Oreo, official dog of the Toronto Maple Leafs

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I still can't get over the fact that the Leafs needed the money so bad that they bastardized their iconic jersey with that stupid Milk patch on it. The TikTok/Pizza Pizza/Oreo ad on the helmet in replacement of the team's logo is also super lame, too. Gross.

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
This opens the door for Tempons and maxi pad sponsorship. No matter what the players or fans think about it, if the $$ are high enough someone will rationalize the move.

Arena names for sale, just a matter of time till team names are sold too... Money is all that matters these days in pro sports.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
just a matter of time till team names are sold too ... Money is all that matters these days in pro sports.
+ Like

wouldn't surprise me at all.

this will be an intermediate stage.

1728346207626.png

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
This opens the door for Tempons and maxi pad sponsorship. No matter what the players or fans think about it, if the $$ are high enough someone will rationalize the move.

Arena names for sale, just a matter of time till team names are sold too... Money is all that matters these days in pro sports.

How old are you?

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
How old are you?
Probably older than you, but I still don't think that is an appropriate question for this forum. If you have issues with something I have said, by all means express yourself, that is what this forum is for, not for backhanded personal insults.

It's funny I see how the family of Prince has sold his music to commercial interests even though Prince himself would never do so. I wonder how long before someone sells the name of a player, even the name of a hall of famer, and if they could legislate that all refences to that name must now be legally updated.

I could imagine a lot of broke and down and out stars, wouldn't mind getting that final pay day to be called McCain Fries, AIG Insurance... if you could legally enforce it, people might even sell their loved ones legacy, just like Prince's family sold his music. This is not that far fetched. Metta WorldPeace did it in basketball, how long before some company convinces someone to have the last name Nike, and then every dunk and every point scored is followed by their trademark.

Like I said this is a slippery slope, and sports franchises seem to keep slipping on that slope for $ every decade. I hate European uniforms, but its only a matter of time till those too come to north America as well.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Probably older than you, but I still don't think that is an appropriate question for this forum. If you have issues with something I have said, by all means express yourself, that is what this forum is for, not for backhanded personal insults.

Sorry, I was actually curious. I didn't mean it rhetorically and I thought older so don't think I was trying to say you're childish. The jump to feminine products as the horrible future this could lead to admittedly took me off guard. Surely there are products and companies that would be higher on the list of stains on a jersey.

Reactions: no2ninja

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
Sorry, I was actually curious. I didn't mean it rhetorically and I thought older so don't think I was trying to say you're childish. The jump to feminine products as the horrible future this could lead to admittedly took me off guard. Surely there are products and companies that would be higher on the list of stains on a jersey.
Yes, I agree, the comment was made partially in jest. I say partially, because this game is no longer purely about hockey, its about selling products. The hockey captures the viewer for 2 and a half hours, but every commercial, every board, every helmet is there to sell you on something. Even if its only $20-30 monthly on a cable package, or $300 for an NHL pass. Jerseys, hats, and guess what, people will buy jerseys and helmets with the same advertising sponsors because they want it to be authentic just like the players.

That said look what is happening in the NFL, Taylor Swift sightings are making the NFL brass drool. Little girls are sitting down with their fathers to Sunday night football hoping to get a glimpse of Taylor Swift or Travis Kelce. The sponsors are salivating. If you asked them if they would rather see a never before set record in a game, or Taylor Swift visibly at the game, they all would opt for the latter.

This is what I mean about the possibility of pushing women's products on a sponsorship. At some point some company will do it for shock value, and to stand out from the market. They will fork over boku bucks, to put a known women's product on an NFL jersey. Not only to be the first to do so, but also as a statement of women's power and equality, and the NFL will take the dollars. Some exec will say, this will do for football what Taylor Swift relationship has done for the leagues publicity. Girls will then buy those jerseys to further push the trend.

In this context, the tempon ad is not that far fetched... society is changing, no one expected same sex marriage, and I could see sports being a visible medium to the public to also be pushed to a higher inclusivity of the sexes.... maybe not now, but in the future this may not be so far fetched.

BTW I am 51.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad