OT? Bon Jovi Banner to be Hung From ACC Rafters

Feb 24, 2004
A couple of points for the "why get up in arms with this?" crowd:

1) Leiweke has a previous (and pretty successful) relationship with Bon Jovi. AEG (and TL) promoted Bon Jovi concerts for a while: Link
Bon Jovi has also honoured Leiweke before: Link

2) The numbers in the article appear fishy to say the least (someone pointed this out on twitter - sorry for lack of credit). 600,000 tickets sold in 17 appearances? Do the math.

It sets a pretty poor precedent to be honouring non-athletes. It sets an even worse precedent to be honouring them based on your personal relationships, while at the same time working hard to strip down all reminders of the past for the team that helped build the arena in the first place.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
It doesn't matter. It's the ACC's prerogative, not the Leafs'.

Except for two things:

It's mainly known as the Leafs building (regardless of the number of concerts held in the ACC, the first thing the average person in NA thinks of when the name of the building is mentioned is the Leafs) and the President/CEO of the Leafs is the one defending the action.

Can we find the people who vandalized the mural in Boston? I just want to talk to them, honest! :naughty:

Or like Billy Joel or Elton John getting a banner in Madison Square Garden. It would never happen.

Lets bring this more close to home: imagine if Harold Ballard had put a banner for Elvis Presley at MLG. He'd have been tarred and feathered like he should have been. :shakehead

There's very little difference here, except maybe Elvis has more Toronto fans than Bon Jovi.

Last edited:

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Except for two things:

It's mainly known as the Leafs building (regardless of the number of concerts held in the ACC, the first thing the average person in NA thinks of when the name of the building is mentioned is the Leafs) and the President/CEO of the Leafs is the one defending the action.

Can we find the people who vandalized the mural in Boston? I just want to talk to them, honest! :naughty:

1) It's not just a hockey rink.
2) Tim is the President of MLSE, the tenants of the ACC. He over-see's everything.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
2) Tim is the President of MLSE, the tenants of the ACC. He over-see's everything.

1) It's still mainly a hockey rink. It should be treated as such.

2) He's still most visible as a Leafs staffer, and the Leafs are the "crown jewel" of MLSE (they're Maple Leafs' Sports and Entertainment for a reason). It's not just "the ACC's perogative" because the ACC is owned and run by the same people that own and run the Leafs: in particular, Leiweke.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I don't like it. He's not even Canadian, would rather reserve our rafters for actual players, hell even a coach or a GM who can help us to a Cup. I think the notion of raising celebrities to the rafters when they have nothing to do with a sports team is dumb, for any sport. This is lame as hell.
Neither is Salming

Feb 24, 2004

TL's quote in the article: "“We’ve left plenty of room up there for Stanley Cup banners. This doesn’t take away from the Leafs,†said Tim Leiweke, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment."

I wonder what he thinks of when he thinks of the ACC?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm ok with this in principle, but I don't think it's appropriate to have the ceremony at a Leaf game, and I don't think the banner should be hung from the rafters. It should have been done at a Bon Jovi concert.

Leiweke has misread the Toronto market several times already with his publicity stunts.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
A couple of points for the "why get up in arms with this?" crowd:

1) Leiweke has a previous (and pretty successful) relationship with Bon Jovi. AEG (and TL) promoted Bon Jovi concerts for a while: Link
Bon Jovi has also honoured Leiweke before: Link

2) The numbers in the article appear fishy to say the least (someone pointed this out on twitter - sorry for lack of credit). 600,000 tickets sold in 17 appearances? Do the math.

It sets a pretty poor precedent to be honouring non-athletes. It sets an even worse precedent to be honouring them based on your personal relationships, while at the same time working hard to strip down all reminders of the past for the team that helped build the arena in the first place.

What's so wrong with that number? Possibly a little high, but I'm guessing whoever on Twitter is forgetting that the floor is opened up for concerts, not just the lower- and upper-bowls.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
What's so wrong with that number? Possibly a little high, but I'm guessing whoever on Twitter is forgetting that the floor is opened up for concerts, not just the lower- and upper-bowls.

The problem is that's around 35k per concert. Consider that the seating room for concerts at the ACC is listed at 19 800, that means at least 15 000 people would be standing room/floor. That's highly unlikely at one concert, let alone 17.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
uh, what? no

bon jovi is a million times better than anything on the radio in the past 20 years

Indeed

I remember watching Jon Bonjovi and Aldo Nova back in 84 on the overnight music video show City Limits playing table hockey against Teenage Head. Back when music was played with guitars and drums and not computers

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
1) It's still mainly a hockey rink. It should be treated as such.

2) He's still most visible as a Leafs staffer, and the Leafs are the "crown jewel" of MLSE (they're Maple Leafs' Sports and Entertainment for a reason). It's not just "the ACC's perogative" because the ACC is owned and run by the same people that own and run the Leafs: in particular, Leiweke.

TL's quote in the article: "“We’ve left plenty of room up there for Stanley Cup banners. This doesn’t take away from the Leafs,” said Tim Leiweke, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment."

I wonder what he thinks of when he thinks of the ACC?

Your opinions on what TL thinks aren't really relevant. At the end of the day, it's an entertainment organization who run a giant venue. They can do as they please, and honour whichever entertainer they wish.

IMO, I think the idea is hilarious. They shouldn't raise a banner next to the Leafs greats. But it's their prerogative as an entertainment company.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The problem is that's around 35k per concert. Consider that the seating room for concerts at the ACC is listed at 19 800, that means at least 15 000 people would be standing room/floor. That's highly unlikely at one concert, let alone 17.

True, and it was mentioned he's (only?) sold out 5 of those shows, not all 17.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Indeed

I remember watching Jon Bonjovi and Aldo Nova back in 84 on the overnight music video show City Limits playing table hockey against Teenage Head. Back when music was played with guitars and drums and not computers

Some people do both, and it, too, can be magical.

But I agree, U2 is better than Skrillex

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Your opinions on what TL thinks aren't really relevant. At the end of the day, it's an entertainment organization who run a giant venue. They can do as they please, and honour whichever entertainer they wish.

IMO, I think the idea is hilarious. They shouldn't raise a banner next to the Leafs greats. But it's their prerogative as an entertainment company.

Of course they can. And we can call them idiots and morons and ****tards as much as we please, and they'll deserve it, too. :nod: :rant:

I wish I could go to the game on Nov 2 and show just how I feel about this. I hope everyone there boos their heads off, regardless of whether they like Bon Jovi or not. This stuff cannot stand in the palace of our team. :shakehead

Phelan

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
They weren't clear on whether the banner would be permanent or not. It would be like Maple Leaf Garden paying tribute to Elvis or The Beatles, except apparently U2 has played the ACC an insane amount of times.

Phelan

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
They weren't clear on whether the banner would be permanent or not. It would be like Maple Leaf Garden paying tribute to Elvis or The Beatles, except apparently U2 has played the ACC an insane amount of times.

Oops, I saw "Bon" and for some reason thought it was Bono. Bon Jovi? BON JOVI????? :laugh: They don't even like him in Philly....:shakehead

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
It's really starting sound like he's wanted dead (or alive)

You guys do know he rides on a steal horse right? And carries a loaded six string on his back?

I heard he's seen over a million faces.... and rocked them all

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Do people really think of the ACC as just the home of the Leafs? Heck, the building was already under construction when it became associated with the Leafs.

And does anyone really care all that much about what is hanging in the rafters? I think I took a look at the banners the first time I was in the building but haven't really bothered since.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Salming actually wore the Blue and White. So have many other non-Canadian players. They were actual Hockey Players, not Singers.
You were the one who brought up that they aren't Canadians so don't give me this crap. You all of the sudden changed your stance because you got called out on it. Now I don't exactly like Bon Jovi being "honored" but don't make xenophobic remarks . Not everybody here was born in Canada , myself included which can be offensive. So choose your words wisely next time.

17 appearances , concerts at the ACC are roughly 20k

20,000 x 17 = 340,000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad