OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

Camille the Eel

Watching Segin - even at this point when he’s clearly had some career altering injuries - reminds you how Boston’s trading him in his prime because they didn’t like his “attitude” has to be one of the worst hockey decisions of the contemporary era.

What did they get, Reilly Smith and Loui Erickson and some change?

The Bruins made some really bad decisions during that period. That draft when they had 3 first rounders and came out of it with Jake Debrusk and Lauzon is another one that jumps to mind.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Second 0-0 game tonight well into the 3rd period

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Send up the bat signal for the one goal (non-empty net) in this game on Oettinger.

Maybe not. Guy was right in front of him on the one angle.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Vancouver has to be the weakest team to advance to the second round in a loooong time. Is there any chance that Edmonton doesn’t completely smoke them? I think McDavid and Drai have combined for more shots per game than the entire canucks team this postseason.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Vancouver has to be the weakest team to advance to the second round in a loooong time. Is there any chance that Edmonton doesn’t completely smoke them? I think McDavid and Drai have combined for more shots per game than the entire canucks team this postseason.
I wouldn’t consider a 109 pt, 50 win, +56, 5th in Goals Against, 6th in Goals Forced team, which finished 6th overall, a weak one. Them making the second round isn’t anything earth shattering

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens say hi.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The 2020-21 Montreal Canadiens say hi.
Well I’m not sure if they were the worst team to make the second round of the playoffs in however many years.

But they were by far the worst cup finalist from 2006 through now. Maybe even weaker than the 2006 Oilers. I mean, they had Carey Price and Shea Weber, who were both better than anybody Edmonton had that year.

Actually, didn’t Chris Pronger play on those 06 Oilers? I take back the claim that Weber was better than anybody they had.

The Canadiens had a couple of notable weaker deep run playoff teams in fairly recent history. The 2010 team that made the conference finals was pretty damn mediocre. I think they only even made it in with 88 points, though the Flyers finished with the same number of points that year I think and made the SCF after knocking that Canadiens team off in the ECF. That team was pretty much pushed through two rounds by Halak.

The 2014 Canadiens that lost to the Rangers in the ECF were also nothing worth bragging about. That was Price, Subban and……and……and…… I can’t think of too many other players worth naming. And then they lost Carey Price in game 1 after Kreider ran him.

One other notable weak team were the 2012 Coyotes who made the WCF. That was merely a hot run from Mike Smith. Even hotter than the 2010 Halak run for Montreal. 35 year old Shane Doan was their best player after Mike Smith.

Quite a few mediocre teams have made the second round. I’ve forgotten almost all of them, but I can remember those listed as ones that made one or both of the last two rounds.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I wouldn’t consider a 109 pt, 50 win, +56, 5th in Goals Against, 6th in Goals Forced team, which finished 6th overall, a weak one. Them making the second round isn’t anything earth shattering
Meh, they had a very average second half of the season and they were the second worst looking team in the first round to my eyes behind the capitals. I think they got lucky in those first two wins in Nashville. They barely generated any shots all series. I don’t see a more potentially lopsided second round matchup than the Vancouver-Edmonton one.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, I think Vancouver overachieving was a big storyline of this season.

They aren’t a bad team, but they aren’t really that good either. Way worse teams made the playoffs though. Like Washington and the Islanders. Both are significantly worse. Boston may not even be better than Vancouver, despite masquerading as such.

It’s more surprising they’re doing this without Demko than the fact they’re doing it at all, but they’ve only won 3 games without him so far.

I really don’t give them much of a chance against Edmonton. Same goes for Nashville. Edmonton would have obliterated either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Bruins can only wish that last year they drew someone like the Islanders or some shit and not a team too good to be the 8th seed and just barely got in. I think they would have beaten the Islanders last year pretty handily.

This year they just aren't that good, though I still think they would have beaten the Capitals in 5 games if they got them this year, if not a sweep.

I think they absolutely do miss Bergeron and maybe even Krejci, but it didn't really show with where they finished in the regular season.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This might be the first time I’ve ever seen people other than leafs fans rooting for the leafs. Lol

Camille the Eel

The Bruins can only wish that last year they drew someone like the Islanders or some shit and not a team too good to be the 8th seed and just barely got in. I think they would have beaten the Islanders last year pretty handily.

This year they just aren't that good, though I still think they would have beaten the Capitals in 5 games if they got them this year, if not a sweep.

I think they absolutely do miss Bergeron and maybe even Krejci, but it didn't really show with where they finished in the regular season.
The Bruins are the living example of just how far truly superior goaltending and defensive structure will take a team that has one great player (Pasta) and one very good one (Marchand).

They should be exhibit A for anyone who’s argued that if we had a truly elite goalie and good defensive coaching and buy in, we would have easily clocked 100 plus points this year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Bruins are the living example of just how far truly superior goaltending and defensive structure will take a team that has one great player (Pasta) and one very good one (Marchand).

They should be exhibit A for anyone who’s argued that if we had a truly elite goalie and good defensive coaching and buy in, we would have easily clocked 100 plus points this year.
To be fair McAvoy is also great and they have a lot of solid complementary players. But they along with the Islanders show that goaltending and team commitment to checking and defense can slow the game down to a slog better suited for a tier 3 soccer league basically forcing it to OT.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think I want Boston to lose just because I think they’re due for it after overachieving all season long.

But if they do win then they’ll only get beat by Florida next round. And it’ll probably be written off to Florida just being a juggernaut, which is true, but I think Boston is due for some regression.

This feels like we’re going into the game 7 from 2013 between these two teams. Where the Leafs were being touted as being on a long PDO bender that lasted the entire season. And I don’t believe anyone ever had a 3-1 lead in that series. I just remember 3-0 Toronto like halfway through the 3rd period turning into 3-3 and then 4-3 Boston in OT.

That was one of the more shocking huge momentum change and endings to a game 7 that I can remember. The only one I remember more recently than that was the 2019 game 7 between Vegas and the Sharks. Vegas were up 3-0 in the 3rd. They took a major penalty which was a fortuitous call for the Sharks (that the league would later apologize to Vegas for lol) and shouldn’t have been a major and they wound up scoring 4 goals on it all in the final half of the 3rd period to take the lead. Vegas tied it with the goalie pulled late in regulation before superstar Barclay Goodrow and his 5 minutes of ice time all night scored the OT winner.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

To be fair McAvoy is also great and they have a lot of solid complementary players. But they along with the Islanders show that goaltending and team commitment to checking and defense can slow the game down to a slog better suited for a tier 3 soccer league basically forcing it to OT.
Not sure I would call McAvoy “great.” But that’s arguing about semantics. I think of him as a complementary player in your terms. He skates well, hits aggressively on the puck too, and controls the game in front of him to a degree but not to the level of Quinn Hughes this year or of for example Jossi, Hedman in his prime, or makes the defensive impacts of Sergachev or that we’ve seen from McDonough over the years.

I guess I’m just not that impressed by McAvoy. I rate him at a level below that of about 10 to 15 other defenders in the league right now. But to be sure a very good and important player for them. They’ve got a number of good defenders. Lidberg (or what’s his name?), Carlo, even Grzelcyk all fill good roles for them too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad