Confirmed with Link: Okposo traded to FLA for Calle Sjalin and conditional 2024 7th (Pick 161, 5th Round)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Mind explaining why he deserves the Cup? All i know him for is under performing and quitting on a team he was the captain of in October.

Guy went through so much suffering with us and the Islanders and only made the playoffs a handful of times and all he ever knows is losing and missing the playoffs .

Just like Jack Eichel last year , it will be so good for Okie to get a Stanley Cup after all of the pain is Sabres fans have been through these last 13 years of no playoff appearances

He is saying, getting anything for Okposo was good asset management instead doing a Gionta. Getting a serviceable AHL dman and a 7th was good, getting a condition that it goes to a 5th is even better.

Correct , I remember last year when Chuck Fletcher couldn’t even get a 7th round pick for JVR and I will never forget that press conference when the reports were giving him a hard time for 11 minutes and all he could say was “You guys are gunna beat this one up”.

It ultimately got him fired

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hadn't seen that.

No worries. I don't think they throw him the QO but maybe they do *shrug*. He was a nice puck moving option in the few games he played in Rochester, was on the PP a bit even though by that point the "solution" for their PP1 was running five forwards. However, his d-zone play was a little weak and he struggled on his off-hand side badly. With who they have on LD on the big club, he probably can see that he's about eighth on the depth chart at the moment.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
FB_IMG_1719287464328.jpg

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I always wonder how the accomplishment feels for a guy like Okposo, a peripheral deadline add who had little to no impact, compared to a guy like Barkov who has been the heart and soul of the franchise.

0-0-0 in 6 regular season games, 0-2-2 in 17 playoff games. It's obviously better than not winning one, but it can't feel the same, right?

Did you watch the games? Maurice kept him in the lineup almost every game and played him a ton for a reason. He was very good in Game Seven. They also gave him The Cup third and even Tkachuk brought up Okposo in his first interview after winning the Cup and Maurice mentioned him as well in his interview with Kaplan.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I always wonder how the accomplishment feels for a guy like Okposo, a peripheral deadline add who had little to no impact, compared to a guy like Barkov who has been the heart and soul of the franchise.

0-0-0 in 6 regular season games, 0-2-2 in 17 playoff games. It's obviously better than not winning one, but it can't feel the same, right?
It's a welfare cup for a veteran, probably feels good after playing over 1000 nhl games to end as a winner. Brings great closurecto his whole career. Where does he bring the cup though?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Did you watch the games? Maurice kept him in the lineup almost every game and played him a ton for a reason. He was very good in Game Seven. They also gave him The Cup third and even Tkachuk brought up Okposo in his first interview after winning the Cup and Maurice mentioned him as well in his interview with Kaplan.
He didn't play a ton. He averaged 8:33 min/G playing in 70% of their playoff games and 7:51 in Game 7.

Last night I saw him in the cycle a few times, saw him carry a half breakaway into the corner, that's about it. In the playoffs he had a lot of hits and some of the worst advanced stats on the team. I have no doubt that he was an appreciated veteran, as evidenced by Maurice and Tkachuk's appreciation. But none of that really has to do with my curiosity.

I've joined firms and contributed to getting projects across the finish line that had been underway for years. I certainly didn't feel the same accomplishment from those as I did from projects I guided through the entire process.

There's just no way it feels the same as if he led Buffalo or the Islanders to a Cup. And I'm glad, because he largely failed as our captain and he doesn't get a shortcut to the full glory he could have had here.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I imagine it feels awesome.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
That's just not accurate. He averaged just over eight minutes in playoffs and no PP time, unlike Buffalo. The issue with Okposp from the day he was made captain was he had to be given playing time, Including on PP, and you cannot sit him without the controversy of sitting your captain. In Florida, he could settle into a nothing-line role and sit in the stands here or there. This is why I never wanted him back and why I don't want Girgensons back.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's just not accurate. He averaged just over eight minutes in playoffs and no PP time, unlike Buffalo. The issue with Okposp from the day he was made captain was he had to be given playing time, Including on PP, and you cannot sit him without the controversy of sitting your captain. In Florida, he could settle into a nothing-line role and sit in the stands here or there. This is why I never wanted him back and why I don't want Girgensons back.
In fact, it became interesting if there is at least one team in the league whose captain plays on the fourth line.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He didn't play a ton. He averaged 8:33 min/G playing in 70% of their playoff games and 7:51 in Game 7.

Last night I saw him in the cycle a few times, saw him carry a half breakaway into the corner, that's about it. In the playoffs he had a lot of hits and some of the worst advanced stats on the team. I have no doubt that he was an appreciated veteran, as evidenced by Maurice and Tkachuk's appreciation. But none of that really has to do with my curiosity.

I've joined firms and contributed to getting projects across the finish line that had been underway for years. I certainly didn't feel the same accomplishment from those as I did from projects I guided through the entire process.

There's just no way it feels the same as if he led Buffalo or the Islanders to a Cup. And I'm glad, because he largely failed as our captain and he doesn't get a shortcut to the full glory he could have had here.
You are 100% right. I swear people in Buffalo will talk this guy into something he wasn't for decades after he is gone. He was a small piece on a Florida team as a role player on 4th line. That's it. This is the type of fantasy that has to stop in Buffalo. It's fine to have role players but people need to stop with the over-glorification. They wanna talk about Reinhart and if we handled him wrong, that's fine. Okposo was an embarrassment at $2.5 M, and it slowed our progress having a glorified bit player as our captain for yet another year. I will never understand what we "owe" this guy. I wish him well and I know he had the concussions but who cares about him. How on earth was he brought back this year as captain? People wonder why the franchise has sucked.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You are 100% right. I swear people in Buffalo will talk this guy into something he wasn't for decades after he is gone. He was a small piece on a Florida team as a role player on 4th line. That's it. This is the type of fantasy that has to stop in Buffalo. It's fine to have role players but people need to stop with the over-glorification. They wanna talk about Reinhart and if we handled him wrong, that's fine. Okposo was an embarrassment at $2.5 M, and it slowed our progress having a glorified bit player as our captain for yet another year. I will never understand what we "owe" this guy. I wish him well and I know he had the concussions but who cares about him. How on earth was he brought back this year as captain? People wonder why the franchise has sucked.
Give Dahlin a captain. He seems to be the longest player of this team, he has leadership qualities, he works hard and diligently, he plays with heart and fury on the ice. That's how it works for me.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

You are making your extremely dumb take dumber. You compared Okposo to Barkov. Sure Okposo didn't contribute as much as Barkov, but that goes for 18 other players. You need a team to win a Stanley Cup and your fourth liners are as important when winning as your top six. That's why they're so valuable at the trade deadline and teams overpay. Look at Buffalo.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. You think Okposo gives a crap he was on the fourth line and wasn't playing on the power play? He has a Cup! It's seriously odd to try to diminish this.

I bet Okposo is loving life and will always remember this feeling. The $500,000 bonus won't hurt either.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
You are making your extremely dumb take dumber. You compared Okposo to Barkov. Sure Okposo didn't contribute as much as Barkov, but that goes for 18 other players. You need a team to win a Stanley Cup and your fourth liners are as important when winning as your top six. That's why they're so valuable at the trade deadline and teams overpay. Look at Buffalo.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. You think Okposo gives a crap he was on the fourth line and wasn't playing on the power play? He has a Cup! It's seriously odd to try to diminish this.

I bet Okposo is loving life and will always remember this feeling. The $500,000 bonus won't hurt either.
Okposo got to see the ice in the third period in a game seven and win the cup. There is no diminishing that. Okposo did not cause our team to be trash. Poor coaching and roster assembly did that.

Although Adams better be hyping his players in trades to other teams to get a premium. In the past 7 years our tradeoffs have won an excessive amount of championships.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Give Dahlin a captain. He seems to be the longest player of this team, he has leadership qualities, he works hard and diligently, he plays with heart and fury on the ice. That's how it works for me.

Your captain doesn't have to be a star. Just someone who is worthy of being a top forward or top D

I can't speak for him, but I think the take is more that he is a bit contributor, which is fine. No crime in enjoying life that way. But trying to build Okposo's contribution into something larger is silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad