On paper are the Oilers better or worse than they were last season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

On paper are the Oilers better or worse than they were last season?

• Total voters

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
But how impactful is that loss? He wasn't a core piece. The difference between Ceci and Stecher/Emberson isn't going to as big as the upgrades at forward
For better or worse, Ceci averaged the 3rd most minutes for Edmonton’s blue line and the 3rd most minutes out on the pk. Lofty expectations to expect Stetcher/Emberson to jump in and average over 19 minutes a game

archangel2

May 19, 2019
While they have 8 d. Only 2 are actual nhl d men. Oilers arebin for a very long season. All goalie and D? I don't see Leon and Mcdavid hanging around much longer

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
So they got him Arvidsson and Skinner? I assume RNH-McD-Hyman won't be broken up. Kane and Draisaitl I don't think have ever looked good together, too slow. Draisaitl centering those two seems good on paper but in practice I'm not so sure. They're both small players, so even more of what is usually the bulk of the puck protection, net front, board play, and defensive physicality falls on Leon. He plays insane minutes for a guy with his frame. He was really wearing down those last two rounds of the postseason.

I mean they're good players, sure they'll score some goals. Skinner is horrible defensively and that's not something that Draisaitl excels at really either but the guy can finish. Arvidsson nice player for sure but that grit and tenacity are probably diminished being a ten year vet that missed most of last year. Mostly would be concerned with how that line would perform on the boards. Lots of games are won and lost on board battles.

Yea it's hard to say, I'm sure they'll try all sorts of combinations. Skinner will get looks with McDavid, RNH could be flipped to the second line or even 3c with Henrique or Brown moving up. Arvidsson has always been tenancious on the puck and a prick to play against when the Oilers faced the Kings / Preds

Admittedly havent watched a lot of Skinner over the years, but if McDavid can turn Hyman into a 50 goal scorer he might be able to work some magic with Skinner too

Draisaitl is good on the wall, he just needs someone who can find open ice and convert his passes consistently which none of those other guys were able to. I agree Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson might be a bit of an adventure defensively, especially with Ekholm and Bouchard essentially being stapled to McDavids line under Knoblauch

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Worse. The defence looks very rough. Offence improved, but not enough to offset the defence. Of course the game is played on ice, not on paper though.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Better but still concerned for them. They were winning based more on defense last year, not offense, and they just lost 2/3 of the RHD and their best PKer.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
depends on what a full offseason of the Knob can do

I thought EDMs defense was a trainwreck even before they lost those players, but they all played very stout in the playoffs with his system

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For better or worse, Ceci averaged the 3rd most minutes for Edmonton’s blue line and the 3rd most minutes out on the pk. Lofty expectations to expect Stetcher/Emberson to jump in and average over 19 minutes a game
Ceci did okay but in a very conservative role. The newcomers might not be as good but as long as they fit into the system they should be fine.

Besides this was by design because we wanted to replace Ceci for a long time, because he's not top 4 quality on a contender. It's not really a downgrade if it will be fixed before the playoffs.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Edmonton will cruise in the running for the top of the Western Conference for most of the season. Whether or not that translates to the post season will depend on what they do at the TDL. If they go into the playoffs with the current D, I don't like their chances but make a splash for a top 4 guy then I have them as the favorites.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Apparently people are Ceci fans now..

Funny how that works.. This place man :laugh:
Yeah, apparently it's "lofty expectations" for somebody to replace Cody Ceci who was universally mocked by those same posters over and over again as an Oiler. Funny how that works.

Reactions: MessierII

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Forwards are better, defense is worse, goaltending is the same.

Unless that defense gets an upgrade I don't know that I would call them better than last year.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
They cannot find their best game until they are down. This is a team that CANNOT take the bull by the horns out of the hopper. They have to be down to find their game. It's a recipe for inevitable failure. As seen this year and in years past. They start seasons poorly and cost themselves home playoff dates. They start series poorly. the only series they have won and never been down at all is against L.A this year. In the Last 3 playoffs! EVERY series they have won in the last 3 years.. they've been down in.

We talk about personal and what not but that's not the Oilers number 1 issue. This team is average at best when on even terms with other teams. They're one of if not the best team in the league when their chips are down. Start season like ass.. omg miss playoffs.. miracle winning streak... we're back baby! Go down 0-3 in Cup final.. rattle off 3 wins.. we're back baby!

We can talk about that one or two players that change out like it matters much. But I don't agree. The Oilers problem is they dip their toes into everything and never take the initiative.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
So the ceci that everyone thought was so bad that needed a first attached is now the linchpin for the oilers defense color me surprised

They cannot find their best game until they are down. This is a team that CANNOT take the bull by the horns out of the hopper. They have to be down to find their game. It's a recipe for inevitable failure. As seen this year and in years past. They start seasons poorly and cost themselves home playoff dates. They start series poorly. the only series they have won and never been down at all is against L.A this year. In the Last 3 playoffs! EVERY series they have won in the last 3 years.. they've been down in.

We talk about personal and what not but that's not the Oilers number 1 issue. This team is average at best when on even terms with other teams. They're one of if not the best team in the league when their chips are down. Start season like ass.. omg miss playoffs.. miracle winning streak... we're back baby! Go down 0-3 in Cup final.. rattle off 3 wins.. we're back baby!

We can talk about that one or two players that change out like it matters much. But I don't agree. The Oilers problem is they dip their toes into everything and never take the initiative.
Lol what out of the last three seasons they've only had last year where they didn't have a great start but thanks for sharing you don't actually pay attention to the team and just vomit out your feelings instead

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Based on players that played most of last season the Oilers lost Mcleod, Foegele, Ceci and Desharnais and replaced them with Skinner, Arvidsson, Stecher and Brown. Holloway was supposed to be the Foegele replacement and Broberg was the Ceci replacement but now those spots are potentially going to Podkolzin and Emerton.

Like everyone else has said the forwards are better and the defence is worse but they will probably make a trade during the season to fill that #2 RD spot. As long as the team can follow the system they should be fine during the regular season. I think they still finish around 110 points during the season.

Reactions: McPoyle and PuckG

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pretty much every fanbase except for a couple of tanking teams think that their team is better than last year. Usually it’s based on overly optimistic predictions of players added and ignores players lost plus other issues.
For me the Oilers look worse. Kane is a big question mark and he’s their fourth best forward. You have to wonder if at age 33 he comes back from his injury at the same level. Eckholm holds the D together and he’s now 34. They lost their two best young players and their D looks weaker with the loss of depth and while Ceci might not be a world beater he was an important part of the PK and played second pairing minutes.
He hasn’t been replaced.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Savoie is far from NHL ready. Oilers would be worse with him in the lineup. He's not strong enough/ good enough at winning battles to be a role player, he's not developed enough to play an offensive role, and he won't crack the PP to be a specialty player.

He won't make the Oilers better for at least a couple years. Overall though, Oilers fans should temper their expectations for him, he doesn'tatch the hype he once had.

Fair... but he's a minor consideration. Our starting forwards last year were:

Nuge McD Hyman
Kane Drai Brown
Foegele McLeod Holloway
Janmark Ryan Gagner

This year it is:
Nuge McD Hyman
Skinner Drai Arvidsson
Kane Henrique Brown
Janmark Ryan Perry
With Podkolzin having a chance to slot in

The defense is certainly weaker because Ceci > Stecher and Desharnais > Emberson/J.Brown, but we also have Wanner and Kemp pushing for ice time from the AHL.

More importantly, we have a projected $4.5M to $9.5M (depending on how we manage our 21 or 22 person roster) in cap space to use at the deadline.

That's going to be huge.

Reactions: McPoyle

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Pretty much every fanbase except for a couple of tanking teams think that their team is better than last year. Usually it’s based on overly optimistic predictions of players added and ignores players lost plus other issues.
For me the Oilers look worse. Kane is a big question mark and he’s their fourth best forward. You have to wonder if at age 33 he comes back from his injury at the same level. Eckholm holds the D together and he’s now 34. They lost their two best young players and their D looks weaker with the loss of depth and while Ceci might not be a world beater he was an important part of the PK and played second pairing minutes.
He hasn’t been replaced.

Kane was not our 4th best forward even last season and far from it this season. We were also fine without him in the playoffs.

McD
Drai
Nuge
Hyman
Insert: Skinner
Insert: Arvidsson
Insert: Henrique
Kane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad