Speculation: Ok Leaf Fans. Let's Re-tool!

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
We got our annual gut punch and somehow survived.

So this team is deeply flawed and not close. The goal is to be a lot better than 1 playoff series win in 20 years.

What are your suggestions? How many years will this take? 2 steps back in order to finally move forward?

I can see that we need defense in the worst way. Goaltending is also a priority. Depth forwards too.

So what do you do?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
If they have decided to move on from Mitch and they can get value, that’s an opportunity to get a d man.

Otherwise, they should stay the course this year until JTs number goes down and bring in some big D help then. Let some of the kids come along. Team is pretty good at the core.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I would write off next year - I’m trading Mitch and Rielly and Tavares if he waives. If not, I let him know “no problem”. You are now our 3C checking line along with Holmberg and Jarnkrok. No PP time. No longer captain.

Bring in a new coach, new systems and start to establish TML hockey. Energy, toughness, speed and heavy forechecking.

I would want picks and young players. Or a top goalie (which I doubt is available).

In free Agency, I am rebuilding the D corps.
Need a big tough stay at home kinda guy. As well as true PP quarterback who can shoot it.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I won't expect management to purposely take any steps back, even if Marner is indeed traded and they let JT walk next summer.

The capspace will be spent quickly (even if it's on one year deals to save room to take run at McDavid in 2026 should be hit free agency). Tre will be looking to keep the playoffs streak going, and they have little draft capital next year too.

With that said, I doubt Tre will aim to fully remake.thr D core to his liking with just another summer and tdl, that's likely going to be a couple years process, if anything just to allow more free agents to shake free

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I’d trade Marner if the there’s a good trade out there, I’d target a defensemen. I’d re-sign domi and move on from Bertuzzi. Wouldn’t re-sign Brodie. Sign or trade for a goalie. Keefe is obviously gone. Would let Tavares walk after next year.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I’m sure this thread will be filled with many fresh and new ideas.
1715232174291.png

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
first you ask jt and marner to waive their nmcs.

if they agree, then you trade them. that's an entire discussion unto itself, the possibilities are plentiful. others have discussed this in greater detail.

if they refuse, then I think the leafs should use next season as a building year where they develop their prospects. knies, robertson, holmberg, cowan up front; niemela, liljegren on d; woll, hildeby in net.

then by the following season, jt and marner are off the books, some of the prospects have hopefully started to bear fruit, and you sign some players in free agency.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
To me, this is a two year plan...

Year #1....

Fire Keefe
Fire Shanahan
Trade Marner ($10.9 million)
Trade Kampf ($2.4 million)
Trade Timmins ($1.1 million)
Let Brodie Walk ($5.0 million)
Let Giordano Walk ($800 thousand)
Let Klingberg Walk ($4.0 million)
Let Samsonov Walk ($3.55 million)

Extend Domi ($4.25 million x 5)
Extend Bertuzzi ($5.75 million x 6)
Extend Robertson ($1.5 million x 3)
Extend Liljegren ($2.8 million x 2)
Extend Dewar ($1.2 million x 2)
Extend Edmundson ($3.5 million x 4)
Add a 1RHD ($6.0 million x whatever)
Add a 2C ($5.0 million x whatever)
Add a 1B Goalie ($3.0 x whatever)

Bertuzzi / Matthews / Domi
Knies / 5.0 Addition / Nylander
McMann / Tavares / Jarnkrok
Robertson / Holmberg / Dewar
Reaves

Rielly / 6.0 Addition
Edmundson / Liljegren
Benoit /McCabe
800k Addition

Woll
3.0 Addition

Total Cap Hit: $87.7 million

Year #2....

Cap goes up $4.4 million (projection)
Extend Tavares ($5.0 million x 2)
Extend Woll
Extend Knies
Extend McCabe
Start to integrate Cowan
Start to integrate Grebenkin
Start to integrate Minten
Start to integrate Niemela

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would write off next year - I’m trading Mitch and Rielly and Tavares if he waives. If not, I let him know “no problem”. You are now our 3C checking line along with Holmberg and Jarnkrok. No PP time. No longer captain.

Bring in a new coach, new systems and start to establish TML hockey. Energy, toughness, speed and heavy forechecking.

I would want picks and young players. Or a top goalie (which I doubt is available).

In free Agency, I am rebuilding the D corps.
Need a big tough stay at home kinda guy. As well as true PP quarterback who can shoot it.

This team doesn't need to be gutted like that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It all starts with coaching you fire Keefe you hire Berube.

I'd look at trading Marner, but I'm nottrading him just to trade him, if you can't get a fair deal you don't move Marner.

Tavares is the one I'd move cheap.

Sign Monahan to replace Tavares

Call up Dubas and see what he wants for Reilly Smith, you need to start bringing in guys with championship experience, that's why you bring in Craig Berube and that's why you target Reilly Smith.

Then I look at goaltending, we have 1 guy under contract and he's always hurt, so I'm calling on every goalie potentially available Gibson, Markstrom, Saros, Merzlikns, Binner, Jarry, Kempeur all of them Woll can't be the #1 next year, he's got to prove he can stay healthy and take the job.

One of Bertuzzi or Domi needs to come back, I suspect Domi is more likely.

I'd be ALL IN on Pesce and/or Montour, I also think at least 1 of Zadorov or Tanev is coming in.

I'd look at trading Kampf, I like Kampf but with Dewar here I don't know that we need Kampf, and if you don't think Dewar can replace Kampf maybe look at somebody like Nic Dowd.

Also, and most won't agree with this, but if the Kings bought out, PLD and there is speculation that they might because his buyout is only 1/3 because he's 25.

If they did I look at signing him but only short term, because as talented as he is you only get the best out of him on short term contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bellzy

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
It all starts with coaching you fire Keefe you hire Berube.

I'd look at trading Marner, but I'm nottrading him just to trade him, if you can't get a fair deal you don't move Marner.

Tavares is the one I'd move cheap.

Sign Monahan to replace Tavares

Call up Dubas and see what he wants for Reilly Smith, you need to start bringing in guys with championship experience, that's why you bring in Craig Berube and that's why you target Reilly Smith.

Then I look at goaltending, we have 1 guy under contract and he's always hurt, so I'm calling on every goalie potentially available Gibson, Markstrom, Saros, Merzlikns, Binner, Jarry, Kempeur all of them Woll can't be the #1 next year, he's got to prove he can stay healthy and take the job.

One of Bertuzzi or Domi needs to come back, I suspect Domi is more likely.

I'd be ALL IN on Pesce and/or Montour, I also think at least 1 of Zadorov or Tanev is coming in.

I'd look at trading Kampf, I like Kampf but with Dewar here I don't know that we need Kampf, and if you don't think Dewar can replace Kampf maybe look at somebody like Nic Dowd.
There is no realistic chance they can trade Tavares. No one wants that contract (even after the bonus is paid the cap hit is onerous and the cash-poor teams not near the cap aren't teams he is going to waive for) and he's much more likely to invoke that NMC than Marner is.

Mitch is the only one that might be able to be moved. The others are either untradable (JT) or extended long-term with NMC's.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There is no realistic chance they can trade Tavares. No one wants that contract (even after the bonus is paid the cap hit is onerous and the cash-poor teams not near the cap aren't teams he is going to waive for) and he's much more likely to invoke that NMC than Marner is.

Mitch is the only one that might be able to be moved. The others are either untradable (JT) or extended long-term with NMC's.
Then if you have to keep him you do it, you trade him just for the sake of trading him.

I wouldn't do a ton with the forwards.

To me the focus is defense and goaltending, although like I said I do want to add Reilly Smith because I do want players with championship experience.

I do wonder if you can get JT to waive if he knows he's being immediately bought out, like Carolina did with Marleau.

I don't think It's out of the question they run it back 1 more time with a different coach and goaltender.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Assuming they’re not moving Treliving, keep on the same three year plan that began this time last year. Since the GM jumped on a moving train, this year was always a write off and all he could do was hold some tryouts for Bertuzzi, Domi, Woll, Klinberg.

New coach

Make decisions on JT, one of the core, or both, to fix the D. That’s been a hole for 8 yrs and until that’s fixed they’ll never win.

Find leaders. I can’t see Auston Matthews ever winning a Cup.

Also be looking for another goalie, I don’t trust Woll will be healthy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Didn’t you just create a Marner thread when we already had one? Maybe the OP should have put “(with poll)” in the thread title to really get everyone’s creative juices flowing.
Yes a poll makes a thread unique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad