Ole Chant

When is it okay to start Olé Olé Olé chants?

• Never

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • During a blowout

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • With 10 mins left

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • With 5 mins left

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • In last minute of play

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Any point during the game

Votes: 25 34.2%

• Total voters

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
To me the Ole chant has always been a ''we're having a good time'' chant. Whenever the game is getting exciting, that's when it starts up and obviously that usually coincides with scoring goals and taking a lead. I'll always remember sometime in the mid-00s the chant starting up after an amazing 5 on 3 PK by the Habs after a suspect call from the referees so that chant does come up on other occasions. Hell, I've even heard during at the initial puck drop.

In the past few years, it has become perceived as a bragging/victory type chant by opposing fans which always seemed kind of funny when the actual bragging chant, NaNaNa Goodbye, is right there and ready to be fired off at a more opportune time.

Anywho, who cares, I'll never be against anything that adds more ambience to a game. To me, that's like asking NYR fans to stop chanting Potvin Sucks even though he hasn't played since the 80s.

Well, that's exactly it. In sports, ole is a chant of fan approval. They like why they are seeing.

It has never had anything to do with mocking the other team. How anyone can get offended by the lyric "ole" is beyond me. It would be like getting offended to the bland "go team go" chant.

Reactions: Treal

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Opposing players list the Bell as their favorite place to play, and that's because of the fans. The Ole'ing, the booing of star players or returning players who were disappointments, knowing the game and not just being mindless drones cheering when black rubber go in metal net.. It's what makes Montreal unique.

Someone already mentioned it but there should be more chants. I don't watch Soccer but the passion their fans have for the game is insane. Even a percentage of that here I'm happy with.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Opposing players list the Bell as their favorite place to play, and that's because of the fans. The Ole'ing, the booing of star players or returning players who were disappointments, knowing the game and not just being mindless drones cheering when black rubber go in metal net.. It's what makes Montreal unique.

Someone already mentioned it but there should be more chants. I don't watch Soccer but the passion their fans have for the game is insane. Even a percentage of that here I'm happy with.

North American sports are bit more buttoned up in general.

You go anywhere else in the world to attend not just a soccer game, but any other team sport with a reasonable following, and you will see a completely different culture from a fan engagement standpoint.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
When the Habs are up by 4+

But they can do it as they please as paying customers, thanks for funding my favorite team. 😍

Exactly, we have been bad for so long that most people have forgotten that NaNaNa Goodbye is the victory chant. Time to bring that one back to the fore with some decisive wins

Blast from the past! When was the last time?

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
I'll be honest here, I am really surprised how some of you are annoyed by, "reads notes: Fans having fun at a sporting event?"

Seriously.. is this a Francophone vs Anglophone thing? I don't even like signing in general, but I find sport chants to be pretty cool.

Bunch of uptight people ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad