OT: Olympics: Lineups, Predictions, Hockey Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think if Canada doesn't win Gold the Coaching staff will get a make over the next time around. Quinnville and Maclean will get a shot.

Tavares Crosby Perry
Giroux Stamkos St. Louis
Couture Getzlaf Carter
Marchand Toews Bergeron
(Nash, E. Stall)

Keith Letang
Pietrangelo Weber
Hamhuis Doughty
Subban

Luongo
Crawford
Price

I am making a pretty bad prediction but I think Canada was purposely placed in the weakest grouping to make us underestimate our opponents in the later rounds. I have a feeling Canada will coast through the preliminaries and run into a hot team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My team for the Olympics was always Sweden cause of Alfie and the others, now it's gonna be weird cheering on for Sweden even though they still my team cause of Karlsson and Lehner and the few ties I have with em.

What team are you guys cheering on?

Milan the God*

The groups were determined by the world rankings

This.

We won't be underestimating our opponents regardless of how weak our group is. Mike Babcock will get the team worked up and ready for the big games, much like he did in 2010. We weren't horrible against the U.S. in the round robin, but Brodeur had an awful game.

Goaltending could easily be Canada's downfall. Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, ????. Sweden, Finland and the U.S. all exceed our goaltending, probably. In a short tournament that eventually becomes decided by singular games, goaltending is incredibly important. Luongo doesn't have a good mental game, and Price is pretty overrated in my opinion.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
My order of cheering for big 7 (don't include others chances to slim)

Canada
Sweden
Slovakia

Czech Republic
Finland

Russia

USA

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
My team for the Olympics was always Sweden cause of Alfie and the others, now it's gonna be weird cheering on for Sweden even though they still my team cause of Karlsson and Lehner and the few ties I have with em.

Um, seeing as I'm Canadian, I'll be cheering on Canada. I want the Sens players to do well, but I will never understand people who cheer against Canada because Sens players may be on the other team. Totally idiotic and ridiculous.

Milan the God*

^

Russia and the United States is pretty close for me. Personally, I can't stand Russia. The fact that they've beaten us three straight years in the WJC is hard to watch. They're pretty cocky and arrogant.

I didn't mind seeing the US win Gold at the WJC this year. Obviously I would have preferred Canada, but it wasn't hard to watch the US win it. However, I hated them a lot during the 2010 Olympics.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Um, seeing as I'm Canadian, I'll be cheering on Canada. I want the Sens players to do well, but I will never understand people who cheer against Canada because Sens players may be on the other team. Totally idiotic and ridiculous.

That's nice.

Club before Nation is actually quite a popular viewing around the world, especially in other sports, too. That isn't why I'm cheering for Sweden though and doesn't mean I ain't cheering on Canada, lol.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
That's nice.

Club before Nation is actually quite a popular viewing around the world, especially in other sports, too. That isn't why I'm cheering for Sweden though and doesn't mean I ain't cheering on Canada, lol.

Except for the fact this isn't Ottawa versus Canada. If you're from Canada, you should be rooting for them first and foremost.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC

Agreed.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Except for the fact this isn't Ottawa versus Canada. If you're from Canada, you should be rooting for them first and foremost.

Club: Players within the club, not actual club.

I am from Canada and spend a lot of time in Sweden, the players in Ottawa just shift my gears to Sweden ahead of Canada.

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada

Latvia. Because I'm Latvian. Being a Sens fan makes me want to cheer for Canada and Sweden too.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'll still cheer for Canada, but they really piss me off with this Spezza ****.

That said, I'd expect the line-up to look something like this:

John Tavares - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
James Neal - Ryan Getzlaf (should be Spezza) - Martin St. Louis
Eric Staal - Jonathan Toews - Claude Giroux
Taylor Hall - Patrice Bergeron - Jordan Eberle

Duncan Keith - Kris Letang
Dion Phaneuf - Drew Doughty
Shea Weber - P.K. Subban

Carey Price
Corey Crawford
Roberto Luongo

I think that top line could be one of the best lines in the history of any tournament. Both Tavares and Stamkos complement Crosby perfectly with the way they play and their hockey sense.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I really don't see how you can not cheer for Team Canada if you're Canadian. That's pretty stupid.

Just my opinion of course.

I'm looking at you Mr. Manks or whatever your name on here is, Mr. "I'm going to cheer for USA". :facepalm:

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa
I'll still cheer for Canada, but they really piss me off with this Spezza ****.

That said, I'd expect the line-up to look something like this:

James Neal - Ryan Getzlaf (should be Spezza) - Martin St. Louis

Dion Phaneuf - Drew Doughty
Shea Weber - P.K. Subban

Carey Price
Corey Crawford
Roberto Luongo

I think that top line could be one of the best lines in the history of any tournament. Both Tavares and Stamkos complement Crosby perfectly with the way they play and their hockey sense.

:laugh:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Ugh, don't like what we're producing for goaltenders these days.

Well we've kicked the foreigners out of our development league, a band-aid on what I think is more of a minor league problem at heart. Ever so slightly increases the opportunity available for the best Canadian kids to get that development in.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
WHAT.

Why is Phaneuf on the team? Even Laff fans don't want him on our national team.

A healthy Phaneuf is a great offensive defenceman with decent defensive abilities and if he were playing with someone like Doughty or Weber who can make up for any defensive deficiencies he does have he could have a positive impact on the team.

I know it's popular to hate on Leaf players, and I don't think that Phaneuf is one of the best defencemen in the world or anything...but he's good enough to make the team.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
A healthy Phaneuf is a great offensive defenceman with decent defensive abilities and if he were playing with someone like Doughty or Weber who can make up for any defensive deficiencies he does have he could have a positive impact on the team.

I know it's popular to hate on Leaf players, and I don't think that Phaneuf is one of the best defencemen in the world or anything...but he's good enough to make the team.
No. Just, just no.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
James Neal - Ryan Getzlaf - Martin St. Louis

Classess Manked - Drew Doughty
Shea Weber - P.K. Subban

Corey Crawford
Carey Price