OT Finnish Airforce just because

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I'm a fangirl for these. I thought they were having one for US in 2020 but shit happened.

The Finn hornets won the Douglas Bader Trophy at Farnborough for best solo demo in 2019 and 2018, to the irk of RAF in their home field.

So I say, hi hi. Mrazek's Vengeance understands me, if Lempo won't.

Umm... Discuss. :D

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Lempo, he didn't do the frisbee, and the cobra was half assed. The dancer move wasn't half bad though.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Better than those Soviet jets!
The better moves make you think, why wasn't this a F-22? (Why didn't Finland get F-22 back then?)

The cheap tricks like showing your landing gear, that's started by the Swiss air force. (True story, in Farnborough.)

The Soviet jets... an old MiG21bis can still outrun a Hornet. Easily 2.2 Mach vs 1.8, so there you go. It's all about the systems, mostly, nowadays. And pilot skill.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Could I interest the Finnish government in some slightly rusted F-35s?
It's not that simple, you see. Su-27 had lovely Saturn engines and was great. MiG-29 got horribad Klimov engines. Su-47 is not stealthy and has problematic engines from the combined design office.

But we still need something like the F-35A, even if the Raffy and Tiffy were better, and the Growlers were very much what's needed. Possibly a bit of politics in there.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
This is not power politics, mind you. Finland has to maintain the Baltic Sea and airspace, when and until our developing Baltic friends can do it too. (And then they won't buy our ice capable corvettes but the cheaper German ones. hmphm. Silly buggers.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The f-35 is the new F-111. Trying to make a jet for every role doesn't work.
I love the F-111. The aussies always loved it.

It'd never have a role in Finland.

The F-35A has.

(Can you imagine the stories we had about the B? "Every gas station"... We do have the Distributed Doctrine dotcrine in place, mind you.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Could I interest the Finnish government in some slightly rusted F-35s?
Whenever slightly rusted comes up, yes, you could.

First the Finns stole The Netherlands' 100 operational Leopard 2a4 tanks, then their remaining upgraded 120 2a7 tanks for a silly low price, thank you.

True story, by the way.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
You drive a hard bargain. But the price just increased 100%, and if you can't pay up, well that's the idea.
It's not if I can't pay up, of course I can't, and it's long term... but what's the compensation trade? Maybe 50% in a deal like this? 30%?

Oooo you get nice 120mm Nemo vehicle turrets cheaper than you thought. Already in testing by USMC. So, 40%?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It's not if I can't pay up, of course I can't, and it's long term... but what's the compensation trade? Maybe 50% in a deal like this? 30%?

Oooo you get nice 120mm Nemo vehicle turrets cheaper than you thought. Already in testing by USMC. So, 40%?
Wait, what? I can't hear you. Oh shit, and I just rolled my ankle.

So you accepted our lopsided deal? Very good move, you won't regret it.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The compensation, bilateral trade used to be like, Finland exports ice-breaker ships and furniture and mech products, Soviet Union exports very good Lada cars and oil and gas and very good weapons, and then they are annually tallied for the value. This went on for decades. It had to stop and, well, did. -- Svech need not know anything about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad