One Player Per Franchise (All-Time) Draft signups

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If you ever considered participating in an All-Time Draft on this forum, but felt like it would be too time consuming, too competitive, etc., consider signing up for this fall's One Player Per Franchise Draft.

It's like a smaller low-pressure All-Time Draft with a twist: Each time can draft only one player per NHL franchise. (For the sake of simplicity "pre-NHL," USSR, and CSSR are considered "franchises").

Here's a link to last year's OPPF draft, with the rules in the OP:
OPPF Draft 2020 - Draft Thread

Here's a link to last year's roster thread:
OPPF 2020 - Roster Thread

And here's a link to the thread where you can sign up this year if interested:
One Player Per Franchise (OPPF) draft - preliminary interest thread

Signups open until Oct 1 or thereabouts

Reactions: BenchBrawl

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So let me guess this right. A player who has played for two or more teams counts as someone picked for that team?

Like Ray Bourque would count as a Boston and Colorado pick? Or just Boston?

Jagr would count as a every NHL team pick and a Czechoslovakia pick?

Bourque would count for Boston. Jagr for Pittburgh. There is a list of "close call" players included in the OP of last year's draft.

USSR and CSSR are for guys who had their primes outside the NHL

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Bourque would count for Boston. Jagr for Pittburgh. There is a list of "close call" players included in the OP of last year's draft.

USSR and CSSR are for guys who had their primes outside the NHL

Is there a rule that in the close call people one can choose which team they’ll fulfill? Like say, Roy with either the Habs or the Nords/Avs? Someone can draft him and say which one he is?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Is there a rule that in the close call people one can choose which team they’ll fulfill? Like say, Roy with either the Habs or the Nords/Avs? Someone can draft him and say which one he is?

From last year's draft (pretty sure this list has just been copied since the first OPPF draft):

Here's a list of close-calls (players who played for multiple franchises almost equally):

Patrick Roy: Montreal
Chris Chelios: Chicago
King Clancy: Ottawa
Ron Francis: Hartford/Carolina
Bill Quackenbush: Detroit
Marian Hossa: Ottawa
Larry Murphy: Pittsburgh
Mark Recchi: Philly
Mark Messier: Edmonton
Al Macinnis: Calgary
Red Kelly: Detroit
Sprague Cleghorn: pre-NHL
Joe Malone: pre-NHL
Lanny McDonald: Toronto
Pat Lafontaine: Buffalo
Ed Belfour - Chicago
Adam Oates - Boston
Keith Tkachuk - Winnipeg/Phoenix
Doug Gilmour - Toronto
Joe Mullen - Calgary
Babe Siebert - Montreal Canadiens
Vincent Damphousse - Montreal Canadiens
Harry Cameron - Toronto
Newsy Lalonde - Montreal Canadiens
Rob Blake - LA
Scott Niedermayer - NJ
Ed Westfall - Boston
Max Bentley - Chicago
Ryan Suter - Minnesota Wilds
Chris Pronger - St. Louis
Rod Brind'Amour - Hartford/Carolina
Brent Burns - San Jose
Dan Boyle - Tampa Bay
Claude Lemieux - NJ
Clint Benedict - Ottawa
Max Bentley - Chicago
Marty Barry - Detroit
Roy Conacher - Chicago
Sergei Gonchar - Washington
Ed Belfour - Chicago
George Hay - Pre-NHL
Zigmund Palffy - LA
Frank Fredrickson - Pre-NHL
Brad Pratt - Toronto
Mike Peca - Buffalo
Brad McCrimmon - Philadelphia

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Those are a list of players, but it doesn’t say if you can choose which team they’re a member of

The teams inside his list are the teams those players are assigned to. Trust me, this draft is a lot of fun and a puzzle alright, given the crazy decisions you have to make sometimes.

There might be a huge superstar and an "OK" player, but if you pick the superstar you burn a strong franchise, leaving you with fewer options down the road. So there's a balance to take care of.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
No, you cannot choose. The choice is predetermined before the draft starts.

I think that’s a bit silly. Only because of the earlier part of the draft determines your direction.

Like Minnesota/Dallas. Say Bobby Smith, Modano and Neal Broten are gone. You might wanna draft Larry Murphy or Mike Gartner to make up for that offensive skill. But if its already set, then you won’t wanna take them (or can’t).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think that’s a bit silly. Only because of the earlier part of the draft determines your direction.

Like Minnesota/Dallas. Say Bobby Smith, Modano and Neal Broten are gone. You might wanna draft Larry Murphy or Mike Gartner to make up for that offensive skill. But if its already set, then you won’t wanna take them (or can’t).

You're not forced to pick from Dallas, there are more franchises than there are roster spots available. Also, being in the situation of having to choose between Mike Modano or Jean Béliveau (with Mo you only burn Dallas, with Béliveau you burn Montreal, the strongest of all franchises), when Béliveau is clearly a better player, is exactly why this draft is so amazing.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The teams inside his list are the teams those players are assigned to. Trust me, this draft is a lot of fun and a puzzle alright, given the crazy decisions you have to make sometimes.

There might be a huge superstar and an "OK" player, but if you pick the superstar you burn a strong franchise, leaving you with fewer options down the road. So there's a balance to take care of.

Fair enough. I just think if someone selects a depth guy from one team (say they really liked the guy or whatever), it shouldn’t eliminate them from picking someone else that may have come through the franchise, especially the suitcase type guys.

Like, I picture Larry Murphy with the Leafs, but only because of him constantly being irrationally booed. I don’t picture him as someone with one franchise (Kings, Minnesota, Pens, Leafs or Detroit). He’s just… there (or not there).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Fair enough. I just think if someone selects a depth guy from one team (say they really liked the guy or whatever), it shouldn’t eliminate them from picking someone else that may have come through the franchise, especially the suitcase type guys.

Like, I picture Larry Murphy with the Leafs, but only because of him constantly being irrationally booed. I don’t picture him as someone with one franchise (Kings, Minnesota, Pens, Leafs or Detroit). He’s just… there (or not there).

Try it out, you'll see what I mean and 2$ you agree with me at the end of it. This constraint is exactly why you must choose wisely. Say there are 9 teams overall playing the game. Well the 9th GM who saved his Montreal franchise can wait till the very end of the draft, and pick the 9th best Montreal player... which is someone of the caliber of Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson or Henri Richard. Now if he burned MTL, he might be stuck with mid-level (Philly, LA, etc) or weak franchises, and get players like... Ryan Suter or Dan Boyle or even worse. Nothing against Suter or Boyle, but they're no Larry Robinson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad