OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not all deflections are the same.

I mean could Bob have made a spectacular save somewhere along the way? I guess. Is he not as good as Shesterkin? No, and this is my bigger point.

Bob was not bad in any way today. Not today, nor in the loss on Friday, giving up one goal(a back door slam dunk) in regulation. Obviously he pitched a lightly worked shut out in game 1, so no issues there either.
I thought the OT winner was not good in game 2. In fact, most people thought it was worse than I did. It wasn't terrible, but it was definitely one he could have had.

So because Shesterkin is better, do you think that this means maybe that's why Shesterkin makes saves like the one on Tkachuk late in regulation and the one in the 3rd when it was tied on a one timer, where Bob gave up goals on sort of similar chances today?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It won't, but Florida has not looked like a team that's about to flip a script
I don't think so either.

How many cup finals appearances are you really gonna get out of Paul Maurice as head coach and an over the hill Bobrovsky, who only just had his first long playoff run last year?

I'm afraid this is their best chance too. They'll probably be a worse team on paper next year, if not just slightly. Bobrovsky had a Panthers career year this season. That's not really who he is at this stage of his career. And Paul Maurice is probably still gonna be there with his glasses and tissue thin hair, still popping into press conferences like a drunken comedian.

Remember, they almost missed the playoffs last year when Bob had a regular season more in line with the 2020s era Bobrovsky and with Paulie Eyes behind the bench. I think if they don't do it this year they'll wind up one of those playoff teams that just kind kicks around and does nothing. Like Boston since 2020 or Pens/Caps since their last cups. Probably not quite to the Pens/Caps level YET. More along the lines of Boston. Or even like Tampa the last couple years.

Of course they could always make moves that keep them elite, but it seems like this is their last chance for now with this squad at the cup.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's just their year. It's six wins away. Florida isn't anything special and neither are these dooky west teams.

Doesn't matter if they are kind of mid, the red sea parted for them
It's only 7 wins away for Florida , Dallas & Edmonton. Florida is actually a pretty good team and certainly not "mid". Pretty awful take on them and even the 2 teams out West.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I don’t care who’s in net if they get outplayed like they did in the third they aren’t winning this series. Florida just ran out of time

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It's only 7 wins away for Florida , Dallas & Edmonton. Florida is actually a pretty good team and certainly not "mid". Pretty awful take on them and even the 2 teams out West.
Florida ain’t mid but the two out west I believe are. This is the cup whoever wins the East imo. Florida is way too good to go out with a dud

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still like the Oilers over the Rangers. Even with the massively lopsided goalie matchup that heavily favors the Rangers. But Skinner's best goalie may just be yet to come in these playoffs.

Dallas is still the best team the Rangers will have played these playoffs if they get in over the Oilers.

The Capitals aren't playoff caliber at all. We all know it. That's why virtually the entire world picked the Rangers to sweep them and they did.

The current Canes squad hasn't won a game beyond the second round. They're not a serious cup threat. Especially not with a has-been like Andersen in nets. I always said if they're gonna make a run it's gonna be with Kochetkov. Not with the Andersen's and Raanta's or other nursing home resident has-been's of the league.

The Panthers made a long run last year. Many times a team that made a long run the year before just don't make it back as far the next year. Some of them even go out in round one.

I thought the Panthers would beat the Rangers about a week or two before the series started, but I saw some red flags at the end of that Boston series. Whatever they did in game 5.....They needed to end it that night. Instead that looked pretty awful and had to fly all the way back to Boston for a game 6. And they didn't look particularly impressive in game 6. It looked like that was gonna be a potential loss for a while that night. And the one game I think we all forgot about in that series, before the Panthers won 3 in a row was game 1 where Boston ran them out of the building. I have little recollection of that game, but it almost looked a little like today's, only without the Panthers actually getting as many goals and never really being in that one.

Reactions: Dialamo and My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Florida ain’t mid but the two out west I believe are. This is the cup whoever wins the East imo. Florida is way too good to go out with a dud
The Oilers have McDrai

They've been underrated by many people all throughout these playoffs. They have as good of a chance as any with those guys.

And many had them left for dead after Vancouver went up 3 games to 2 against them.

I said last year after the Oilers were eliminated that I think they win one of the next three cups, barring one or both of those guys being off the team. So it might as well be this year.

If Skinner can actually play well for one or two f***in rounds then they can start running teams out of the building.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
it’s 2-1 and the rangers have been thoroughly outplayed in 2 of the games. some of you guys needs to step off the ledge before anointing them eastern conference champs and then reacting as if that’s the current reality
Otoh what happens if some of their big names DO wake up? Then the f***ers will be unstoppable

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Bob was horrible today. It was Vitek like.
What goal did he give up that was really bad ? Maybe the Lafreniere toe drag goal that the Panther defenseman got smoked on...every other goal was a redirected shot or a a very well placed shot that most goalies aren't saving.

Some of you guys are ridiculous with your takes. This forum is losing its credibility latley.

Reactions: Homedresser

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What goal did he give up that was really bad ? Maybe the Lafreniere toe drag goal that the Panther defenseman got smoked on...every other goal was a redirected shot or a a very well placed shot that most goalies aren't saving.

Some of you guys are ridiculous with your takes. This forum is losing its credibility latley.
Yes, because there is credibility in arguing the Panthers let Bob down much worse than the Rangers did to Igor today. Which is what you’re arguing if you’re gonna defend Bob’s play today.

Once again, Igor stopped some of those chances that were goals today.

Last minute save on Tkachuk was similar to a couple of the goals on Bob.

Igor also made a save on a one timer that hit him when the game was tied at 4 in the 3rd. Very reminiscent to the Goodrow shorthanded goal that goes through Bob and up into the net.

If you really wanna gaslight people into believing the Panthers were actually worse today. And that they let their goalie down worse than the Rangers did to Igor.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bob has had a mediocre playoffs. Especially in comparison to last year’s.

His numbers are right around Andersen’s. Vasilevskiy’s are a little better behind a way worse team that got smoked by Bob’s team in 5 games. Swayman’s were significantly better. He really hasn’t been the better goalie in the first two rounds, despite his team being a ton better and he’s off to yet another series start of not being the better goalie. Only this time his team is down 2 games to 1.

“Well he got a shutout in game 1!” Ohhhhh second career playoff shutout! That ties him with Akira Schmid on the all time list.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
Yes, because there is credibility in arguing the Panthers let Bob down much worse than the Rangers did to Igor today. Which is what you’re arguing if you’re gonna defend Bob’s play today.

Once again, Igor stopped some of those chances that were goals today.

Last minute save on Tkachuk was similar to a couple of the goals on Bob.

Igor also made a save on a one timer that hit him when the game was tied at 4 in the 3rd. Very reminiscent to the Goodrow shorthanded goal that goes through Bob and up into the net.

If you really wanna gaslight people into believing the Panthers were actually worse today. And that they let their goalie down worse than the Rangers did to Igor.
The Panthers managed to play pretty well today when it came to certain parts of the game like generating offense , drawing penalties and large stretches of offensive zone time. They also had some bad defensive hiccups on the 2 Lafreniere goals. 1 being a breakaway and 1 being a defender getting turned burned by a toe drag. Also giving up a shorthanded goal is never a good thing. Especially when it is off of a dump and chase by the penalty killing team....

Do you really think Igor is saving that overtime goal that went from being a shot to the chest/upper body that changes direction a few feet infront of him via a deflection into the top corner ? The Lafreniere breakaway backhander was a perfectly placed shot into the top corner as well. Goalies have a hard time reading those backhanded shots as well which make them harder to stop. Even the Barclay Goodrow shorthanded goal was a onetimer that went practically post and in. The puck flew out of the net after it crossed the goal line. Bob got beat on literally every goal that was either deflected or a pure skillfully placed shot. The only one he honestly he a good chance at was the Lafreniere toe drag goal. The Panthers did alot of good things this game they can build off of but their defense got taken advantage of when it had its lapses. You can look at the scoreboard and say Bob had a rough night...but the fact is he isn't really the reason they lost that game. I don't think you really have much of a counter argument to that.

How was the save Shesterkin made on Tkachuk with 40 seconds left similar to any of the goals that Bob let in ? He let in 2 breakaway-ish goals , 1 one timer and 2 deflection goals. Not a shot from 5 feet infront of him that the player (Tkachuk) pretty much shot right into him. Bob would of stopped that and if he didn't than I could understand the argument of him costing them the game.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Panthers managed to play pretty well today when it came to certain parts of the game like generating offense , drawing penalties and large stretches of offensive zone time. They also had some bad defensive hiccups on the 2 Lafreniere goals. 1 being a breakaway and 1 being a defender getting turned burned by a toe drag. Also giving up a shorthanded goal is never a good thing. Especially when it is off of a dump and chase by the penalty killing team....

Do you really think Igor is saving that overtime goal that went from being a shot to the chest/upper body that changes direction a few feet infront of him via a deflection into the top corner ? The Lafreniere breakaway backhander was a perfectly placed shot into the top corner as well. Goalies have a hard time reading those backhanded shots as well which make them harder to stop. Even the Barclay Goodrow shorthanded goal was a onetimer that went practically post and in. The puck flew out of the net after it crossed the goal line. Bob got beat on literally every goal that was either deflected or a pure skillfully placed shot. The only one he honestly he a good chance at was the Lafreniere toe drag goal. The Panthers did alot of good things this game they can build off of but their defense got taken advantage of when it had its lapses. You can look at the scoreboard and say Bob had a rough night...but the fact is he isn't really the reason they lost that game. I don't think you really have much of a counter argument to that.
I don’t know that Igor stops that deflection that won the game, but I do know that Igor stopped deflections today and I’m pretty sure Bob stopped one or two himself.

At some point you need to make a save on a breakaway. It’s okay to stop them sometimes.

Bob is no Igor, certainly not at this point in his career.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
I don’t think anyone is realistically comparing Bob to Igor

Igor is clearly the best in the world
Jake Oettinger is throwing up similar numbers to Igor these playoffs and he is only 25. His goals against average is better than Igor's this playoffs and his save percentage is roughly the same.

Thatcher Demko had better numbers than Igor too this season and he also didn't play on a President's Trophy winning team.

Swayman had better numbers than him the playoffs this year too and that Boston team has a significantly weaker roster than the Rangers.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jake Oettinger is throwing up similar numbers to Igor these playoffs and he is only 25. His goals against average is better than Igor's this playoffs and his save percentage is roughly the same.

Thatcher Demko had better numbers than Igor too this season and he also didn't play on a President's Trophy winning team.

Swayman had better numbers than him the playoffs this year too and that Boston team has a significantly weaker roster than the Rangers.
None of these guys are really in his class.

That doesn’t mean Oettinger can’t beat him in a playoff series or even Skinner for that matter.

Demko had a not very good season just last year. I know he was injured, but it happened.

Swayman has yet to really be a true 1a or starting goalie. I think he can do it, but I’m just saying he hasn’t gotten the chance to be that yet.

Vasilevskiy is in his class, but even he had a down/injury year. I remember when he outplayed Bob two rounds ago, but no one noticed that because of how much better the Panthers were than the Lightning.

Credit where it’s due. Igor is the best. He’s a top-2 goalie in the entire world at worst.

These other guys aren’t in his class yet.

It doesn’t mean he can’t be outplayed by Anthony Stolarz for the rest of this series, in the unlikely event that Stolarz somehow took over because Bob got injured or something.

Camille the Eel

It never really had any :laugh:
It has some but you have to adjust a fair amount for the emotions of the moment. When I’ve for example been rooting hard on a game I’ve been watching with frustration, or am seeing a team I hate win, I’m liable to overstate takes and I reckon (from reading) that a majority of posters sometimes do this.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The Rangers have become a very resilient team. I knew once it went to overtime they would win. Igor is the Russian wall and Alexis Lafreniere is becoming a star. He’s gotten faster, his shot has become dangerous. He’s turning into the player that was drafted first. The Rangers seem like a team of destiny. I picked them to win the cup and I’m staying with that pick.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
The Rangers have become a very resilient team. I knew once it went to overtime they would win. Igor is the Russian wall and Alexis Lafreniere is becoming a star. He’s gotten faster, his shot has become dangerous. He’s turning into the player that was drafted first. The Rangers seem like a team of destiny. I picked them to win the cup and I’m staying with that pick.
I can’t be reading stuff like this whether it’s true or not. I like to believe the rangers are getting lucky and surviving all game just to capitalize on the few chances they get. I do not want to believe they are a team of destiny. I believed so bad the 2012 devils team was a team of destiny only to lose to LA

If the rangers win the cup this year, it wouldn’t just be a depressing summer. We will hear about this forever just like 94 and all my rangers friends will never live it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad