Confirmed with Link: Oilers will be giving up third round pick in Lucic/Neal swap

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I find it disturbing how Edmonton regularly gets the shaft in all league decisions from scheduling to discipline to trade compensation to coach/gm compensation to ref selection to not being allowed to play in our own dressing room etc etc etc etc and nobody seems to be standing up for us. Why does our schedule have to be so much worse than some of the other teams in the North division? Where’s the sense in that? How could it be that we have no recourse for any of this?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I find it disturbing how Edmonton regularly gets the shaft in all league decisions from scheduling to discipline to trade compensation to coach/gm compensation to ref selection to not being allowed to play in our own dressing room etc etc etc etc and nobody seems to be standing up for us. Why does our schedule have to be so much worse than some of the other teams in the North division? Where’s the sense in that? How could it be that we have no recourse for any of this?

We're the last man standing from the WHA merger. Plus reading up on Pocklington fang dangling a way to keep Gretzky away from the entry and expansion drafts......the league wasnt happy about that either.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I hear ya. But then I think about the insane amount of good fortune this franchise has had in the last 15 years and how they managed to squander basically all of it and I don't feel as angry at the league anymore.

If there had been even someone with half a brain running the show, the team wouldn't be trying to pull itself out of the same hole for 15 years and that specific 3rd round pick wouldn't mean anything to any of us.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I hear ya. But then I think about the insane amount of good fortune this franchise has had in the last 15 years and how they managed to squander basically all of it and I don't feel as angry at the league anymore.

If there had been even someone with half a brain running the show, the team wouldn't be trying to pull itself out of the same hole for 15 years and that specific 3rd round pick wouldn't mean anything to any of us.
The league changed the draft lottery to stop us from getting top picks, and then we play their game and win McDavid anyways.

f*** them.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The league changed the draft lottery to stop us from getting top picks, and then we play their game and win McDavid anyways.

f*** them.

Agreed. We lost plenty of draft lotteries along the way too — Winning Ekblad probably would have helped a lot instead of slipping down. But hey Draisaitl is working out alright anyway...

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Did we really have that much good fortune though? I know that’s what’s accepted but really we happened to bottom out at the worst possible time to be picking 1st 3 times.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The bs started soon as we entered the league in the merger. Some interesting reading for those that don't know the story, merger conditions, reverse draft, and the Oilers getting jobbed out of their prospect Bengt Ake Gustaffson.

The Kidnapping of Bengt-Åke Gustafsson - The Copper & Blue (coppernblue.com)

Reactions: RattsSSV

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
don't forget the league screwed over the Oilers by giving the Bruins and Sharks draft picks for the "right" to become our GM and coach

only to get rid of it shortly after
utter bullshit

Between the Lucic-Neal swap and these BS compensatory picks for hiring fired personnel in Chiarelli and McLellan the Oilers have been f***ed out of three draft picks by the NHL, a 2nd and two 3rds. Then to have Chiarelli go and blow the assets that were built up over the course of the long painful rebuild during his tenure is still frustrating considering the limited depth the Oilers still have a decade after the rebuild started.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
don't forget the league screwed over the Oilers by giving the Bruins and Sharks draft picks for the "right" to become our GM and coach

only to get rid of it shortly after
utter bullshit
Other teams were hit with that too but yeah brutal timing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I mean if the league wants to be consistent we should get our draft picks back for green and AA.

I mean how was Holland supposed to know about covid?

Green at least since he didn't join our team when the play-ins started.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Did we really have that much good fortune though? I know that’s what’s accepted but really we happened to bottom out at the worst possible time to be picking 1st 3 times.
Even with the draft class quality three top five picks, let alone first overalls should have you netting more success than we did. Franchise f***ed it all up and continued to do it after the 4th golden ticket with McDavid.

Hard to feel sympathy for that, honestly. No matter how much the stupid prorating aggravates me.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Even with the draft class quality three top five picks, let alone first overalls should have you netting more success than we did. Franchise f***ed it all up and continued to do it after the 4th golden ticket with McDavid.

Hard to feel sympathy for that, honestly. No matter how much the stupid prorating aggravates me.
Everything is timing though. Our legit possible selections were
2010: Hall, Seguin,
2011: Nuge, Landeskog,
2012: Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Murray.

Doesn’t really matter how we pick it’s just a really weak group of players at the top of these drafts.

The three previous drafts

2007: Kane
2008: Stamkos, Doughty
2009: Tavares, Hedman

Amazing group of superstars in both positions

Following 3 drafts:

2013: McKinnon, Jones, Barkov

2014: Ekblad, Leon (thank god), Reinhartd

2015: Conor and Jack

Reality is we just had the worst possible string of 3 years to be terrible. What’s the best we could have done? Seguin, Landeskog Murray? Does that even move the needle much? Might be marginally better but I don’t think it makes much of a difference.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Doesn’t really matter how we pick it’s just a really weak group of players at the top of these drafts.

Following 3 drafts:

Reality is we just had the worst possible string of 3 years to be terrible. What’s the best we could have done? Seguin, Landeskog Murray? Does that even move the needle much? Might be marginally better but I don’t think it makes much of a difference.
Nothing wrong with Hall or Seguin.
Nothing wrong with Nuge or Landeskog.
Yak/Murray is the only questionable one but I believe Murray would have had more.positice impact than Yak just based on needs.

I refuse to blame the quality of draft classes for the organization bungling the last 15 years. Doesn't even matter that there was no "Superstar" first overalls there. Most organizations would have managed a modicum of success after being gifted 3 first overalls.

Blaming class quality is just a massively weak cop out in my opinion.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Following 3 drafts:

The needle wouldn't move at all. Why it drives me crazy when people go "DUUUUUUUH 1ST OVERALLS RUINED!!!" when the reality is the players just weren't that great in the first place.

What annoys me is Jersey doesn't get hit with the same tag. Hischier is a decent player, but now laughably overpaid and won't be a much better player than Nuge if he even gets to that level. Hughes is off to a good start this year, but if we're being honest with ourselves he isn't going to be much more than a good first liner level talent, but not any kind of franchise defining player. But for them these players weren't considered "ruined" in the hockey lexicon, but just players that aren't that great which should be the same narrative in the Oilers dark days.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yak/Murray is the only questionable one but I believe Murray would have had more.positice impact than Yak just based on needs.

I refuse to blame the quality of draft classes for the organization bungling the last 15 years. Doesn't even matter that there was no "Superstar" first overalls there. Most organizations would have managed a modicum of success after being gifted 3 first overalls.

I’m not saying it was the only problem but it was definitely part of it. Hall, Seguin, Nuge and Landy are good players but they aren’t Stemkos, Doughty, Kane, Tavares and Hedman. They just aren’t in that tier.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The first overalls that were "gifted" to the Oilers weren't 1st overall quality talent when you compare most 1st overalls in the past 25 years. That's the point.

Would Tampa have taken off if they drafted Murray and RNH instead of Stamkos and Hedman in the years they were "gifted" their picks?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The needle wouldn't move at all. Why it drives me crazy when people go "DUUUUUUUH 1ST OVERALLS RUINED!!!" when the reality is the players just weren't that great in the first place.

What annoys me is Jersey doesn't get hit with the same tag. Hischier is a decent player, but now laughably overpaid and won't be a much better player than Nuge if he even gets to that level. Hughes is off to a good start this year, but if we're being honest with ourselves he isn't going to be much more than a good first liner level talent, but not any kind of franchise defining player. But for them these players weren't considered "ruined" in the hockey lexicon, but just players that aren't that great which should be the same narrative in the Oilers dark days.
Yep besides 2010 I think 2011 and 2012 were easily better years to be in the 5-10 range than at the top. You could get players like Coururier, Reilly or Lindholm. Of course in 2013 a year that actually had both franchise D and forward options at the top we’re at 7 and miss out. Those 4 years couldn’t have been worse timing the way it all worked out.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

The year we drafted Yak, I was on the "trade the pick for immediate help" train.

Weren't there some pretty sweet offers rumored to be dangled our way?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The year we drafted Yak, I was on the "trade the pick for immediate help" train.

The Islanders offered all of their draft picks to move up and draft Murray, so I'm sure something of quality could have been had. Although with how poor that draft was and how poor the Oilers were at dradfting getting all those picks probably would have yielded nothing anyways.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Look I'm not saying those drafts provided the elite players that carry you to a cup. But they provided good enough talent that we should have been far more successful than we were. You can't blame draft class quality for management having no idea how to surround young kids with talent and help them develop. I think it's crazy to actually try and blame the draft class quality as the reason why Edmonton was unable to achieve anything resembling success over that stretch. Most competent organizations would have found a way to start turning themselves around after winning three 1st overalls regardless of whether or not you think they were weak picks.

If you don't agree with that then we agree to disagree.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I was too I was suggesting we trade it straight across for Subban who was in a contract dispute at the time. Montreal had a the 3rd pick and it was rumoured they wanted both sarnia guys. I think I even made a thread on here for our top pick for straight across for PK and most oilers fans hated it of course.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Seeing this thread active again, I just figured that the league randomly took away another of our draft picks. Like when you see someone’s name trending on social media and you fear the worst. Glad to see that’s not the case. For now, anyhow.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad