OT: Do The Leafs Still Dominate The Toronto Sports Landscape?Or Its A Raptor Town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yes they have some diehard core support i said.

But if Leonard leaves and they are suddenly no longer a playoff team you will see most people no longer care...just like again nobody cares about the Jays now
Do you think a rapidly growing sport is the same as bandwagon?

I’ve always thought of bandwagon like how the Chicago Blackhawks played in an empty echoing building for years and suddenly some high picks breathe life and it’s ‘the Mad House on Madison’. Those aren’t real fans, obviously. That’s bandwagon.

I would think a new generation of fans of a team that’s been around for less than 25 years is kind of different, though?

Jays get love in the summer. Nobody cares right now when there’s still real sports going on.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Do you think a rapidly growing sport is the same as bandwagon?

I’ve always thought of bandwagon like how the Chicago Blackhawks played in an empty echoing building for years and suddenly some high picks breathe life and it’s ‘the Mad House on Madison’. Those aren’t real fans, obviously. That’s bandwagon.

I would think a new generation of fans of a team that’s been around for less than 25 years is kind of different, though?

Jays get love in the summer. Nobody cares right now when there’s still real sports going on.
Tbh most Raptor home games used to be 25%-50% empty during the decade between the "Wethenorth" era and the VC era from the early 2000s. The raps were an afterthought franchise both in Canada and across the NBA for much of their existence, which is what makes this run all the more impressive since they literally built from the bottom.

Again, I'm far from a Leafs fan, but their arena is packed whether they're a 100-point team or a 60-point team. They're somehow still the most popular hockey team in the world despite being garbage for over 50 years. The one thing I will comment on though is that Raps games seem more loud and electric than Leafs games which is odd but I guess since the NBA has a younger demographic that there will naturally be a more energetic crowd.

Reactions: sparxx87

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Tbh most Raptor home games used to be 25%-50% empty during the decade between the "Wethenorth" era and the VC era from the early 2000s. The raps were an afterthought franchise both in Canada and across the NBA for much of their existence, which is what makes this run all the more impressive since they literally built from the bottom.

Again, I'm far from a Leafs fan, but their arena is packed whether they're a 100-point team or a 60-point team. They're somehow still the most popular hockey team in the world despite being garbage for over 50 years. The one thing I will comment on though is that Raps games seem more loud and electric than Leafs games which is odd but I guess since the NBA has a younger demographic that there will naturally be a more energetic crowd.
Yeah it’s definitely taken time to grow. For me the most noticeable difference has been the last few years. They’ve consistently been a good team and now have an entire generation in existence. None of the 18-32 yr old demographic really remember life without the Toronto Raptors anymore.

The growth in Canadian basketball as whole over the past 10 years has been exceptional. Great to see.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It just a bandwagon.

Raptors have some core support but will never be close to the Leafs.

Watch if they lose in the Finals and then Leonard leaves nobody will care again...though attendance won't be as bad like the Blue Jays right now since the tickets are tied with the Leafs
Actually the raptors are more popular with Toronto's ethnic community than the Leafs are. Give things another 10 years and I bet they will rival the Leafs for popularity.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I met this girl from a very small town about 3 hours away from the GTA and I remember back in September when our topic of discussion switched to sports all of a sudden, and I decided to “test” her about sports by asking her super basic questions like “what’s the nba team in Toronto called” and she literally responded with a dead serious face by saying “there’s a basketball team in Toronto?”.....and then when I asked her to guess the name of it she said the Lakers cuz that’s the only name that somewhat rung a bell lol

Andddd guess what, nine months later, she texts me saying “go raps” and she even bought a raps hat despite knowing nothing about the team or the sport haha
Yes but exposure like this causes many people to become fans . You have to start somewhere.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Actually the raptors are more popular with Toronto's ethnic community than the Leafs are. Give things another 10 years and I bet they will rival the Leafs for popularity.
It depends. I’d say Toronto itself its actually pretty split because of what you’ve mentioned. Large sections of Etobicoke and North York are Raptors dominant in particular... it’s the entire GTA that weighs in the Leafs favour IMO.

mapleleafJATT

Jun 4, 2019

no there not, leafs and hockey in general is way more popular in the punjabi/indian/pakistani community...nobody in brampton even cared about basketball until now which is expected...
this minority following raptors is just a myth which gives raptors fans a hope that there relevant

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Leafs will always be king of the hill.
The Raptors are now worth more, and an SCF final press meet won't match the NBA final.
I think many people, just like what MLSE has done for all the teams under their umbrella.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
no there not, leafs and hockey in general is way more popular in the punjabi/indian/pakistani community...nobody in brampton even cared about basketball until now which is expected...
this minority following raptors is just a myth which gives raptors fans a hope that there relevant
:laugh: You don’t get out much, huh?

Reactions: DueDiligence

mapleleafJATT

Jun 4, 2019
The Leafs will always be king of the hill.
The Raptors are now worth more, and an SCF final press meet won't match the NBA final.
I think many people, just like what MLSE has done for all the teams under their umbrella.

NBA valuations are flawed, there pretty much made up since the LA clippers were bought....raptors being worth more than the leafs and yet leafs bringing in more money by far...some is not wrong there...i call bullshit

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Well the leafs werent garbage for 50 years. The Gilmore/Clark and Sundin Eras has some reqlly good teams, just didnt win a cup.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
White population is only 26%

What kind of person openly posts they would only want to live in a white dominante area?

Im not saying brampton is the best spot to live, there are many reasons to not want to live there, but the ethnic breakdown isnt even on the radar.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Shockingly incorrect. Bravo.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
This is really untrue

Reactions: Roman Fell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad