Post-Game Talk: Oilers with the reverse orca card

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I keep expecting that but somehow they don't. But the Oilers are to blame as well for not bearing down and making pucks go. We were doing that in LA series and its kind of sagged since. We're passing off good shooting spots, overplaying, we need to be taking more quailty shots when those opportunities arise and getting to net. Thats the thing with Nuck is they don't always get a ton of dangerous opportunity but everything directed at net. They don't look for the perfect plays, just to creat chaos at net front and hoping something will go. Been working for them all season, better than it should but...

Most of the game I was annoyed how little run support Oilers were getting Pickard. here he ws in his first playoff start and it has to be the game we can't cash. Love that we won but that was nervewracking.

Seems like every game is going to come down to last goal. Not what you want to be doing against the PDO Nucks.
100 percent , they are playing too much passing on the permitter Need guys going to the net

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
11.5M buck man and he's missing in action. Such an unbelievably ineffective player in playoffs. Paid twice what Steve Austin was paid and his pilot got cancelled (TV humor, I have to explain my jokes)

There was a play in the third where Petey has the puck on the boards, freezes, and an Oiler wallops him and just takes puck away. epitomy of his playoffs. he's not even a good player in post season. he looks like an out of place bottomsix player. Worse because he bails on hits. just a complete joke.

They love Swede forwards in Vancouver.

I love mocking this guy.
100% seems to be canucks marner. His physiology he looks so effiminate. It almost seems like drai isn't taking him serious when matched up against his line.

He wants to be a pure skill guy but in the playoffs you're not playing the sharks you can easily score against.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
What is Connor Brown actually bringing to the lineup other than nothing.

Remember all that talk that he would or could redeem himmself in playoffs after a legendary bad season? ON one play in third he strips puck in opposition zone, it should be a major break, he should be home free on goal but he somehow shits his pants, crawls to the puck and the chance is so soon gone, as if it never occurred. The guy is such a big bag of absolutely nothing.
Someone needs to pull Knob aside and tell him what Sam just might bring to a playoff game. Does he not realize how hungry Gagner is and seriously, what's the harm because he would never be worse than Brown.

Sam would play like he's 6'2, he'd hit everything and would have so much fire. Everything that Brown doesn't do.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Nugent Hopkins goal is a thing of beauty. Textbook transition defense to offence with Ekholm and Nugent Hopkins. Nuge is in excellent defensive position with McDavid and Hyman in deep. Bouch steps up into the offensive and Nuge is in d support. Ekholm turns from defending to puck transporter on an unforced turnover and Nuge jumps up from defending support to transition offence into high danger ice and rips a perfect kill shot.

This team's defensive game and work rate was dialed in last night. It paid off to with this beauty:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Someone needs to pull Knob aside and tell him what Sam just might bring to a playoff game. Does he not realize how hungry Gagner is and seriously, what's the harm because he would never be worse than Brown.

Sam would play like he's 6'2, he'd hit everything and would have so much fire. Everything that Brown doesn't do.
A narrative gets developed about players being one dimensional and sometimes that never shakes even though it hasn't been the case for years. Sam is a lot stronger than when he entered league when only 18 and the early years and GA kind of set the table for coaches considered him as, one zone. but he hasn't been like that in a decade and was even killing penalties well for Detroit. He's a much different player now with man strength and that can play in all zones. But the main thing is he creates better than anybody in our bottomsix.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
This guy is writing my posts for me now. Not for the first time. heh Somebody gets it.

But we go through this every year, and every season we're in playoffs these thoughts occur and then are replaced with the usual lazy german comments. Which is fine,, but when posterds defend Drai mentioning he's one of the most valuable players in the world people will chaff at that and call you out for defending the great player. The apparent message he should be great anytime anybody is watching no matter if the game means next to nothing in an 82 game marathon season.

How would people here like to see Makar playing a critical game in series and not even showing up. Looking depressed half the time, looking worse than bad Quinn Hughes in playoffs. Mackinnon tried haulting the AV's shit for awhile and to his credit still trying. But another f***er on the team took the time to fail drug relapse testing during the playoffs, for the 2nd time he's done that. Another linemate hasn't played seemingly for years and who knows when or ever he will back. Rantenen has looked just normal. But the shocking thing is how poor Makar has been in the playoff series. I mean not even making an effort or attempt to bring his bread and butter plays. he had maybe two good shifts in game 4, at home, with his team being slaughtered at home and wiped all over the rink. With the fans booing.

Yeah that team has a cup. But where's its heart?
If they win it all, Drai gets the Smythe. Getting ahead of myself here. He’s that good.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
I don't think we should be all sunshine and rainbows here. I don't think we played as good as game 3. A lot of people underestimate the value of the hockey gods/ puck luck.

- 3rd period we were on our heels sitting back and getting peppered (just like LA, VAN game 1, etc) we blew the lead. We can't be panicking with the puck. Just an awful performance.
- I'm not a good judge of goaltending, but Pickard wasn't tested. If we go deep do we need Skinner to find his form? Or is he just cooked?
- The third line is ass. Could we go Mcleod Rico/Nuge Foegle? This could be similar to that Drai line
- Ceci was garbage. He can't skate. Constant turnovers.
- Mcdavid will need to find a way to produce 5 on 5

It's great we got the win. Drai was an absolute animal. The boys battled hard and now it's a series again! Just some negative stuff that probably needs to be addressed.
I agree we had a better game 3 and it's frustrating we let them come back again. We deserved more goals but if we're only up by a couple we can't sit on leads like we did against LA.

Love Nuge but he's proven he can't drive his own line and our first line is almost as dominant with him instead of Draisaitl. Even when Rico comes back id like Nuge to stay on the first line and freeze the top 6 as Holloway and Kane have played 2 good games in a row now.

Fine with shuffling the bottom 6 since it's a disaster. Janmark is the only one of the group I can say has looked alright. Maybe throw him on a line with Rico once healthy and they can click with Perry.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Nugent Hopkins goal is a thing of beauty. Textbook transition defense to offence with Ekholm and Nugent Hopkins. Nuge is in excellent defensive position with McDavid and Hyman in deep. Bouch steps up into the offensive and Nuge is in d support. Ekholm turns from defending to puck transporter on an unforced turnover and Nuge jumps up from defending support to transition offence into high danger ice and rips a perfect kill shot.

This team's defensive game and work rate was dialed in last night. It paid off to with this beauty:

Its the goal of the series thus far even though it wasn't the eventual winner. That said its been an isolated contribution from Nuge, and also hit post, this one went in, and this just making amends for the splendid opportunity Nuge totally blew, that would have won an earlier game making score 5-2. Instead Nuge hit post from 10ft out with an empty net staring at him and we go on to lose that game.

So last night Nuge finished a big goal. he needs to get on a heater now and start potting more, or making some more offensive plays.

Reactions: Biltmore

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Spec likes to shit on everyone elses parade. Tired of him. OEG should have done something about him long ago.
He’s been this way for a very long time too. You guys can correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t Spector the guy who felt he needed to make it public knowledge that Jason Arnott had a kid out of wedlock when he was a young player here? This guy has been an enemy of the players thriving on stirring shit for as long as he’s been in the business.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You are 100 percent right. The Oilers did defend well in terms of keeping the Nucks high danger chances to basically zero

I just think the biggest talking point should be the fact we can't keep sitting back on leads, but if nobody wants that posted here that's fine.
They don't think that's fine, but they trust themselves, after doing it against the Kings and all season, to be able to lock it down.

The nucks, through effort and luck, have found ways through. The Oilers need to bare down that little bit more and need to not dress Ceci next game.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
What's everyone's thoughts on this 3rd line if/when Rico is healthy

Mcleod Henrique Foegele

Switch Henrique and Nuge if you want.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That third goal is weak. Hopefully it's impacting him. I'd like silovs next game and feel if he crashes and burns in front of his fans puts canucks in an awful spot for game 6.
It was a killer to give up, no question. Great shot from Bouchard too, the behind the net shot shows the opening between the arm and body that he picked from the blueline

Mcleod Henrique Foegele

That's really interesting, of he's been banged up, I don't know that he can center his own line, but henrique - McLeod - Perry might work well

Reactions: Oilhawks

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

Mcleod Henrique Foegele

mcleod has been an effective winger, i dont want to mix up what is working too much but i would throw holloway at C on the 3rd line. he can stir and potentially even drive a line

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
bro how long till Rico is good to go?

mans been day-to-day for exactly 2 weeks now

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Gagner has been absolute money and a major emotional boost to this team whenever he's drawn in, Knob needs to dress Sammy one of these games.

Dear Game 5

1715791503210.png

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
A narrative gets developed about players being one dimensional and sometimes that never shakes even though it hasn't been the case for years. Sam is a lot stronger than when he entered league when only 18 and the early years and GA kind of set the table for coaches considered him as, one zone. but he hasn't been like that in a decade and was even killing penalties well for Detroit. He's a much different player now with man strength and that can play in all zones. But the main thing is he creates better than anybody in our bottomsix.
Even more to your point is that our bottom 6 is playing like absolute trash and there shouldn't be a real argument against taking any of them out.

McLeod and Perry are probably safe and Janmark has played the best out of our entire bottom 6 this series, so we should be able to swap out at least one of Ryan, Brown or Foegele for a fresh body.

Foegele could really benefit from sitting a game. He's always working hard but has been making so many stupid mistakes this series that are costing us. Sitting next game could be a mental reset for him.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It was a killer to give up, no question. Great shot from Bouchard too, the behind the net shot shows the opening between the arm and body that he picked from the blueline

That's really interesting, of he's been banged up, I don't know that he can center his own line, but henrique - McLeod - Perry might work well

Yeah I feel more comfortable with Perry there then Foegele. I think him and McLeod just work well together whereas Foegele is often a bit of a lone wolf.

I like the idea of this bottom 6;
McLeod - Henrique - Perry
Janmark - Carrick - Foegele

A bit heavier in the bottom line, better at cycling and forechecking. And then just an upgrade on L3.

Idk I guess Perry on line 4 isn't terrible either:
McLeod - Henrique - Foegele
Janmark - Carrick/Ryan - Perry

I just think that fourth line looks slow.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I'd still play Stecher/Broberg over deadweight Ceci though personally.

They have to at this point, imo. His "shift" in the 3rd was as disastrous a shift I've seen from an NHL defenseman since the dark decade, he looked like he could barely handle himself.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Yep and Silov is playing way over his head Imo. I could be wrong but I think the floodgates are going to open soon.
If they can finally get the book on him and start exploiting it, it should rattle him.

He's settled in thinking "man, this isn't so hard". If we can turn that into "wtf I was playing great and now everything is going in!" he will crumble.

He's basically heading up to the top of Dunning-Kruger's Mt Stupid right now.

Of course, the moment he falls apart, if he does, DeSmith (or Demko) comes in.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah I feel more comfortable with Perry there then Foegele. I think him and McLeod just work well together whereas Foegele is often a bit of a lone wolf.

I like the idea of this bottom 6;
McLeod - Henrique - Perry
Janmark - Carrick - Foegele

A bit heavier in the bottom line, better at cycling and forechecking. And then just an upgrade on L3.

Idk I guess Perry on line 4 isn't terrible either:
McLeod - Henrique - Foegele
Janmark - Carrick/Ryan - Perry

I just think that fourth line looks slow.
Janmark isn't slow and I would love to have both Carrick and henrique back it, but I think they're both hurt (henrique we know for sure). I think Perry is fine where he is, he adds experience and stability to McLeod, they just need to get more going.

Foegele, for me, isn't really doing anything to force himself to stay in the line up, assume full health, here's what I would run.

Henrique - McLeod - Perry
Janmark - Carrick - Ryan/Brown/Foegele

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Its the goal of the series thus far even though it wasn't the eventual winner. That said its been an isolated contribution from Nuge, and also hit post, this one went in, and this just making amends for the splendid opportunity Nuge totally blew, that would have won an earlier game making score 5-2. Instead Nuge hit post from 10ft out with an empty net staring at him and we go on to lose that game.

So last night Nuge finished a big goal. he needs to get on a heater now and start potting more, or making some more offensive plays.
He's still contributing major minutes on a PK that's been a big difference in both series. It helps to look at the game holistically. Needs to score and finish better absolutely. It's a much better strategy to winning separating McDavid and Draisaitl and not stack their five best players on one unit. Oilers need to find more EV scoring versus just on an elite PP. Was a factor in the Vegas series defeat last year.

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
They have to at this point, imo. His "shift" in the 3rd was as disastrous a shift I've seen from an NHL defenseman since the dark decade, he looked like he could barely handle himself.

Him getting all casual from no longer skating after thinking it was a gloved pass in the Oilers end and allowing the nuck forward to sneak in was the definition of stupidity. There were many sequences in the 3rd where the nucks got multiple chances since Ceci failed to move or transition the puck to save his life. Kulak had to play extra hard just to cover for his ass. I don't think Nurse was that great either, but he looks a lot better without the anchor in Ceci as a D pairing. Surely Broberg or Stecher can't be better options at this point, right? Look at how well Holloway plays when given on a chance to play on a top 6 with either of McDavid or Draisaitl as an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad