OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's been countless people who dunked on him in the GDT when we beat Nashville in a blowout in Nashville as to how did he get outcoached by Lindy and all the schadenfreude going in this thread with what happened to Nashville in this series v Vancouver so I beg to differ lol

The one thing I will pin on Bruno is their powerplay looking awful in this series v Vancouver and has cost them games on its own, it was an issue for us last year as well for the elite talent we had. As much as we want to shit on Green about the PP, it looked pretty damn good when he had Dougie and Luke didn't hit a damn wall but Travis Green still blows lol. Saros has looked disgustingly bad in this series as well, getting outplayed by every Canucks goalie is a laughable for a guy who's been in rumors to being moved to a contender
I think the power play was about top 8-10 before Dougie got injured in expected goals. So a little better than where it was last year, but not by much.

It plummeted to 27th at one point in expected goals (5 on 4) and I think it was 23rd for a while there before Lindy got fired.

I think our power play last year was consistent in conversion rate to where it was expected to be. It was the year before. I think 32nd in both percentage and expected goals and Recchi was announced as fired the day Fitz first spoke.

This year I think we were 12th in percentage and around 25th or 27th in goals expected at 5 on 4.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’ll never understand the reasoning for challenges. The war room looked at the goal and didn’t buzz down but when they challenge they look and say no goal? Why do sometimes they buzz down and others don’t

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There's been countless people who dunked on him in the GDT when we beat Nashville in a blowout in Nashville as to how did he get outcoached by Lindy and all the schadenfreude going in this thread with what happened to Nashville in this series v Vancouver so I beg to differ lol

The one thing I will pin on Bruno is their powerplay looking awful in this series v Vancouver and has cost them games on its own, it was an issue for us last year as well for the elite talent we had. As much as we want to shit on Green about the PP, it looked pretty damn good when he had Dougie and Luke didn't hit a damn wall but Travis Green still blows lol. Saros has looked disgustingly bad in this series as well, getting outplayed by every Canucks goalie is a laughable for a guy who's been in rumors to being moved to a contender
Well losing to US deserves to be dunked on lol

Of course I’m being facetious but you gotta expect a little pushback when you guys have been pumping his tires and complaining about Fitz ‘letting him go’ all year. Almost wish he had stayed and Lindy got put out to pasture to see how everyone’s brains would have broken when we still came up four or five points short of the playoffs.

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

You don’t see the hip check in the NHL any more. To the point where the “tripping” call on Montour at 9:18 was in fact a perfectly legal hip check that the referees now don't even know how to recognize.

Jeannot is playing the puck and advancing in mid - ice just over the blue line. Montour, instead of taking him on upright bends at the waist, gets leverage underneath Jeannot and takes him out, not cutting his feet or ankles out from under him, but simply by levering him over. The refs call it "tripping." Give me a break. Johnny Bucyk or Ted Lindsey would have spent their careers in the penalty box if the game had been called that way.

It's gotten so rare that the referees don't even know what it is. How is that "tripping?" You haven't cut the skates or legs out from under anyone. It may be interference if the timing isn't right but certainly not roughing or tripping.

I'm sorry to see the hip check go. Properly done it was an art.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Well losing to US deserves to be dunked on lol

Of course I’m being facetious but you gotta expect a little pushback when you guys have been pumping his tires and complaining about Fitz ‘letting him go’ all year. Almost wish he had stayed and Lindy got put out to pasture to see how everyone’s brains would have broken when we still came up four or five points short of the playoffs.

How does Brunette taking a far shittier personnel deserve to be mocked with how our year went? I guess you can laugh a bit at Brunette for losing to Vancouver not having their goalies but they've outplayed Saros like I said but there's nothing else he deserves to be laughed at considering the differences in our rosters.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People keep harping on the Nashville roster as if they had 65 point talent. They had 90+ under HYNES last year, and I don’t think he’s as good a coach as Brunette either. Not like their roster changed that much from one off-season compared to the last two decades when they’ve been in the exact same range. And our roster this year wasn’t quite as good as it’s made out to be either, especially factoring in injuries but that’s another rerun debate for the team thread.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That was one of the lousiest rebounds I've seen since Vitek kept popping them out of his glove.

I mean, I see lousy ones like that, they just don't results in goals very often.

And he had more than enough time to stop the second shot and it still went through him.

I'm actually surprised they're not slagging him for that, I'm guessing if it were Charlie Lindgren or Casey DeSmith they probably would be.

Reactions: Patrik26

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
People keep harping on the Nashville roster as if they had 65 point talent. They had 90+ under HYNES last year, and I don’t think he’s as good a coach as Brunette either. Not like their roster changed that much from one off-season compared to the last two decades when they’ve been in the exact same range. And our roster isn’t quite as good as it’s made out to be either, especially factoring in injuries but that’s another rerun debate for the team thread.

Yes because everyone expected Gustav f***ing Nyquist to score 75 points lmao

Awful rebound to give up.

This game was kinda cooked when TB blew those PP chances + disallowed goal. Florida is one of the worst teams to play trying to come back on

Reactions: Patrik26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes because everyone expected Gustav f***ing Nyquist to score 75 points lmao

This game was kinda cooked when TB blew those PP chances + disallowed goal. Florida is one of the worst teams to play trying to come back on
Yeah I really didn’t expect a team that had 97 and 92 points the last two years with Hynes to be anywhere close to 99 this year under a slightly better coach.

Rosters are more than just who has the most high end forwards…defensemen and goalies count too. Role players count too. Their organizational structure predated Brunette.

I’m more than happy to slag Saros for being down 3-1 and getting outgoalied by bums but in the regular season he still would have been miles better than our goalies for at least 90% of the season.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I feel like people forget the Lightning sweep of the Panthers that year happened in the second round. The Cats did win a round that year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah I really didn’t expect a team that had 97 and 92 points the last two years with Hynes to be anywhere close to 99 this year under a slightly better coach.

Rosters are more than just who has the most high end forwards…defensemen and goalies count too. Role players count too. Their organizational structure predated Brunette.

I’m more than happy to slag Saros for being down 3-1 and getting outgoalied by bums but in the regular season he still would have been miles better than our goalies for at least 90% of the season.

It has nothing to do with their actual roster composition, all their guys have been monsters offensively under Brunette. Forsberg had his first 90 point year, Josi had his second best year offensively, the aforementioned guys like Tommy Novak and Gustav Nyqvist all of sudden becoming point producers with the latter this late In his career. I don't really want to continue to hash this convo over and over but it's just stupid imo to mock him as a Devils fan considering what we saw in 22-23. And that's great considering we're slagging a coach for not being able to produce results in the playoffs but we're willing to trade elite assets for a goalie who's .907 in the playoffs career wise to take the next step.

I feel like people forget the Lightning sweep of the Panthers that year happened in the second round. The Cats did win a round that year.

They barely survived v Washington and needed some insane comebacks in that series tbf

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I agree but people also felt the Caps were a faux playoff team THAT year never mind now lol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not gonna pretend Florida didn't look underwhelming in that Capitals series. I was saying it back in 2022. They almost lost that series. They tied the game with the goalie pulled (Game 4?) when they were down 2-1 in the series, then proceeded to win that in OT, along with the next two games.

I don't blame Brunette so much. They were still a very new team to the playoffs at the time. They made the bubble playoffs, where they got offed by the Islanders before the real playoffs even started. Then they put up a good fight against Tampa in 2021, I think the series was tied at 2 at one point before they lost the next 2 games and got eliminated.

I'm still skeptical they're gonna beat the Lightning tonight. They appeared to tie it but it's disallowed.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't trust the Panthers not to let the Lightning back into this series. I really don't. I think I picked the Panthers in 7. I know I picked the Panthers to win, but I don't trust them to close this one out tonight.

If they don't win tonight then I think they're headed for a real scare. Not a series loss, just a scare.

The Panthers need to score on this power play. They need to put this away, because the Lightning are coming right now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm starting to get real flashbacks to Sharks/Kings 2014.

I don't think it'll go that way but if they lose this game I think there's a game 7. It'll be like Sharks/Red Wings in 2011 (or was it 2010? they played both years and it sent them to the conference finals both times) where they blow the 3-0 series lead but still gut it out in game 7.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I don't trust the Panthers not to let the Lightning back into this series. I really don't. I think I picked the Panthers in 7. I know I picked the Panthers to win, but I don't trust them to close this one out tonight.

If they don't win tonight then I think they're headed for a real scare. Not a series loss, just a scare.

The Panthers need to score on this power play. They need to put this away, because the Lightning are coming right now.

Part of me agrees but I just don't see it from this year's Tampa Bay. I'm waiting for Vasy to take over this series to scare the f*** outta of Florida but it hasn't happened yet. He's been good after the 2nd goal but they're not winning this series with this Vasy showing up

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If the Panthers do blow this it’s yet another example of how the mindset with expectations (two years ago, now) is completely different than the mindset without expectations (last year)

Reactions: Oneiro

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Part of me agrees but I just don't see it from this year's Tampa Bay. I'm waiting for Vasy to take over this series to scare the f*** outta of Florida but it hasn't happened yet. He's been good after the 2nd goal but they're not winning this series with this Vasy showing up
I think he's been pretty good this series. That first goal was awful though.

I think this is more about Florida wildly outplaying them then Vasilevskiy being outplayed by Bobrovsky. I don't think he's been outplayed by Bobrovsky at all.

In fact, when watching one of THG's videos on this series, he said ''Vasilevskiy's been good, but he's been outdueled by Bobrovsky'' and I very rarely comment on a video, but I had to comment and point that out.

He actually had better numbers than Bobrovsky after 3 games and I'm sure it's still better after game 4.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the Panthers do blow this it’s yet another example of how the mindset with expectations (two years ago, now) is completely different than the mindset without expectations (last year)
I wonder if old Paul (I remember when he was super young Paul lol) survives a potential reverse sweep? Todd McLellan did, despite no finals appearances at all (2 conference finals though), let alone the year before. Not to mention Todd had been there for YEARS at that point. Like 6? Only 2 years for Paul Eyes.

I keep seeing that rando one second Goodfellas character Mickey Eyes every time I see him with those glasses.

He probably will survive. I'm sorry for talking like the Panthers are gonna be reverse swept. This game just already feels tied.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Florida looks poised to make another run. That teams run was certainly no fluke last year. Yeah Vegas outplayed them pretty badly but this is a ene year and Florida made a few roster tweaks. They are built like how I would like the Devils to be. It's a veteran heavy team that is loaded with good 2 way players and plenty of skill.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This series has been very close by score (probably because of Vasilevskiy) in these games, despite Florida really outplaying Tampa.

Florida looks poised to make another run. That teams run was certainly no fluke last year. Yeah Vegas outplayed them pretty badly but this is a ene year and Florida made a few roster tweaks. They are built like how I would like the Devils to be. It's a veteran heavy team that is loaded with good 2 way players and plenty of skill.
I really think this Lightning team could be their biggest challenge. At least in the East.

Once they exorcise this demon that is Tampa I think they're gonna be off and running again.

I could easily see them in the finals. Or I could see the Metro playoff winner beating them, though I think they're better than both teams.

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023
You don’t see the hip check in the NHL any more. To the point where the “tripping” call on Montour at 9:18 was in fact a perfectly legal hip check that the referees now don't even know how to recognize.

Jeannot is playing the puck and advancing in mid - ice just over the blue line. Montour, instead of taking him on upright bends at the waist, gets leverage underneath Jeannot and takes him out, not cutting his feet or ankles out from under him, but simply by levering him over. The refs call it "tripping." Give me a break. Johnny Bucyk or Ted Lindsey would have spent their careers in the penalty box if the game had been called that way.

It's gotten so rare that the referees don't even know what it is. How is that "tripping?" You haven't cut the skates or legs out from under anyone. It may be interference if the timing isn't right but certainly not roughing or tripping.

I'm sorry to see the hip check go. Properly done it was an art.
the art to the hip check is timing. let the skater think he has beaten you. then get on that outside edge

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Panthers playing like the Travis Green 3rd period special.

They better try to keep pushing.

Looks like they're just trying to win this game 2-1.

Nice

They got a break on one of the few chances this period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad