OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I think the Oilers and Avalanche are better than the Rangers. I think those two teams might be better than anyone in the East.

Vegas is a wild card. And I don’t mean by seeding or the standings. I mean they can go either way if healthy.

Dallas is good, they’re just older. One of those two is definitely has to go out this round.
I think any of those 4 west teams are better than any east team except maybe the panthers.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Somebody please ask PK’s broken stick (who has me blocked for bashing our goalies, unless they’ve since unblocked me) how the Rangers next opponent is gonna be “relatively easy”? Carolina? Really? They even took the Rangers to 7 with Antti Raanta and had them on the ropes 3 games to 2 until Raanta choked game 6 away.

Unless this person thinks the Islanders are actually coming back to reverse sweep Carolina.

Rangers doom, which I can understand. Do you think Blizter writes us an apology letter?

Reactions: Dialamo

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I think the Oilers and Avalanche are better than the Rangers. I think those two teams might be better than anyone in the East.

Vegas is a wild card. And I don’t mean by seeding or the standings. I mean they can go either way if healthy.

Dallas is good, they’re just older. One of those two is definitely has to go out this round.
I think the Rangers have some of the clearest weaknesses of all the teams likely headed to the 2nd round. 5v5 scoring and depth.

Their 7 even strength goals (believe they're all 5v5) is the lowest among all teams likely to move onto next round (Carolina, Boston, Florida, Colorado, Edmonton, Vancouver), lower than a few teams likely to get bounced (Toronto, Nashville, Tampa, LA, Winnipeg) and probably below Dallas and Vegas after tonight (they're both at 6 through 3 games). Tied with the Isles above only the awful Caps. To be fair they were leading a majority of the time and playing more defensively.

Their depth actually played pretty well. 3 ES goals and 1 SH, 25 shots in limited minutes in 4 games. They've been quick to shorten their bench in close games whether leading or trailing and they didn't get much bottom 6 production during the year. I think almost every contender has a crap/mediocre 4th line except Carolina and Vegas but most are made of defensively sound vets. By ice time the Rags have Rempe Cuyle and Kakko, all 22 or younger. The Rangers probably have the worst 3rd line of the bunch in addition.

Carolina: Lack a real 2C

Florida: Bob has been pretty mediocre.

Colorado: Georgiev? Crap game 1 but much better since

Edmonton: Not sure?

Additionally think Dallas and Vegas are up there, 3 really close games in what's probably the series with the most overall talent in round 1. Sucks one team has to go home but one of Van/Nash move on.

Dallas: Otter, but if he finds his game from 2 years ago they're going all the way

Vegas: So far all of their offense has come from their top 6 and one D-pair

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
2 more seasons at least are necessary. Maybe even 3 at the rate he is declining? It’s starting to feel like the end of Alex Rodriguez’s baseball career.

I ignore the Yankees so the comparison doesn’t compute but

after this slow start:
IMG_6463.jpeg

He did this:
IMG_6462.jpeg

Not that worried about his decline and I think it takes two seasons at most to get 41 goals.

A number of people decided he needed to retire/be bought out before he heated up in his second half.

He had the most goals & the second most points on his team, if they had better players presumably he could’ve had more.

He’s got John Carlson and Dylan Strome feeding him and that’s it.

Reactions: Alex NJD

Camille the Eel

He was fine in the second half. As I understand he has some injury issues and was much better after the rest. Death of his father effected him too. He is human still.
65 points is a good "declining". 31 goals is more than any Devils forward has. Small people like the fall of big Individuals, but after the "all stars game" break it does look like that people should wait a little bit more.
I doubt he scores 20 in a single season again. At that age once the injuries start they are often chronic. That he will continue to decline is certain. At what rate is however impossible to tell. Your and @guttersniped’s view represents the best case scenario.

This playoff series followed the hot spell. These last 4 games could well represent the future.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I doubt he scores 20 in a single season again. At that age once the injuries start they are often chronic. That he will continue to decline is certain. At what rate is however impossible to tell. Your and @guttersniped’s view represents the best case scenario.

This playoff series followed the hot spell. These last 4 games could well represent the future.

How do 4 playoff games represent the future of his next regular season more than his last 46 regular season games?

The playoffs are a different animal and his team sucked. He’s the biggest goal scoring threat on that team, it’s not hard to neutralize one line and the Rags have a top PK.

Does the Toronto star’s playoff production represent their future too?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I hate the Rangers as much as the next guy here, but its unfair to say this team is bad. They're a lot better than the team the Devils played last year. They made smart deadline trades for the first time in forever. If they're going to fail, its because their defense is poorly constructed. Forwards are deep and goaltending is good.

Canes are also a lot better than last year so I wouldn't be surprised of either team getting past the next round.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

4 games in play off isn't what you can call "representative". What we can call "representative" is his season and previous career. He is already slow but still productive.
Anyway its just talk. There are no any real arguments. He can stop and retire, he can score 31 goals next season. Will see.

Camille the Eel

How do 4 playoff games represent the future of his next regular season more than his last 46 regular season games?

The playoffs are a different animal and his team sucked. He’s the biggest goal scoring threat on that team, it’s not hard to neutralize one line and the Rags have a top PK.

Does the Toronto star’s playoff production represent their future too?
Because at his age the one thing that is absolutely certain, 100% percent certain, is eventual decline and decreasing production. The only question is at what rate. What does the curve look like.

Can he pull a Tom Brady and come back next year and score 45 goals, smash the record and ride into the sunset tall in the saddle? Sure it’s possible.

Also possibly next year looks a lot like this one only less productive.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
At this point they probably do want to keep him happy for next year. The following year he will be so close to the record the team can move on from him in terms of play style and roster makeup and just let him play most of the time on power plays to gather whatever goals he needs. Depending upon when he breaks the record does he quietly ask for a trade to a contender if the team starts to deteriorate over the next couple of seasons?

He collects the puck from the net and skates off the ice, never to play another minute in the NHL.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Not even 20 goals in a season again? I think he can do that quite easily, unless he misses a lot of games with injury.

I'm sure he could easily do 20 again. 30? I think so. 40? More than likely not.

He just scored 23 goals in his last 35 or 36 games, after scoring only 8 goals in the first 43 games he played this year. He's not as bad of a goal scorer as he was the first 43 games, when he wasn't even pacing for 20. I also don't think he's as good as his second half, where he scored at a 50+ goal pace.

I think what we saw in the second half was the good ole' market correction.

I don't think he's back to a 50 goal scorer because that's how he scored in the second half. I also don't think he was ever gonna finish with only 16 or however many goals he was on pace for in the first half, barring injury preventing him from playing enough games to surpass that 16.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Barring a catastrophic injury, I think Ovechkin will stick around long enough to break the record. And the Caps will make space for him for as long as it takes.

It just may take longer than we initially thought.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Barring a catastrophic injury, I think Ovechkin will stick around long enough to break the record. And the Caps will make space for him for as long as it takes.

Barring missing a lot of games due to injury, he should break it by some point in the 25-26 season. Could be earlier in that season or it could be later in that season.

We’ll have a pretty good idea by the end of next season, and see how far he is by that time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It would kind of suck to see Ovechkin barely limp across the line rather than sprint across it, but at this point it looks like that's probably going to be the case, unless he regresses so badly next year that he just calls it quits.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

agree, 9.5M for two more seasons and then a one year contract at league minimum, no doubt the caps would want him to have the record and will accomidate him

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's pretty simple what it means.

It means Brunette can't coach in the playoffs because his Panthers (who had little playoff experience at the time) couldn't not get swept by a Tampa team that was en route to their third straight finals and had just come off back to back cups. And he can't coach because this Predators team that's sooooooo good can't beat the Canucks lol.

Yeah it's beyond weird at this point that this fanbase is dunking on Bruno when we'd kill for him back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah it's beyond weird at this point that this fanbase is dunking on Bruno when we'd kill for him back.
He deserves the Jack Adams. Nashville aren't good. It'll go to Carberry because of the FLUKE that was the Capitals playoff berth. I've been pumping the meme that Nashville were merely living off the fumes of their contending teams for a year or two now. They're sort of the Western Conference answer to the Capitals and Penguins if there was one.

They've now somewhat gutted that team, but added older vets like McDonagh and Ryan O'Reilly to help compensate.

If I'm them I DON'T re-sign Saros.

They overchieved this year. They could overachieve again next year, but they could have easily finished where Minnesota did or possibly even around the 80 point line.

I'm wondering if the idea here is to finish between 7th and 12th the next few years, because they're no contender or team that should be able to do damage here.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL nobody is dunking on him except Wysh
I don't know, it felt like some people were dunking on him in this thread, if not subtly. And his coaching in that game was definitely questioned. I don't know, I'm not saying it wasn't deserved cause I didn't watch the game and I don't know what that was in regards to, other than the Canucks scoring 2 goals in the final 2 minutes of regulation to tie and then winning a minute into overtime.

I will say I enjoyed the Mexican lager comment. It took me a second to get that reference. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tampa is in my mind the strongest of the lower seeds in the East.

That includes both the number 3 divisional teams. The Islanders are basically the recyclables to the Capitals trash. And the Leafs look dead.

Florida probably would have rather have played the dead Leafs this round. Them swooping in and winning the division on the last day or two (I think they were in 2nd by a few points a week before?) drew them Tampa.

I don't think they're dropping four straight. But I also wouldn't surprised if this goes a little too longer than their liking.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
LOL nobody is dunking on him except Wysh

There's been countless people who dunked on him in the GDT when we beat Nashville in a blowout in Nashville as to how did he get outcoached by Lindy and all the schadenfreude going in this thread with what happened to Nashville in this series v Vancouver so I beg to differ lol

He deserves the Jack Adams. Nashville aren't good. It'll go to Carberry because of the FLUKE that was the Capitals playoff berth. I've been pumping the meme that Nashville were merely living off the fumes of their contending teams for a year or two now. They're sort of the Western Conference answer to the Capitals and Penguins if there was one.

They've now somewhat gutted that team, but added older vets like McDonagh and Ryan O'Reilly to help compensate.

If I'm them I DON'T re-sign Saros.

They overchieved this year. They could overachieve again next year, but they could have easily finished where Minnesota did or possibly even around the 80 point line.

I'm wondering if the idea here is to finish between 7th and 12th the next few years, because they're no contender or team that should be able to do damage here.

The one thing I will pin on Bruno is their powerplay looking awful in this series v Vancouver and has cost them games on its own, it was an issue for us last year as well for the elite talent we had. As much as we want to shit on Green about the PP, it looked pretty damn good when he had Dougie and Luke didn't hit a damn wall but Travis Green still blows lol. Saros has looked disgustingly bad in this series as well, getting outplayed by every Canucks goalie is a laughable for a guy who's been in rumors to being moved to a contender

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00