Opinions on Fabian Lysell's future

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
Non-Bruins fan, just asking about Lysell. In doing some research on Lysell, I see a lot of perspectives that he will be a bust to him still being a talented prospect with a bright future. Even though he has had two solid AHL seasons, some feedback is that he is a soft Swede who can't handle the NHL, which is why he went back home to Sweden this offseason. He definitely has talent and with Debrusk gone, seems like he has a great chance to grab a top 6 spot this year. What are everyone's thoughts on Lysell's NHL future?

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
How is a 20 year old point per game AHL winger a bust? I'll agree, he didn't have a great camp last year but he had a good season. He was allowed to start in the AHL at 19 (a year earlier than most juniors), so even if he spends another entire year in Providence he will still be right where most junior players are at age 22.

All that said, I think he is the favorite for the 2nd line RW slot. His coach talked about the growth he had in his two-way game last year and the job is there for the taking.

Last edited:

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Non-Bruins fan, just asking about Lysell. In doing some research on Lysell, I see a lot of perspectives that he will be a bust to him still being a talented prospect with a bright future. Even though he has had two solid AHL seasons, some feedback is that he is a soft Swede who can't handle the NHL, which is why he went back home to Sweden this offseason. He definitely has talent and with Debrusk gone, seems like he has a great chance to grab a top 6 spot this year. What are everyone's thoughts on Lysell's NHL future?
We are very high on our top prospect in these parts.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Would be HUGE for the Bruins if Lysell can step in and contribute. Cost controlled, still on his ELC, talented...I'm hoping Lysell takes this opportunity and runs with it. I'm sure management has put the bug in his ear about it but I'm hoping some of the veteran leadership has reached out to let Lysell know this is a huge off-season for him and to train hard.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
There are a lot of similarities between Lysell and DeBrusk (when he was that age) so if he works hard enough he might be able to grab that spot on the roster. Maybe not for a full season and he will have growing pains for sure but it's his for the taking if he has the drive and will to take it.

It's a big IF though.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
He’s walking into a phenomenal opportunity, situation, and locker room

It’s on a platter

Elias Lindholm & Hampus Lindholm a couple of countrymen could pay off real big here

Pasta & Marchand are the types that will do everything to make it easier on him

I seen him play having a Providence mini season ticket pack and no denying he’s skilled and plays fearless

there may be no better team in the NHL
1. Spot open
2. Not much competition- you play well it’s yours
3. Organization loaded with leaders, support, Swede hockey royalty
4. He will play with experienced talent

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
He’s walking into a phenomenal opportunity, situation, and locker room

It’s on a platter

Elias Lindholm & Hampus Lindholm a couple of countrymen could pay off real big here

Pasta & Marchand are the types that will do everything to make it easier on him

I seen him play having a Providence mini season ticket pack and no denying he’s skilled and plays fearless

there may be no better team in the NHL
1. Spot open
2. Not much competition- you play well it’s yours
3. Organization loaded with leaders, support, Swede hockey royalty
4. He will play with experienced talent

Emphasis on 1 and 2! Bruins typically have their prospects start at the bottom and work up.

Handed a top 6 role? Based on his profile it will be a disappointment if he cannot fit in and be the missing top 6 forward.

Reactions: DKH

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Trading our top prospect for a 31 year old pending UFA whose contract this year would necessitate trading another higher paid piece off the roster to fit him in? Makes almost too much sense not to happen.

or moving him for Tyler Boucher...

The Bruins used UFA, trades and the draft to beef up across the depth chart this offseason. Now, they glaringly lack speed, skill and creativity. Lysell fits the bill for that. With a little luck, he can be a game changer for the top 6. There is literally no point in trading him without seeing what he can do at the NHL level.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
From his coach in Providence.

“Fab had huge steps this year,” Mougenel said. “Again, we forget how young Fabian is at times. We had him as a 19-year-old and the maturity that he’s shown in his game has been great to see . . . It’s been two years for Fabian where the light started to go on really early on this year that — you play well in your own end, it translates to offense. He’s such a special player. He’s a special kid and all these offensive-gifted players, they have some sort of deficiency, especially defensively and I think, his is really starting to come along. I think he’s gonna push.”

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
You are amazing lol
I would like Vatrano back, and I'm not sold on any of the prospects, so Marchand-Coyle-Vatrano/Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta. Better option than either Lysell or Geekie in the top 6 and you have two lines that will produce.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I would like Vatrano back, and I'm not sold on any of the prospects, so Marchand-Coyle-Vatrano/Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta. Better option than either Lysell or Geekie in the top 6 and you have two lines that will produce.
I thought you were joking not going to lie. What if lysel turns into a Speedy 50 point winger? I don’t see why he can’t. Seems to have the tools. The skating alone should excite you. His skating is elite. He is an nhl player to some degree I’d imagine.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I have been down on Fabian for quite a while, given Mark Divver's low opinion and those scouts, NHL scouts, with whom he has spoken. The assessments were harsh.

Also recall, Ryan Mougenel called Lysell out in no uncertain terms earlier this season for freelancing, not being a team player, etcetera.

However, it is clear that the need for secondary scoring, primary scoring in actuality, appears to dictate that the Bruins will give Lysell every opportunity to nail down a second or third line role.

That's fine with me. Opinions seem to have changed about his game, and they might as well find out what they've got in this player.

PS Merkulov will get a chance too.

If Boston can solve its scoring problem internally, that would be the best outcome.

We shall see.

Last edited:

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Vatrano had 37 goals last year with the Ducks, Lysell had 15 in the AHL. Vatrano is a known commodity, he will score at least 20 goals with Marchand and Coyle, Lysell will probably do very little and wind up back in Providence. His speed is great, I don't see what else he is bringing to the team. Give me the sure thing over a very, very questionable NHL prospect.

If he can come into camp, not be all about himself, work hard and play a two way game it would be great, we have seen little to none of that in the first two seasons in the AHL. Would love to see him get 15-20 goals but I cannot see it happening. Everybody said I had no idea what I was talking about with Spooner and Khokhlachev and how they would be good to very good NHLers and it was the mean coaches not giving them a chance. Where are they now?

Reactions: Kegs

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I have been down on Fabian for quite a while, given Mark Divver's low opinion and those scouts, NHL scouts, with whom he has spoken. The assessments were harsh.

Also recall, Ryan Mougenel called Lysell out in no uncertain terms earlier this season for freelancing, not being a team player, etcetera.

However, it is clear that the need for secondary scoring, primary scoring in actuality, appears to dictate that the Bruins will give Lysell every opportunity to nail down a second or third line role.

That's fine with me. Opinions seem to have changed about his game, and they might as well find out what they've got in this player.

PS Merkulov will get a chance too.

If Boston can solve its scoring problem internally, that would be the best outcome.

We shall see.
I think the "freelancer" and "independent contractor" comments have more to do with his personality than his game. He's always been a great passer. I've heard some folks wonder if he's on the spectrum in terms of his awkwardness socially. I honestly don't know and not trying to make excuses, just putting it out there because it's been discussed on some podcasts.

Reactions: GordonHowe

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think the "freelancer" and "independent contractor" comments have more to do with his personality than his game. He's always been a great passer. I've heard some folks wonder if he's on the spectrum in terms of his awkwardness socially. I honestly don't know and not trying to make excuses, just putting it out there because it's been discussed on some podcasts.
Who are the "some folks" opining on a mental and cognitive diagnosis of a 21 year old kid? People who have spent a lot of time with him? This is pretty shady.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad