GDT: Once Upon a Time...In Newark - Red Wings @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ill go on record as saying Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is one of the best films over the past 5 years. It's like the hockey equivalent of the Red Wings, except the exact opposite.

We are a big movie family and my kids like Inglorious Basterds more than Once Upon A Time. I absolutely loved Once Upon A Time. My wife is still loyal to Pulp Fiction.
As an aside this was a great year for movies. Except I didn’t like the Lighthouse. That’s two hours of my life I won’t get back.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
3p55xc.jpg

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I looked up the term "Snooker" and i'm like "Isn't it a game of Billiards?".

"Snooker" sounds too much "snookie" to me. lol
You wound me, but generally yes, it is a cue sport.

A very complex and difficult cue sport, makes 8 and 9 ball look like toddler games.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I don’t understand how Snooker works at all. 8 and 9 ball is easy peasy

Basically, get the highest score to win.

There are 15 red balls, each worth 1 point.
There are coloured balls - Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue, Pink, Black - each worth 2 - 7 (in order listed).

To score points, you must first pot (sink) a red ball, then any of the coloured balls, then another red, then another colour and so on until someone wins. (the coloured balls are respotted in their position on the table when there are still red balls in play).

The difficulty is: the table is 12' x 6', with a directional cloth (meaning the ball travels up table differently than down table), and the pockets are much tighter (so you generally cannot use the pocket edges to pot a ball due to the angles of the pockets being more closed and rouned, so you need near perfect aim). The cue is also longer but thinner, with the tip being, on average, 9.5mm (vs. a standard 8 or 9 ball cue being 12mm) and heavily rounded. The cue is the same size and weight as the target balls (in 8 and 9 ball the cue is lighter than the target balls).

There are also some rules that make the game harder, such as a scratch is worth 4 to 7 points to the non-shooting player; the game must end, after all red balls are potted, with the coloured balls being potted in the above listed sequence; hitting the wrong ball (not potting it, just hitting it) awards the ball's value to the non shooting player. Plus a billion other rules that are somewhat situational.

All of the table factors and potting rules don't even begin to get into the need for cue and ball control (being able to hit a ball and force the cue ball to cannon back up the table off a screw (fancy term for the ball spinning and moving in the opposite direction)), and the tactical play (setting your opponent into a Snooker (basically using ball control to plant the cue ball behind a colored ball focring the opponent to use multi-rail banks to hit a legal red ball target or the next sequenced color).. very complex and nuanced.

I've been playing 9 ball for 10 years and am decently good at it, at snooker... I am decently garbage.

This will give you an idea of the high-level control needed to play snooker:

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Basically, get the highest score to win.

There are 15 red balls, each worth 1 point.
There are coloured balls - Yellow, Green, Brown, Blue, Pink, Black - each worth 2 - 7 (in order listed).

To score points, you must first pot (sink) a red ball, then any of the coloured balls, then another red, then another colour and so on until someone wins. (the coloured balls are respotted in their position on the table when there are still red balls in play).

The difficulty is: the table is 12' x 6', with a directional cloth (meaning the ball travels up table differently than down table), and the pockets are much tighter (so you generally cannot use the pocket edges to pot a ball due to the angles of the pockets being more closed and rouned, so you need near perfect aim). The cue is also longer but thinner, with the tip being, on average, 9.5mm (vs. a standard 8 or 9 ball cue being 12mm) and heavily rounded. The cue is the same size and weight as the target balls (in 8 and 9 ball the cue is lighter than the target balls).

There are also some rules that make the game harder, such as a scratch is worth 4 to 7 points to the non-shooting player; the game must end, after all red balls are potted, with the coloured balls being potted in the above listed sequence; hitting the wrong ball (not potting it, just hitting it) awards the ball's value to the non shooting player. Plus a billion other rules that are somewhat situational.

All of the table factors and potting rules don't even begin to get into the need for cue and ball control (being able to hit a ball and force the cue ball to cannon back up the table off a screw (fancy term for the ball spinning and moving in the opposite direction)), and the tactical play (setting your opponent into a Snooker (basically using ball control to plant the cue ball behind a colored ball focring the opponent to use multi-rail banks to hit a legal red ball target or the next sequenced color).. very complex and nuanced.

I've been playing 9 ball for 10 years and am decently good at it, at snooker... I am decently garbage.

This will give you an idea of the high-level control needed to play snooker:

Sounds kind of reminiscent of Hynes' defensive system.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Stuck with the Fox Sports Detroit feed, and they are running a commercial saying how their announcers are "the best in the NHL" and acting like they are these legendary and iconic broadcasters. You have to be kidding me, these guys are awful.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Stuck with the Fox Sports Detroit feed, and they are running a commercial saying how their announcers are "the best in the NHL" and acting like they are these legendary and iconic broadcasters. You have to be kidding me, these guys are awful.
They are AWFUL.

Mickey Redmond is the worst color commentator in hockey. Watch when they score a goal. He totally talks over the PBP guy and goes ''WOW!'' as if it's the most greatest goal or hockey play he's ever seen. And sometimes he'll even do a ''Oh yeah! WOO!'' during the goal call. He's pathetic.

And their PBP guy is also brutal.

He has an orgasm whenever the Red Wings score, like he's calling some cup clinching goal from 98.

They're TRASH. But the color commentator Mickey Redmond is really an obnoxious and pompous ass.

Reactions: Blender

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I really do like Damon quarterbacking the PP. I think he has the best combination of vision and passing among our Dmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad