Post-Game Talk: Oilers with the reverse orca card

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Question for someone smarter than me: is there a systems-based explanation for why the Oilers are so chronically, consistently incapable of clearing their zone under pressure? Is this a natural side effect of their system or are they simply as slow/clueless as they appear? Want to support Pickard/Skinner even more and get that GAA down? Get the f***ing puck out of your zone!

/driving me crazy

It's a personnel issue. Ceci in particular is awful at creating quick break out passes, using his defensive partner as a safety valve, and doubly so at creating outlets for his defensive partner to do so.

There's a reason why we're screaming for Stecher to draw into the lineup.

But in this series Vancouver does deserve a bit of credit. They've chased the Ceci matchup with their best forechecking line all 4 games.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Do Lindholm and Miller have signs on their back that say you can't touch them and has the league given the Oilers directives to that effect? It's about time some guys on our team started clobbering these 2 assholes with crosschecks, sticks and anything on the line or even over it, just like McDavid, Drai, Ekholm and a few of our other stars are getting.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It's a personnel issue. Ceci in particular is awful at creating quick break out passes, using his defensive partner as a safety valve, and doubly so at creating outlets for his defensive partner to do so.

There's a reason why we're screaming for Stecher to draw into the lineup.

But in this series Vancouver does deserve a bit of credit. They've chased the Ceci matchup with their best forechecking line all 4 games.

Ceci reminds me of Bear in a sense that the opp will always dump to his side of the ice. If you watch, they'll dump to Ceci because they know he'll f' it up

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Ceci reminds me of Bear in a sense that the opp will always dump to his side of the ice. If you watch, they'll dump to Ceci because they know he'll f' it up
They really need to teach Ceci some panic plays or something. Like hey if you think you're caught, flip it high to centre ice or full slapper the thing. Don't cough it up 6 feet away without looking.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I said yesterday we need to punish Hughes-Hronek they are smaller d-men with little playoff experience. Punish those guys while you can to throw them off.

It's not only about Kane doing that and it resulting in a goal, which don't get me wrong it's beautiful. But if you can get d-men off their game because they are worried about getting crushed, it'll open up other opportunities either in the current game or the next ones.
Someone please explain this to McLeod

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Holloway into the top 6 is something we've been screaming for weeks. Feels good to be vindicated. Kid is a player and a good fit with Drai
Draisaitl played well with Kane. Not sure why Knob does not use them together anymore. Hyman-McDavid, Kane-Draisaitl, then plug whoever as the other winger: RNH, Foegele, Holloway, Henrique.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holy crap are some Canuck fans desperate. Some think bringing in Jonathan Lekkermaki is a solution. (2 points in 6 AHL games is his North American career)

Nuts. That is like us expecting Lavoie to come in and change the series. (and he scored 28 in the AHL this year)
jonathan-lekkerimaki-2022-7287.jpg

Canucks version of Mitch Marner

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Holy crap are some Canuck fans desperate. Some think bringing in Jonathan Lekkermaki is a solution. (2 points in 6 AHL games is his North American career)

Nuts. That is like us expecting Lavoie to come in and change the series. (and he scored 28 in the AHL this year)
desperate times create desperate measures. they see how bad they were outplayed

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

Ceci is clearly the weakest link on the D. Get rid of him at the end of this season.

If they could turn Ceci into Pesce or like that this team is totally different
Draisaitl played well with Kane. Not sure why Knob does not use them together anymore. Hyman-McDavid, Kane-Draisaitl, then plug whoever as the other winger: RNH, Foegele, Holloway, Henrique.

That's exactly what they did last night?

Reactions: capazzo

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
In one ep of GYB, Rishaug admits he grew up as a huge Oilers fan. But since he's part of media, he's not allowed to show it even though he has his biases.

The Vancouver media, every single one of them, has no qualms showing it. Iain MacIntyre and Farham Lalji being 2 of the worst

Iain McIntyre is the worst offender by far. He sets the tone for the bitch ass nature of their fanbase.

This was probably 5/6 years ago now, but we played a game in Van that we won by one goal off a PP in the third. I can't remember the call for sure, but I think Nurse got high sticked. It was a black and white call, but naturally that clown thought it was embellished (as they do in Vancouver).

To put it succinctly, it was the type of play that might deserve a mention the next day if you thought it was embellished. In true Nuck fashion, I think he dedicated at least a paragraph to it, and also in true Nuck fashion it was written in the style of a teenage Facebook rant. Complete with mocking the player, immature insults, etc. Really wish I could find it, maybe I'll try and dig it up later.

It is not hard to see where they get it from.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
@Jimmi McJenkins
Did you go to the game last night?
I did not. My brother and dad have season tickets (haven't bought in yet), but they've been selling them, and we thought they weren't sold Sunday, oh well. That building sounded amazing.

I actually was wondering if this was going to happen, feels super like a nucks thing to do

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad