OT - Boston Real Estate request for Help

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
My Son and daughter in-law live in Cambridge, right at Alewife station. Looking to buy a house and looking for suggested areas to target. She works in Arlington, he works downtown (seaport area), so a town near a subway line is preferable.
We looked at 2 homes in Natick yesterday. The first, House built in 1850 floors, walls, ceilings all out of wack. 2 bathrooms on first floor (no bedrooms), 3 bedrooms on 2nd floor (no bathrooms). $ 670,000. That house where I live is about$50,000. Second house, was like 1700 sq ft, on a slab, better condition than the first, for 690,000.

They are looking for 700,000 - 850,000

On a side note, driving in and out of Boston, on the Turnpike , these last few years, we pass lots of lakes, but I never see anyone on them. If its for drinking I understand no motor boats, but never see kayaks or sailboats. Not allowed ?

Thanks

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
750, that’s every home in the south shore now. Can probably get you 3-4 beds, 2 bath, garage, 1800 sq ft

Not that they SHOULD be worth that, but that’s the current situation there.

Reactions: Johnny Upton

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
750, that’s every home in the south shore now. Can probably get you 3-4 beds, 2 bath, garage, 1800 sq ft

Not that they SHOULD be worth that, but that’s the current situation there.
We moved to the South Shore in 2020 and we’d be priced out now if we wanted to move here into a similar house. It’s kinda nuts how much the market skyrocketed.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
We moved to the South Shore in 2020 and we’d be priced out now if we wanted to move here into a similar house. It’s kinda nuts how much the market skyrocketed.
I’m the donkey that waited in 2020, only to see everything double almost the day I started looking. Then it continued to get worse, rates shot up, and the horrible housing market stretched further and further south. It has officially reached New Bedford.

My only saving grace is that both my girlfriend and I have two family houses, so we can use the rentals to put us over the hump. Otherwise, there’s no way I’m affording a reasonably sized home today.

Ten years ago i bought in Kingston for 370. It sold in 2020 for 485. Right now it’s worth 750 according to Zillow. Knowing the neighborhood it would likely get closer to 8. I sure wish I held onto that one lol

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
What are they looking for? Size? Bedrooms? Baths? Urban? Suburban? Subway v commuter rail access? Yard/space important to them?

The market is insane in this area. For a starter home in an area they'd probably want to live in, you're looking at least $700k.

We bought our house in 2015. We live in a detached single family house, about 1300 sq feet., 3 beds 1.5 baths (we put the half bath in). No real yard, but huge deck and patio in the back. Driveway for 2 cars, last house on a dead end street, and a 5 minute walk to both the orange line and commuter rail. We paid $420k then (which we thought was insane), and it's estimated at $735k now.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Maynard might work. You can get to the Acton or Concord commuter rail which connects to the red line which can get you close to Alewife. Its a decent town, but often overshadowed by the more prestigious towns around it. School are OK but its only a matter of time until they are good due to proximity.

Working in Arlington doesn't make it easy to find a place. If she could get a job downtown or in the suburbs it would be easier to cast a wider net.

For example, I used to live in Marblehead which people think of very expensive but when you factor in a low property tax rate, being very walkable (we only had one car), and the ability to commute into the city with only having to buy a T pass for $90, opposed to a commuter rail which cold run up to $400/mo per person PLUS parking. BUT its a bad commute to Cambridge, impossible to Arlington.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
What are they looking for? Size? Bedrooms? Baths? Urban? Suburban? Subway v commuter rail access? Yard/space important to them?

The market is insane in this area. For a starter home in an area they'd probably want to live in, you're looking at least $700k.

We bought our house in 2015. We live in a detached single family house, about 1300 sq feet., 3 beds 1.5 baths (we put the half bath in). No real yard, but huge deck and patio in the back. Driveway for 2 cars, last house on a dead end street, and a 5 minute walk to both the orange line and commuter rail. We paid $420k then (which we thought was insane), and it's estimated at $735k now.

And that 735 seems low to me! You'd have a buyer tonight, sight unseen, no inspections, no contingencies.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Just started looking, so trying to figure out what they can get within their budget.
They would like 3 bedrooms at lease 1 1/2 baths and a little bit of yard.
I just cannot relate to the costs in Boston. I live in Binghamton, NY. My house 2000 sq, center hall colonial, built in 1913, 2 car detach garage, on a 50 x 100 ft lot, will sell for about $250,000 - 270,000.

She drives to work in Arlington, He takes the subway into boston. I think they would like to do that
and avoid buying a 2nd car and avoiding the drive and park into Boston.

Not really looking for specific homes, but areas to look at or avoid.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Just to give you a sense, these 3 properties are in Melrose. Commuter rail and orange line access.

16 Berkeley St, Melrose, MA 02176 | MLS #73277617 | Zillow

This is a total gut job...$525k

This one is in Reading, which has commuter rail access and a bit further out.

Acton....commuter rail, but out there.

The entire region is insane. They'd be well served to narrow down an area and just deal with the fact that their lives will be taken over by open houses and heartbreak for a while haha.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Bought northwest out on 495 in 2014. Town with top tier schools. House has more than doubled in value without factoring what we’ve done to it. I’d love to sell but then we’d have to find one to buy lol.

Only 10 more years until the youngest graduates…

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Bought northwest out on 495 in 2014. Town with top tier schools. House has more than doubled in value without factoring what we’ve done to it. I’d love to sell but then we’d have to find one to buy lol.

Only 10 more years until the youngest graduates…
I'm right there with ya. Kids are 12/9/9

I'm a few weeks away from signing my life away on a home, but still sitting on a 2 family worth at least 2x the remaining principal. The problem is that my father is still living in it and there's nowhere for him to go. Home values and rates are doubled

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad