Apr 30, 2009

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
View attachment 896929

@Bobieque @DavidHasselhoffsFist
@Three On Zero Nice work on your bbq skills and I don’t want to make you jealous but when I microwave these babies up for 2 minutes with some packaged bacon bits, chili flakes and shredded Tex Mex it is to die for. Feel free to copy the recipe.
Right on, right on…

OK, years ago I came across a beans recipe that I’ve adapted enough to call my own. Easy peasy, and super good:

-Canned Beans
-Apple pie filling
-Chipotle BBQ sauce (or a Maple Chipotle, or your favourite BBQ sauce)
-Chipotle Spice
-BBQ Sweet Rub
-Leftover Bacon, and/or Ham, and/or Pulled Pork

Play with your amounts, after I open the apple pie filling I usually cut it up with a knife while still in the can. I find trying to pulse it in a food processor will turn it into apple sauce.

Honestly the most requested dish I make. Very good “taste and add’ to give balance. Turns out Salty/Sweet/Heat very distinctively.

I use a Crock Pot but anything will do to cook it up.

Enjoy! :thumbu:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Attachments

• IMG_0276.png
    IMG_0276.png
    746.8 KB · Views: 1

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Right on, right on…

OK, years ago I came across a beans recipe that I’ve adapted enough to call my own. Easy peasy, and super good:

-Canned Beans
-Apple pie filling
-Chipotle BBQ sauce (or a Maple Chipotle, or your favourite BBQ sauce)
-Chipotle Spice
-BBQ Sweet Rub
-Leftover Bacon, and/or Ham, and/or Pulled Pork

Play with your amounts, after I open the apple pie filling I usually cut it up with a knife while still in the can. I find trying to pulse it in a food processor will turn it into apple sauce.

Honestly the most requested dish I make. Very good “taste and add’ to give balance. Turns out Salty/Sweet/Heat very distinctively.

I use a Crock Pot but anything will do to cook it up.

Enjoy! :thumbu:
You had me on everything except the apple pie filling, that’s just doesn’t seem right. I trust your judgement though

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Silly person. Everyone knows the can can’t go in the microwave. But yes to the twig.
Here's a hillbilly suggestion for Canada Day. If you have a microwave you're ready to turf, hang on to it until the evening of July 1. Then take it outside, plug it in, and stick a whole whack of foil and tin inside it, close door, sit back in your chair, hit start and watch the fireworks display.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Somewhere there is a joke in there about the public transportation being much simpler and cheaper

Honestly, I wish we had a strip somewhere in Edmonton with those nice neon signs. Just gives a different vibe and feeling when you see that stuff.

Blanchette Neon used to be a big sign company that did neon. We had neon on our buildings from them. Expensive as hell to maintain and repair but they do look cool. The Telus building near the rink shows off some of the old cool neon signs.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Was that in the same location as the Paramount? It looks the same but I thought the Paramount pre-dated the fifties.
Both were in the same vicinity. The Paramount (also a beautiful theatre, was considered the nicest in the west when it opened in the early '50's) was at 10233 Jasper Ave (believe a church was in it's location until a few years ago), while The Strand was located at 10209 Jasper Ave (it was demolished in the late 70's). Lots of nice theatres (Varscona, Garneau, Princess, Rialto, Odeon) in town at the time. While not as nice, our hangout as a kid was Studio 82 on a Saturday afternoon, watching double feature Godzilla movies, while mice ran up and down the aisles.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Both were in the same vicinity. The Paramount (also a beautiful theatre, was considered the nicest in the west when it opened in the early '50's) was at 10233 Jasper Ave (believe a church was in it's location until a few years ago), while The Strand was located at 10209 Jasper Ave (it was demolished in the late 70's). Lots of nice theatres (Varscona, Garneau, Princess, Rialto, Odeon) in town at the time. While not as nice, our hangout as a kid was Studio 82 on a Saturday afternoon, watching double feature Godzilla movies, while mice ran up and down the aisles.
I remember all the theatres you’ve listed but I’m drawing a blank on where the Odeon was located. I moved back to Edmonton in 1985 and can remember going to both the Rialto and Odeon then. Neither lasted much longer. Rialto if I’m remembering correctly was just north of Jasper Ave on 101 street but I can’t recall the Odeon.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I remember all the theatres you’ve listed but I’m drawing a blank on where the Odeon was located. I moved back to Edmonton in 1985 and can remember going to both the Rialto and Odeon then. Neither lasted much longer. Rialto if I’m remembering correctly was just north of Jasper Ave on 101 street but I can’t recall the Odeon.

Here's a bit more info on where it was located.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Here's a bit more info on where it was located.
Okay now I remember, right beside the old Bank of Montreal building on the south east corner of Jasper Ave and 101 street.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I wonder what year that photo is from.

Growing up in the 80’s in YEG I never would have guessed how pretty that stretch of downtown was, and how boring and unattractive it became…
1950s

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jasper ave facing east at 102 Street View attachment 897174
Back in the day when you could actually use one of 2 lanes to drive in and nothing was torn up or blocked off every 100 yards. Amazing how far we're come!

Why is it that the only time CANADA makes the news here in the UK it is when there is a crack smokin mayor, a fire or the PM has his shirt off. The fires in Jasper has made the news here
I imagine the Jasper fires have made the news world wide because it isn't some little no name hick town that got burned. It is a known world wide iconic place with some of the most incredible scenery on earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad