Old Threads

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Anyone else just look back at old trade rumor threads, just for fun?
Every once in a while I pick some random number and just read what people thought player values were and laugh.
I did it today and saw a bunch of MTL/EDM fans saying that Nick Suzuki plus a 1st wouldn't get the even close to Klefbom. Obviously we get the benefit of hindsight when we do this but it's always hilarious.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Every once in a while I do so, but mostly I have a personal example I lean on as a reminder of how this goes: "The price for Ryan Johansen is Jordan Eberle."

That line was born around 2010 from Edmonton thirst for the #1C they desperately needed and not taking "no" for an answer, to the point that I resigned my moderator position on TR&FA so I could end every post I made on that subforum with some variant of that quotation (I was in a bit of a Cato the Censor mood). At the time, it was both defensible - per behind-the-scenes shows, that's what Columbus had demanded at the 2010 draft - and yet absurd - Eberle had just made himself the hero and leading goal scorer of Team Canada at the WJC that year, so there was no way that was going to fly, especially after his subsequent fantastic NHL debut. So Johansen remained a Blue Jacket and I kept on annoying thirsty Oil fans by repeating that line over and over.

About half a decade later, when both players were in their primes and there were Johansen trade rumors, it was equally ridiculous - the other way around. Johansen was now an established NHL center who was now meeting or exceeding Eberle's production (and would continue to do so for years beyond) and Edmonton was trapped in the basement of the NHL again; it was clear with hindsight that Edmonton would have absolutely cleaned up if they'd taken that Eberle-for-Johansen deal. Johansen was ultimately traded for a #1D in Seth Jones - adding insult to injury, as Edmonton had desperately wanted him but couldn't get a package together, and as they now had McDavid Joey could easily have been spared - oops! They rushed into making up for it with the infamous Hall-Larsson trade (which is its own convoluted storyline), and everyone pointed and laughed at this comedy of errors.

A little over half a decade after that, both players are aging out, but Eberle's done so much more gracefully and capably than Johansen has. And Johansen had a bit of a monster of a contract. So when Colorado was looking for suitors after realizing their reclamation project even at 50% was no good, suddenly Eberle-for-Johansen would have been a ripoff for the Eberle-holding team again. Joey got dumped on Philadelphia, put on LTIR, and may never play again; Eberle is still contributing for Seattle and will probably keep doing so for a year or two yet.

The moral of the story is that one should not assume what is true now will always be true, and that which looks absurd now may well have been very true then. Consider these things when reviewing the past. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I had a thread or a few threads in 2015 when leafs were shopping kessel that were horrific

One was

Kessel to Flordia for Huberdeau + Barkov + 2015 1st Crouse) and I remember as a 15/16 year old not able to understand why panther and other team fans would say no lol

Another horrible one was;

Dion Phaneuf to Vancouver for Jake Virtanen (2014 60A 1 year after drafted) + Bo Horvat (2013 9OA in his D+3 year) and a 2nd

Horrific deals that I cant believe I not only proposed but thought were fair for both teams

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
I had a thread or a few threads in 2015 when leafs were shopping kessel that were horrific

One was

Kessel to Flordia for Huberdeau + Barkov + 2015 1st Crouse) and I remember as a 15/16 year old not able to understand why panther and other team fans would say no lol

Dion Phaneuf to Vancouver for Jake Virtanen (2014 60A 1 year after drafted) + Bo Horvat (2013 9OA in his D+3 year) and a 2nd

Horrific deals that I cant believe I not only proposed but thought were fair for both teams
Hmm...

You're saying something has changed? 🤔

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Not necessarily trade threads but I wish I could find some GDTs just to relive some moments. The CuJo game where the Flames were down 3-0 and then Cory Sarich vaporized Patrick Marleau, starting the comeback in the eventual victory would be great to re-read.

Edit: I once proposed a Dustin Boyd for Brad Marchand, one for one trade.

Last edited:

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Be fun to turn this into a bit of a 'Best of Old Threads'...but that might be rough on some i'm sure!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I did it today and saw a bunch of MTL/EDM fans saying that Nick Suzuki plus a 1st wouldn't get the even close to Klefbom

What a weird example to pick. When Suzuki was drafted, he was a mid first round pick, and Klefbom was a 23 year old #1 dman (HF voted him as a top 20 dman in the league) on an absolutely insanely bargain contract (4.1 per). Suzuki and another mid 1st weren’t even close to being worth Klefbom, and if it wasn’t for Klefbom having a career ending injury, this past season is probably the first time Suzuki might have been worth more than Klefbom, and that’s not even a guarantee.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
A lot of trade proposals I’ve read here are: take our absolute junk or prospects we don’t care about for your decent roster player. Then the OP argues like he’s in court fighting for his life in order to make people see it the other way around. It’s as if wishful thinking can come true if you just apply yourself. Truth is that some of this stuff is embarrassing from the get-go.

• Haha
Reactions: MakoSlade

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There were many funny threads. Sadly, they are locked after few pages.

Wasn't there some thread "This is out house" ? Many hfboards members called it as the best thread ever.

We should have the opportunity to vote a Thread to the HFBoards Hall of Fame.

Reactions: End of Line

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Yeah I’ve done this a lot.

The best is when majority of the takes have aged like shit and you start laughing to yourself only to see your username pop up in horror parroting everything you’ve just made fun of with no memory of the thread
That’s actually happened to me multiple times. Truly humbling

One day you'll be an NHL prediction savant and look back at this post and feel ridiculous

• Haha
Reactions: tarheelhockey

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Not trade related, but this has been worthy of hysterical laughter for years...

1000000362.jpg

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

One was

I don't remember this trade proposal, but I would have laughed at that, just because I liked Barkov so much. In 2015, Huberdeau was still getting his feet wet, so I could see that but not with Barkov added to the mix.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Although I wasn't on the site at the time, no question the all time best thread in this site history was a 2006 poll, putting Carey Price against Tuukka Rask against Hannu Toivonen.

The takes in that thread were atrocious, with Toivonen winning in a landslide.

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Mike Richards is Cannon
I vaguely remember a photoshop featuring a shirtless Sidney Crosby lying on a bed of cash maybe with a creeped-out Pierre McGuire (I know, redundant) looking in through the window.

the best thread of all time was the guy whose girlfriend bought him a knockoff rangers jersey. she was cheating on him with a scientist or some shit.
Lol yes

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The actual best content on this site was early lounge stuff before social media like Facebook existed. There was some single Canadian dude living in squalor that would post cooking videos of him sifting through layers of trash to make eggshell omelettes and nonsense meals with the perfect tongue in cheek commentary to go along.

That or “Who is the best Goatlender in the league” with photoshopped Brodeur as a shepherd.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What a weird example to pick. When Suzuki was drafted, he was a mid first round pick, and Klefbom was a 23 year old #1 dman (HF voted him as a top 20 dman in the league) on an absolutely insanely bargain contract (4.1 per). Suzuki and another mid 1st weren’t even close to being worth Klefbom, and if it wasn’t for Klefbom having a career ending injury, this past season is probably the first time Suzuki might have been worth more than Klefbom, and that’s not even a guarantee.
Guess you missed the part where I mentioned using hindsight LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad