.

I'm 41 and I just had to spend fathers day in the hospital with untreated hypertension. I've neglected my body for far too long and I'm starting to pay the price.

Before I went to the hopsital I was having migraines every few days (evidently it was so bad they could see the remnants of it on CT scan) and my heart was so overloaded I could barely walk up the stairs without being absolutely winded.

Things are better under medication but now i get to take my BP multiple times daily and am trying to figure out which meds won't drop my heart rate too far. The first night I took a med that basically knocked my BP so low I thought I was having a stroke.

I now get to go to a Personal trainer multiple times a week and a weekly nutrition consultant to see if I can avoid a major weight loss surgery, which is an absolute last option for me.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

The job market is shitty everywhere. I have (had?) a relatively in demand role that every major company essentially cut at the same time in an effort to stem the rising costs of the position last year. I'm currently on a contract gig that was supposed to be contract to hire. It's been very frustrating this year with all the time I needed off between my dad and now my health, I haven't been getting paid when I haven't been working.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I'm 41 and I just had to spend fathers day in the hospital with untreated hypertension. I've neglected my body for far too long and I'm starting to pay the price.

Before I went to the hopsital I was having migraines every few days (evidently it was so bad they could see the remnants of it on CT scan) and my heart was so overloaded I could barely walk up the stairs without being absolutely winded.

Things are better under medication but now i get to take my BP multiple times daily and am trying to figure out which meds won't drop my heart rate too far. The first night I took a med that basically knocked my BP so low I thought I was having a stroke.

I now get to go to a Personal trainer multiple times a week and a weekly nutrition consultant to see if I can avoid a major weight loss surgery, which is an absolute last option for me.
Ah, hypertension- it's called the silent killer for a reason, unfortunately. I'm 36, and take meds for it, though my BP isn't too bad.

Here's to hoping your health improves. Seems like you're on a good path now.

Really, really hoping my wife doesn't leave my ass :(

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ah, hypertension- it's called the silent killer for a reason, unfortunately. I'm 36, and take meds for it, though my BP isn't too bad.

Here's to hoping your health improves. Seems like you're on a good path now.

Really, really hoping my wife doesn't leave my ass :(

Jeez man. What the hell??

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Hope you are on the path to health now. Scary stuff Doak.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Good luck.

I get wanting weight loss surgery to be the last option. My wife and I were of the same mind until she got to the point where nothing else worked for her.

She had gastric bypass last year. I was really worried as I waited for her to get through the surgery. But, things went as well as could be expected, she is over 100 lbs down from where she was when she started the pre-surgery weight loss diet, and she is able to do so much more physically than she could before the surgery.

So, if you get to that point, it is not a bad thing.

Good luck!

So, I got a good chunk of money for my graduation from seminary. I was thinking it would be to get a Macbook initially.

But, while I was out shopping on Saturday at Costco, the Ninja Creami called my name.

We had the first batch last night. I made a high protein chocolate Nutella version.

It was so good and my wife said that one batch was worth the cost of the machine.

I will probably be trying all sorts of experiments with it moving forward.

Reactions: Chainshot

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Not trying to be offensive but its really easy to lose weight, put the fork down, stop drinking calories hell you're even allowed to cheat with Ozempic now those are practical and viable ways that should always be used over surgery.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not trying to be offensive but its really easy to lose weight, put the fork down, stop drinking calories hell you're even allowed to cheat with Ozempic now those are practical and viable ways that should always be used over surgery.
Trust me, it is not that easy.

I have lost over 100 lbs in my life through diet and exercise. But, no matter what my wife tried over years and years, nothing worked. Even when calories in vs calories out logic determined that it should be working.

Her, her PMP, and all the various trainers and nutrition people she worked with never got to something that worked until she had the surgery.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Jeez man. What the hell??
I'm a tough man to love, apparently. I'm a lot like my dad in that I'm not very showing of my emotions. She wants more attention. Have you ever heard the saying 'if you don't date your wife another man will?' That's kind of the jist of it.

Also, we have some trauma in our past. I think she met me just as I was exiting my crazy party phase, so there were some moments I was still pretty immature. I've also neglected some concerns she's had in the past.

All that being said, it's not all on me. I want to go out and do things while shes more content at being home, and I think that led to me becoming bored.

I feel like Im mostly to blame, though, and if we do get a divorce- Im going to work on myself to become more open with my emotions and give more attention to those I love. I want longevity in a relationship. It's very fulfilling.

I dont doubt being single will be fun, but now that Im getting smacked in the face with the reality of it- Im not looking forward to it. I go to the bars a couple of times a month, and going there single and trying to mingle seems so foreign to me. It was kind of fun in my early 20s, but I cant imagine getting back into that lifestyle in my mid 30s.

Dont get me started about my little guy. That's a subject both of us are dreading to bring up. It's a very tender subject to talk about. We both feel like failures in that regard.

Not over yet, but it's really not looking good. The good news is, we're still able to talk about our feelings, and we want to be friends. Neither of us wants to turn out like our parents. I think we both have a lot of love and respect for eachother.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Oh yeah family definitely dependent on my income. One thing I can say, my job can’t be outsourced. AI or other things could certainly be a concern but I think that probably a ways off. I’m using my works tuition payment option to work on a degree and bidding my time. I monitor the market but it sucks at the moment.

Sounds like a solid plan/position, good luck!

Best of luck with it, absolutely miserable experience every time. The endless re-entering of info on resumes, the lack of responses. My new favorite is how I can’t even easily find relevant work in my area, job sites are just flooded with data collection bots and god knows what. I want to find physical stores hiring that I can drive to, I am not a dentist, I don’t want to drive for Uber. Anyways- I think I found a position, it only works for unattached weirdos like me, but otherwise I’d just be boots-on-the-ground looking for “now hiring” signs. Which isn’t a bad thing, it’s just weird how we’ve messed the internet up so bad where that now feels the better alternative to me.

Damn dude, get healthy! Don’t overdo at first, good that you have a trainer, but I swear it becomes fun once you get over the hump. Currently on a huge workout kick because unemployed, and I feel so much better now that I’m 20+ workouts in.
The job market is shitty everywhere. I have (had?) a relatively in demand role that every major company essentially cut at the same time in an effort to stem the rising costs of the position last year. I'm currently on a contract gig that was supposed to be contract to hire. It's been very frustrating this year with all the time I needed off between my dad and now my health, I haven't been getting paid when I haven't been working.

That’s that life stuff that doesn’t help, stress makes it tough to focus on your other physical health. Hope the job situation works out as well!

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I'm a tough man to love, apparently. I'm a lot like my dad in that I'm not very showing of my emotions. She wants more attention. Have you ever heard the saying 'if you don't date your wife another man will?' That's kind of the jist of it.

Also, we have some trauma in our past. I think she met me just as I was exiting my crazy party phase, so there were some moments I was still pretty immature. I've also neglected some concerns she's had in the past.

All that being said, it's not all on me. I want to go out and do things while shes more content at being home, and I think that led to me becoming bored.

I feel like Im mostly to blame, though, and if we do get a divorce- Im going to work on myself to become more open with my emotions and give more attention to those I love. I want longevity in a relationship. It's very fulfilling.

I dont doubt being single will be fun, but now that Im getting smacked in the face with the reality of it- Im not looking forward to it. I go to the bars a couple of times a month, and going there single and trying to mingle seems so foreign to me. It was kind of fun in my early 20s, but I cant imagine getting back into that lifestyle in my mid 30s.

Dont get me started about my little guy. That's a subject both of us are dreading to bring up. It's a very tender subject to talk about. We both feel like failures in that regard.

Not over yet, but it's really not looking good. The good news is, we're still able to talk about our feelings, and we want to be friends. Neither of us wants to turn out like our parents. I think we both have a lot of love and respect for eachother.

Don’t give up until it’s really the end? You’d know better than any of us, but if it’s already amicable there’s hope. Couple romantic nights in doing whatever she likes? Idk man, I hope it turns out well whatever happens. I suck at that stuff myself, I’ve just found being single easier. Not exactly a great solution, wouldn’t really recommend.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Don’t give up until it’s really the end? You’d know better than any of us, but if it’s already amicable there’s hope. Couple romantic nights in doing whatever she likes? Idk man, I hope it turns out well whatever happens. I suck at that stuff myself, I’ve just found being single easier. Not exactly a great solution, wouldn’t really recommend.
Oh yeah, I'm not giving up. The ball is mostly in her court. That being said, this has been something we've been going through for 3 months now. We've done more date nights and spent more time together in general. The issue is, she is sad that she had to bring up separation for me to put in the effort. It doesn't feel genuine to her.

There's a lot to it, unfortunately, and while I haven't quit- I also know I won't be able to stay in a relationship where I feel like the bad guy. She doesn't put the blame on me like that, but a lot of our issues are issues I have to work on. So, whether I work on those issues with or without he is ultimately up to her for now, but if she's still feeling stressed in our relationship say 5 months from now- it's going to be tough to stay in the relationship knowing I'm a big reason for her stress.

Ever thought of therapy to figure out why you can't be in a long-term relationship? I may try it out, but I also don't want to hyper focus on every issue I've ever had in my life. I feel like that may do more harm than good, haha.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Oh yeah, I'm not giving up. The ball is mostly in her court. That being said, this has been something we've been going through for 3 months now. We've done more date nights and spent more time together in general. The issue is, she is sad that she had to bring up separation for me to put in the effort. It doesn't feel genuine to her.

There's a lot to it, unfortunately, and while I haven't quit- I also know I won't be able to stay in a relationship where I feel like the bad guy. She doesn't put the blame on me like that, but a lot of our issues are issues I have to work on. So, whether I work on those issues with or without he is ultimately up to her for now, but if she's still feeling stressed in our relationship say 5 months from now- it's going to be tough to stay in the relationship knowing I'm a big reason for her stress.

Ever thought of therapy to figure out why you can't be in a long-term relationship? I may try it out, but I also don't want to hyper focus on every issue I've ever had in my life. I feel like that may do more harm than good, haha.

Nah, no money for it and I like to think I’ve slowly been working through my problems. Job/location stability is the biggest part of it, can’t really commit to a relationship until I know where I plan to be in 6 months. Therapy is good though, you just gotta find the right doc- I tried in my 20s and never found the right match.

I relate to those issues though, definitely another part of why I’ve been single. Bit of a mess, it’s tough to let another person in with all that, and it’s another thing besides yourself to focus on. Best of luck man, hope it can be saved and y’all can find more happiness!

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Not often I share home stuff here but thought I would put some broad details in.

First of all it's great to see some of you guys having an outlet to chat about stuff here. Luckily for me (and I should tell her this more often) I have a wife that is there to listen to any of my woes.

Anyway this isn't really woe, just felt like sharing.

I work in Tech for a Finance company. A pretty big one for here. One of my team called me at 1:30am to escalate something he'd been part of. It's now 3:30pm and I finally managed to grab a 2 hour sleep so it's been a long day. Long and short of it is that we probably dodged a bullet. One of our senior Tech leaders was in a chat with me sweating bullets (maybe half jokingly and i intentionally reuse the bullet reference) saying that if the worst case eventuated they'd be looking for a job. A number of people spent hours and hours trying to work out the issue. Then after about 10 hours, the team responsible for the bit of tech that was broken finally relented to their own reluctance to do so and called someone who had retired. That person joined the tech call, found the problem in 5 minutes and voila. Fixed.

The working environment is funny all over the show right now. Jobs are in short supply, people getting made redundant, roles going offshore ... and yet for some people that knowledge that they have is like gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Navy Goat

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua

Have you ever gone back and listened to the song "Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)"?

I did earlier this year, I'm 42, and it was definitely an experience to listen to a song I heard when I was 17, and now hear it with completely different perspectives.

And yes, look after yourselves people ... especially as you start to exit your 30s and into your 40s. My problem is my hobby is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Im not amazing at it, but i love it. It keeps me fit with one of the best overall body workouts around ... buuuuut it's also very hard on the body too so i have to be careful and listen to my body. It was a huge mindset shift to me to adjust from back when i was like "there is no stop, fight everyone no matter how big they are, fight through pain." Now I do not fight everyone. I turn down people that can damage me. I listen when my body tells me I might be a bit injured. Hard lessons. Hard to adjust your ego.
I always thought that too, but it's easy to cast stones when I'm 160lbs, 6ft 2in and ate like a waste disposal unit all through my life til recently. These days I am more understanding. I've seen people work extremely hard for little gain. I know people who would love to exercise the weight away but they have injuries or a body that won't let them (or at least would make it very difficult), and then honestly there is the question of how hard do you go. If I knew I had to spend hours at tye gym every day to maintain my weight would I have the discipline to do it? If it was the gym, hell no. So I can understand some people just go "ehhh f*** it, this is me"

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Not often I share home stuff here but thought I would put some broad details in.

First of all it's great to see some of you guys having an outlet to chat about stuff here. Luckily for me (and I should tell her this more often) I have a wife that is there to listen to any of my woes.

Anyway this isn't really woe, just felt like sharing.

I work in Tech for a Finance company. A pretty big one for here. One of my team called me at 1:30am to escalate something he'd been part of. It's now 3:30pm and I finally managed to grab a 2 hour sleep so it's been a long day. Long and short of it is that we probably dodged a bullet. One of our senior Tech leaders was in a chat with me sweating bullets (maybe half jokingly and i intentionally reuse the bullet reference) saying that if the worst case eventuated they'd be looking for a job. A number of people spent hours and hours trying to work out the issue. Then after about 10 hours, the team responsible for the bit of tech that was broken finally relented to their own reluctance to do so and called someone who had retired. That person joined the tech call, found the problem in 5 minutes and voila. Fixed.

The working environment is funny all over the show right now. Jobs are in short supply, people getting made redundant, roles going offshore ... and yet for some people that knowledge that they have is like gold.
It's nice to vent to people you feel like you know, but are still anonymous to. I'm a pretty reserved person, so this has become a good outlet.

Also, as a tech person- have you ever watch Silicon Valley? My wife and I have binged it. I never thought they could make the tech industry funny and entertaining, but they managed!

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
It's nice to vent to people you feel like you know, but are still anonymous to. I'm a pretty reserved person, so this has become a good outlet.

Also, as a tech person- have you ever watch Silicon Valley? My wife and I have binged it. I never thought they could make the tech industry funny and entertaining, but they managed!
that was a fantastic show. as a long time techie, it was so true to life in our world, and even more so if you worked at a startup or during the boom times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad